Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisRobin124

We are at least partially to blame as consumers. Most people book a flight solely based on price and so the airlines cram as many people in as possible to maximize profit and keep prices as low as they can. If consumers showed they would be willing to pay a little more for better service maybe the airlines could/would charge more but offer better service. The explosion of the low cost carriers shows that most people really don’t care. I flew Spirit one time in my life and I will never make that mistake again. You are literally buying a ticket with the promise of the lowest price and zero service. Most people don’t seem to care, they just want to save a few bucks.
That's worked well at WDW. Charge a bit more and offer better.....oops, scratch that.

ChrisRobin124

Actually it has. The experience at WDW compared to Six Flags is night and day. You pay for that experience and many don’t think it’s worth the cost but obviously Disney isn’t hurting for business so it works.
Agreed. But to think that paying more going forward based on recent changes is going to lead to a better guest experience in the future....I think recent trends would point against that happening. It is easy to increase revenue, but continue to provide no greater level of service. Especially when you can still somewhat live on past reputation.

Timmay

Are we actually discussing how to game the system and get an unapproved third dose? I mean, follow the science, right.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Are we actually discussing how to game the system and get an unapproved third dose? I mean, follow the science, right.
I don’t think that’s what the question was. The other poster was asking if it was possible to get a 3rd dose of Moderna if he got the first 2 as Pfizer. My assumption is the manufacturers won’t recommend that but if someone wanted to do it they could pretty easily. I still question whether those 3 shots will count as a full series since they aren’t all the same vaccine. This is all assuming the FDA actually recommends the 3rd shot in the first place. If not then there’s no way to get it except to “game the system” which I agree with you I probably wouldn’t do.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Agreed. But to think that paying more going forward based on recent changes is going to lead to a better guest experience in the future....I think recent trends would point against that happening. It is easy to increase revenue, but continue to provide no greater level of service. Especially when you can still somewhat live on past reputation.
Disney is trying something new and I’m not sure how it will play out. On a spreadsheet it probably looks ideal, but in practice will be very difficult to pull off. We shall see.

That being said it’s not the same as the airlines. In the case of airlines, some actually offered better service in the past and reduced their offerings to compete with the low cost carriers on price. So it would be the equivalent of Disney ending some entertainment and closing rides and shows to cut costs so they could drop ticket prices and compete with 6 flags on admission price. Luckily that hasn’t happened. We typically are comparing Disney to Disney of the past as opposed to competitors.

sullyinMT

I don’t think that’s what the question was. The other poster was asking if it was possible to get a 3rd dose of Moderna if he got the first 2 as Pfizer. My assumption is the manufacturers won’t recommend that but if someone wanted to do it they could pretty easily. I still question whether those 3 shots will count as a full series since they aren’t all the same vaccine. This is all assuming the FDA actually recommends the 3rd shot in the first place. If not then there’s no way to get it except to “game the system” which I agree with you I probably wouldn’t do.
As a Pfizer recipient, who is eight months past second dose 9/9, I’m anxiously awaiting the 9/17 meeting regarding third shots. I realize we’re a small group of people in that first wave, but if effectiveness is waning and a third dose poses marked benefit, I’d selfishly like to know.

For now, I’m holding off walking in to a CVS because the difference of a week isn’t that big of a deal. Plus, I want my paperwork to be “legitimate.” Again, the communication on this is worse than the actual message, and I wish the WH wouldn’t have jumped the gun and created a frenzy before the dust of data settles.

Rich Brownn

There was a time (I was very young) when flying was fun real hot food was served during the flight, kids were shown the cockpit, met the pilots and received wings. At the airport the process from arrival to boarding was simple, uncomplicated. That was a long time ago, now decades, air travel has devolved to an industrial, production line conveyer belt method of transporting life forms from point A - B with no consideration of any comfort or (heaven forbid) convenience.
You got all that, but the price in today's dollars would be like $700 coach one way from NYC to Orlando. There was a reason only 4% of the public had ever flown before deregulation (prices were set by the government). I was a travel agent when deregulation took place. On one day we had 4 standard fares, and 4 airlines into Orlando. A few days later we had 11 airlines and 2,000 fare types.

Lilofan

As a Pfizer recipient, who is eight months past second dose 9/9, I’m anxiously awaiting the 9/17 meeting regarding third shots. I realize we’re a small group of people in that first wave, but if effectiveness is waning and a third dose poses marked benefit, I’d selfishly like to know.

For now, I’m holding off walking in to a CVS because the difference of a week isn’t that big of a deal. Plus, I want my paperwork to be “legitimate.” Again, the communication on this is worse than the actual message, and I wish the WH wouldn’t have jumped the gun and created a frenzy before the dust of data settles.
Just my opinion but if this Delta variant was not in full attack mode and concerning many , some may not have gone ahead before Sept 20 to get the third dose.

Last edited:

Timmay

Just making sure. Thank you.

sullyinMT

Just my opinion but if this Delta variant was not in full attack mode and scaring many including me, some may not have gone ahead before Sept 20 to get the third dose.
Agreed. It’s definitely on our mind with our county’s dumpster fire. Like others, I really though we’d be well above 80% of adults by now, with a whole lot more adolescents also vaccinated. This really should be behind us, at least from a hospitalization/public health standpoint.

Alas, it isn’t, and if my protection from previous doses is waning that puts my unvaccinated 11 year old at risk from his dad again.

The Moderna data delay is equally stressing my wife. She’s an asthmatic with a history of pneumonia during a particularly bad flu infection. I know she and her PCP have been in talks about whether she should wait it out for 1/2 dose booster data or just go ahead and get the 3rd full dose. The current wave and local conditions definitely weigh on the decision.

All this to say that each person “jumping the line” or “gaming the system” has some personal reason to do so, and if walk-ins are widely available there probably isn’t much harm beyond invalid paperwork that will need to be sorted out with employers or travel companies. 1M people now have received an extra dose, and we don’t have any alarming safety concerns around them, AFAIK.

Timmay

Just my opinion but if this Delta variant was not in full attack mode and concerning many , some may not have gone ahead before Sept 20 to get the third dose.
First…September 20th was just a date thrown out there. CDC and FDA have not approved a third dose as of yet, and have said they won’t meet the date of the 20th for any kind of approval. They have also both advised against going out and getting a third dose. So, if one is going to follow the science, they can’t pick and choose which science to follow based on their own personal reasons.

maui2k7

First…September 20th was just a date thrown out there. CDC and FDA have not approved a third dose as of yet, and have said they won’t meet the date of the 20th for any kind of approval. They have also both advised against going out and getting a third dose. So, if one is going to follow the science, they can’t pick and choose which science to follow based on their own personal reasons.
No matter how you slice it, the messaging from the White House has been all over the place for the last several months.

Last edited:

willtravel

Pfizer and Moderna are both working on mRNA based flu shots and both companies are looking into the possibility of creating a combined covid and flu shot if the covid shot becomes an annual thing. Then it’s just one shot a year covering both flu and covid.

The mRNA flu shots could be a game changer as the traditional flu shots need to be manufactured months earlier due to the use of chicken eggs so if they can do it with mRNA they can wait until much later into the Summer to determine which flu strain will be dominant and the shot should be a lot more effective and accurate.
I had heard that the flu shot could be a tuffy this year because there was no flu to speak of last year. Not sure if that is true.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Agreed. It’s definitely on our mind with our county’s dumpster fire. Like others, I really though we’d be well above 80% of adults by now, with a whole lot more adolescents also vaccinated. This really should be behind us, at least from a hospitalization/public health standpoint.

Alas, it isn’t, and if my protection from previous doses is waning that puts my unvaccinated 11 year old at risk from his dad again.

The Moderna data delay is equally stressing my wife. She’s an asthmatic with a history of pneumonia during a particularly bad flu infection. I know she and her PCP have been in talks about whether she should wait it out for 1/2 dose booster data or just go ahead and get the 3rd full dose. The current wave and local conditions definitely weigh on the decision.

All this to say that each person “jumping the line” or “gaming the system” has some personal reason to do so, and if walk-ins are widely available there probably isn’t much harm beyond invalid paperwork that will need to be sorted out with employers or travel companies. 1M people now have received an extra dose, and we don’t have any alarming safety concerns around them, AFAIK.
Some also have gotten the third dose ( ie to prep to visiting Delta ravaged states and or foreign countries with covid issues worse than the USA on company business trips )( living and working in Delta ravaged communities) . FYI - the WH could any day announce that third dose approved to all in USA , ( ie Sept 20 ). In a few days, some savvy folks may be booking appts Sept 20 and forward when those appts come online ( ie your nearby Walgreens locations ). The early bird gets the worm. There are some that will not follow the " 8 month " recommendation and will start booking appts once the third dose Sept 20 actually goes live . Good luck to you.

carolina_yankee

NJ website draws a distinction between third dose and booster, with third dose needed for the immune-compromised, but a potential booster being for the genera public. I haven’t followed too closely, but is it likely the booster would at a different strength than the 3rd dose? If that’s the case, then “jumping the line” might not be a good idea.

I’m Moderna, so I’m definitely going to wait to see what is said about their need. Unfortunately, the local hospital where I got Moderna last January is now exclusively Pfizer, so I’ll have to track down a Moderna site when my time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom