What is Bob Chapek's Vision?

NelsonRD

Original Poster
There is a lot of disagreement towards Bob Iger, but he executed his agenda as discussed in his Masterclass, to include:

1. Invest animation films that he viewed as stagnant since the 1990s (Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm).
2. Use technology in more innovative ways (Disney+).
3. Grow globally, deepening connections to markets around the world (Disney Shanghai).

This was discussed and approved by the board, providing him the opportunity to do so. Eisner had a strong vision as well.

So, what is Bob Chapek's Vision? What are his goals for the company? It couldn't simply be adding fees to everything, or building on Direct to Consumer content. It is also couldn't Galaxy's Edge, or the the customer experience.

Goofyernmost

He can't wait to retire and take that massive accumulated wealth with him along with his gold and platinum parachute. Trust me neither one of the Bob's ever had anything else on their minds. At least Iger did stuff that strengthened the entire company. Lil' Bob Jr., will not be doing that.

Last edited:

Beacon Joe

That all business segments (Parks/Resorts, Studio, Media, Consumer Products) reinforce each other by overlapping products. That's the whole forced IP synergy thing. I suppose that the working hypothesis is that this strengthens customer loyalty that results in increased revenue across all segments, thus countering/managing/mitigating the relative strength of customer bargaining power.

It sounds like a plan that he probably hired some fresh out of business school 20-somethings at McKinsey to develop. I'm sure it probably briefed well on PowerPoint.

I suspect that the consideration or constraint that customer loyalty is not a guaranteed and bottomless pool to suck from didn't even make it into the backup slides.

Last edited:

Splashin' Ryan

The synergy idea only goes so far. You can only implement Moana in so many parks attractions and hotels before it becomes completely disconnected from what it's paired with (we're already there).
Not to mention the idea of synergy is highly overrated. The idea that putting Moana in Epcot will boost attendance there might work but what would work EVEN better would be creating an original attraction with no IP that becomes a classic and keeps people wanting to come back decade after decade. Obviously, this is risky and why TDC no longer wants to take the financial risk even if it could benefit them in the long run.

Beacon Joe

The synergy idea only goes so far. You can only implement Moana in so many parks attractions and hotels before it becomes completely disconnected from what it's paired with (we're already there).
Not to mention the idea of synergy is highly overrated. The idea that putting Moana in Epcot will boost attendance there might work but what would work EVEN better would be creating an original attraction with no IP that becomes a classic and keeps people wanting to come back decade after decade. Obviously, this is risky and why TDC no longer wants to take the financial risk even if it could benefit them in the long run.

I don't think they really thought it through beyond a 3-5 year timeframe. Cars Land was and continues to be an amazing expansion, I will give them that. That's a great example of where his corporate synergy thing shined and actually worked, where an (acquired) studio project was inserted into an existing park and improved it. That IMO is the only such example. And note that Cars Land was an expansion and not a replacement or cheap overlay that leaves guests cold, or frozen if you will. There are many other contemporary examples in which a thematically incoherent replacement takes the grand bloom off of that enchanted rose rather quickly.

And now that I think about it, while Parks and Resorts have suffered the most and done the most damage to customer loyalty (just my opinion), the studios haven't been spared. Really, has throwing together live action films based on original Disney rides proved to be a financial success for the studios, or improved customer engagement with the rides themselves?

Epct82

To follow the lead of his biggest competitor, Universal, and implement as many popular movie franchises into the parks and resorts wherever possible, while abandoning the vision of the company's founder, who knew that some of the best stories ever delivered don't come from film, but the natural wonder and human element of the very planet we live on.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Anyone else remember Paramount's hamfisted attempt to create themepark-IP synergy after they acquired the Taft parks? It was poorly executed and felt forced. "Remember that Paramount film you may have vaguely enjoyed once and not really thought about since? Well, here's that IP cheaply inserted as a poorly fitted overlay on an existing ride that enhances neither the attraction nor the IP. Oh, and we'll raise the prices across the board, too. The guests will feel financially squeezed and like they've experienced 8 hours of unwanted and intrusive marketing."

Bob Chapek: "Wow, that sounds like a formula for pure gold!"

Cadbury

Bugs Bunny Money GIF by Looney Tunes

Mark Dunne

his vision is to truly seperate rich from poor, cos how else can you explain genie to me, he will be booted out the boardroom within a year,you watch, the disgust will be so strong with genie,that the shareholders will want him gone, bad word of mouth and social media are incredibly strong tools in todays world, lets break this down, no magical express,pay for rides on top of park tickets, a true split between moderate and luxury hotels for magic hours, $5.50 for bottle of water,$ 30-50 for mickey and minnie ears, DDP out the window, im british, but really feel for you americans, this is your company built in America , invented by an American,and now you have the greed makes all this taking away a real kick in the teeth, sorry fro rant, bit it makes me mad,

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom