News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trauma

It’s as simple as who in charge is advocating for masks and vaccinations. That’s all it is. Sheep can’t sheep without a shepherd they approve of. It’s a black and white nation.
This is not true.

The constant among the unvaccinated is distrust in government.

This viewpoint is also help by many minority populations also refusing to get vaccinated.

It’s not as simple as black and white.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Eh no they did not, The CDC’s own studies show states without mask mandates and not keeping people indoors the virus spread more slowly.

That said it was probably letting people outside where UV light kills the virus quickly and efficiently and everyone using hand sanitizer which probably made the difference.

masks against a virus are a talisman not an effective defense.

The CDC has clearly said masks slow the spread, and provided plenty of science to support that...

Disstevefan1

I know you’ve been busy…but kids are not eligible

and please can we not to the “doesn’t hurt kids” thing? It’s unknown and they can carry it.
My comment was only about masks. If I had young kids, our family, kids included, would stay away. As much as folks want to think they know about this virus and variants, there is a lot unknown.

I think the worst message out there is, “if you get the vaccine, the pandemic is over and you can do anything you wish”.

I am against shutdowns. It’s too bad we couldn’t have the hand washing, self awareness, masks, distancing AND the vaccine. That probably would have worked but who knows…

Parker in NYC

This is not true.

The constant among the unvaccinated is distrust in government.

This viewpoint is also help by many minority populations also refusing to get vaccinated.

It’s not as simple as black and white.
Then don’t involve the government. Involve the conspiracy theorists and talking heads with number one ratings. Free merchandise and a Cracker Jack decoder ring.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The effectiveness of seatbelts and airbags are readily identifiable in repeated crash tests, as well as real world data.
And why did we even need to test those theories?

Because cars were going out of control and crashing into each other and other things
Driver stupidity

AEfx

So are the masks…

you were having a good morning…now you’re full on faux

all of this was studied in simulations about disrupting air/droplet patterns last year.

what they typically can do is put the particles back on the person themselves…
…funny since the “I wear a mask to protect everyone else” was repeated a billion times, huh?

LOL, someone mentioned it yesterday, and they are absolutely correct - the collective memory around here is apparently terrible.

Masks (and social distancing) are what kept us from going under before there was a vaccine. However, the car analogies are very apt - we didn't stop wearing seat belts when they invented air bags. Safety measures used IN CONCERT with each other, don't just trump each other. We are in the mess we are right now because we dropped them so quickly.

That said, yes, I think it is really dumb that they are doing just masks and not masks and social distancing.

But then again, I think going to Disney, which is a Petri dish in even the best of non-pandemic circumstances, right now, in the middle of a pandemic surge, to Florida, which is the hot spot of all hot spots of infections right now - is pretty much the wackiest idea I have ever heard. But that's just me.

Trauma

LOL, someone mentioned it yesterday, and they are absolutely correct - the collective memory around here is apparently terrible.

Masks (and social distancing) are what kept us from going under before there was a vaccine. However, the car analogies are very apt - we didn't stop wearing seat belts when they invented air bags. Safety measures used IN CONCERT with each other, don't just trump each other. We are in the mess we are right now because we dropped them so quickly.

That said, yes, I think it is really dumb that they are doing just masks and not masks and social distancing.

But then again, I think going to Disney, which is a Petri dish in even the best of non-pandemic circumstances, right now, in the middle of a pandemic surge, to Florida, which is the hot spot of all hot spots of infections right now - is pretty much the wackiest idea I have ever heard. But that's just me.
Then the parks should close end of discussion.

Trauma

Also the car analogy is not very apt.

We are selectively choosing safety measures instead of using all that is available.

AEfx

We are selectively choosing safety measures instead of using all that is available.

And how has that gone so far?

No, we completely dropped masking and social distancing, which were quite clearly helping, when vaccinations started to stall as a stupid attempt to encourage more people to be vaccinated. That utterly failed. The "science" about making and social distancing did not change, they simply used it as a last ditch effort to get people vaccinated. Again, utterly failed, they all just ripped off the masks anyway.

If we had kept it up a bit longer, we just might not be in such a mess now.

lewisc

Government should be encouraging business to restrict services to customers who are vaccinated. or Offer modified experience to the unvaccinated.

Federal government should have facilitated vaccine passports, to those who want one.
State and local government shouldn't be banning such practices.

Trauma

No, we completely dropped masking and social distancing, which were quite clearly helping, when vaccinations started to stall as a stupid attempt to encourage more people to be vaccinated. That utterly failed. The "science" about making and social distancing did not change, they simply used it as a last ditch effort to get people vaccinated. Again, utterly failed, they all just ripped off the masks anyway.

If we had kept it up a bit longer, we just might not be in such a mess now.
My point is currently we are masking without social distancing.

We are not taking all available safety measures.

Tony the Tigger

The effectiveness of seatbelts and airbags are readily identifiable in repeated crash tests, as well as real world data.
And most of the time wearing/using them is a waste.

I've never used an airbag. My spouse has once.

I've never been stopped going through the windshield by a seatbelt. Yet, I endure the minor discomfort of wearing one every day (remembering fondly the days I could drive without wearing one.)

These are things we do to protect ourselves and society, even if they never do anything, like it or not.

Tony the Tigger

Government should be encouraging business to restrict services to customers who are vaccinated. or Offer modified experience to the unvaccinated.

Federal government should have facilitated vaccine passports, to those who want one.
State and local government shouldn't be banning such practices.
So here's the deal as a small business owner.

pre-Delta:

My philosophy was this: we were open for business before vaccines existed. We took all kinds of precautions to include requiring masks, social distancing, limiting foot traffic when necessary, ventilating, as well as disinfecting door handles, credit card machines, etc. My priority was protecting my employees and my customers to the best of my ability. If any of them got covid, it would not be through my negligence.

Business ran smoothly, numbers were up. In fact, even being closed for two months, 2020 beat 2019 numbers.

Once vaccines were available, why would I eliminate a portion of my customer base who had been shopping safely all along? It would be inconsistent. All things being equal plus some people vaccinated meant we were in a safer place than before the vaccines were available.

Theoretically, if I had one vaccinated employee (or myself) in the place with one or two vaccinated customers, we could all take our masks off. But the Government messed that up by prohibiting us from asking for proof of vaccine.

Now, there are cases where I know the customer well, and they know me well, and we each voluntarily share the fact that we are vaccinated - with no reason to doubt each other, and we take our masks off until someone else comes in. That more pleasant experience could happen a lot more often if not for Government restrictions here in backwards Florida.

The other thing that messed things up was the Government voiding local mask mandates. Now I have to be the heavy in enforcing mask mandates in my own business. Every once in awhile, my employees take some verbal abuse including recently being called the gay f word.

I would be totally fine with the vaccinated going maskless, if I could ask each customer at the door. I can't. (How stupid is that?)

Now, with Delta: I would be (and still am) requiring masks of every person in the building.

All employees are fully vaccinated (only one is in the two-week waiting period, but he had COVID before Christmas - got it from his girlfriend.)

So my minor disagreement with you is the government should not be encouraging me to only serve the vaccinated. But yes, they should be providing passports and I should be able to offer a different experience to the unvaccinated (wear masks, maybe curbside pick up, etc.) And they should not be interfering in either me conducting my business or my community enforcing mandates appropriate for our community.

This Governor in Florida is making my business and life needlessly more difficult and dangerous.

DisneyCane

And most of the time wearing/using them is a waste.

I've never used an airbag. My spouse has once.

I've never been stopped going through the windshield by a seatbelt. Yet, I endure the minor discomfort of wearing one every day (remembering fondly the days I could drive without wearing one.)

These are things we do to protect ourselves and society, even if they never do anything, like it or not.
You can elect not to wear a seatbelt. Although it's "the law" to wear one you're not going to lose your driver's license if you don't. You're pretty unlikely to even get a ticket for it. People texting while driving on I-95 are very obvious and I've yet to see somebody pulled over for that.

This seatbelt analogy with masks is not very valid. A seatbelt will protect you from certain types of injuries in close to 100% of crashes. Masking, especially with real world mask materials and real world "technique," isn't going to stop anywhere near 100% of transmissions.

In the CDC powerpoint, they say 40%-60% effective for source control and 20%-30% for personal protection. Nothing like seatbelts and not even close to the protection from the vaccines, even against Delta.

DisneyCane

So here's the deal as a small business owner.

pre-Delta:

My philosophy was this: we were open for business before vaccines existed. We took all kinds of precautions to include requiring masks, social distancing, limiting foot traffic when necessary, ventilating, as well as disinfecting door handles, credit card machines, etc. My priority was protecting my employees and my customers to the best of my ability. If any of them got covid, it would not be through my negligence.

Business ran smoothly, numbers were up. In fact, even being closed for two months, 2020 beat 2019 numbers.

Once vaccines were available, why would I eliminate a portion of my customer base who had been shopping safely all along? It would be inconsistent. All things being equal plus some people vaccinated meant we were in a safer place than before the vaccines were available.

Theoretically, if I had one vaccinated employee (or myself) in the place with one or two vaccinated customers, we could all take our masks off. But the Government messed that up by prohibiting us from asking for proof of vaccine.

Now, there are cases where I know the customer well, and they know me well, and we each voluntarily share the fact that we are vaccinated - with no reason to doubt each other, and we take our masks off until someone else comes in. That more pleasant experience could happen a lot more often if not for Government restrictions here in backwards Florida.

The other thing that messed things up was the Government voiding local mask mandates. Now I have to be the heavy in enforcing mask mandates in my own business. Every once in awhile, my employees take some verbal abuse including recently being called the gay f word.

I would be totally fine with the vaccinated going maskless, if I could ask each customer at the door. I can't. (How stupid is that?)

Now, with Delta: I would be (and still am) requiring masks of every person in the building.

All employees are fully vaccinated (only one is in the two-week waiting period, but he had COVID before Christmas - got it from his girlfriend.)

So my minor disagreement with you is the government should not be encouraging me to only serve the vaccinated. But yes, they should be providing passports and I should be able to offer a different experience to the unvaccinated (wear masks, maybe curbside pick up, etc.) And they should not be interfering in either me conducting my business or my community enforcing mandates appropriate for our community.

This Governor in Florida is making my business and life needlessly more difficult and dangerous.
Except you can ask people if they are vaccinated and allow the vaccinated to go maskless while those who either won't disclose or aren't would have to wear a mask. The only requirement of the law is that you don't deny service to the unvaccinated. You can use the CDC card as proof. I don't know what your business is but I can't imagine it is the type that would get people motivated to fake vaccination cards just so they can not wear a mask inside your business.

To try and avoid abuse of employees, I'd suggest a large sign that says "masks required by ownership, if you don't wish to comply don not enter" or something like that.

skypilot2922

I actually hope it does move more to get vaccinated but I don’t know it will honestly. I hate that those vaccinated have to be the billboard however to try to persuade them. Those who wanted it already have it I think but we’ll see if it goes up again.

I wish everyone would get it but I’m on the fence about employers forcing it. Now if they want to only allow vaccinated in for example at WDW (with kids exceptions) I would be ok with that considering where we are right now

My employer required it as the majority of us are in professional services, But I would have gotten it anyway as I have a lot of older relatives who are much more vulnerable than I. Now I would like to see a voluntary vaccine passport because it would be incredibly useful as long as it had a standard format so I could bypass the checks, The peeps who want to make a political statement well they can be free to deal with all the hassles as well if they don't want the passport.

Remember De'santis basically prevented GOVERNMENT Agencies from mandating a vaccine passports, Just imagine political jurisdictions and departments all creating incompatible and non-interoperable vaccine passports all of which you are required to get and carry you could have literally DOZENS of them.

Unfortunately the Fed's completely screwed up on vaccinations because they did not create a EHR for vax I got my vax at a state/federal site. Since I use CLEAR at airports and CLEAR has a vaccine passport application, Thought this should be simple, Nope cant do feds did not record my vaccination electronically like your local walgreens would have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom