Construction between Contemporary and TTC

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Humor me as I like the idea of a bridge starting from the 2nd or 3rd floor. What prevents them from having an elevator on the other side (non resort bank, like the ones at disney springs)?
The idea is providing a way to walk from the TTA to the MK/Contemporary via an Eastern route.

Just like the hordes exiting the MK on super-busy nights can now loudly plow thru the labyrinthine paths GF and Poly to get to the TTA, it would be nice to also have another route (for the days the monarial is broke and it's too windy for ferries and so buses are the only option left).

Using an elevator at any part of the journey or relying on an escalator working isn't a great idea if you want to have ways of egress that still work in a black out.

There's plenty of space for a walkover bridge. Disney needs to decide if they want it. Or if any new resort in that area would benefit from it (or be a touted feature to justify higher prices) considering a new resort would put extra operational pressure on a system already overloaded.

TransportationGuy

Is there such a thing as a removable span? Like a crane or lift barge, that literally picks up the span and moves it into Bay Lake or the Lagoon, the two nights, a few months apart, every however many years, that the Liberty Belle or a large vessel would need passage? While the other however many days it isn't needed, can be bolted into place? Can you rent something like that?
While I assume this could be achieved with the correct amount of money and engineering, it’s also worth noting that all three ferries also have to move through here for their maintenance/dry docks. As such, the traffic would be more significant than twice a year and would shut off guest access to Contemporary/BLT for a while each time it was moved.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
While I assume this could be achieved with the correct amount of money and engineering, it’s also worth noting that all three ferries also have to move through here for their maintenance/dry docks. As such, the traffic would be more significant than twice a year and would shut off guest access to Contemporary/BLT for a while each time it was moved.
How much time to you think a draw bridge is up to let a boat thru?

Ayla

Found it. I couldn’t find any info with a google search, but should have known I probably saw it in a Martin video.
I was asking because I was wondering if there was a special way it was accomplished or a bridge or something, but being it was just temporary, I’d assume it just went up the road and back.

The tram ride shown in the first 10 minutes of that video goes to the TTC.

EeyoreFan#24

I do think a draw bridge is cost prohibitive right now, but if they had almost daily openings at Epcot, they could handle the canal if they made it where only the ferry and liberty bell would need it opened.

Also would be weird with the tunnel for the cars. I wonder what the lifespan on the water bridge is. Road bridges have a desired lifespan, so I wonder if maybe any development sees an entire rework of the entire setup.

Ultimately, it probably depends on what the budget for any resort is over there, as it will surely be marketed as “walking distance”

Robbiem

I found a video of the route to the contemporary- about 4:55 is when it goes under the tunnel.

Its a bit dark but you can see the walkway appears to be quite wide. I’m sure it could be barriered off in the same way the walkway under the smaller tunnel to the TTC from the Magic Kingdom car park is. It wouldn’t be ideal but given that a walking path would only have to be next to the road on the ramps and tunnel itself before they separate off it wouldn’t be too long and it’s likely to cope with the foot traffic you would get. you could even theme the barrier. Imagine passing through modern version of the image works rainbow tunnel to get to the contemporary

JoeCamel

I found a video of the route to the contemporary- about 4:55 is when it goes under the tunnel.

Its a bit dark but you can see the walkway appears to be quite wide. I’m sure it could be barriered off in the same way the walkway under the smaller tunnel to the TTC from the Magic Kingdom car park is. It wouldn’t be ideal but given that a walking path would only have to be next to the road on the ramps and tunnel itself before they separate off it wouldn’t be too long and it’s likely to cope with the foot traffic you would get. you could even theme the barrier. Imagine passing through modern version of the image works rainbow tunnel to get to the contemporary

Having walked it I can assure you it does not feel wide

cranbiz

Also would be weird with the tunnel for the cars. I wonder what the lifespan on the water bridge is. Road bridges have a desired lifespan, so I wonder if maybe any development sees an entire rework of the entire setup.
So far, it's been 50 years.🤣

The sidewalk under the water bridge is slightly smaller than the sidewalk under Seven Seas Dr at the TTC. If Disney really wanted to, a nice looking barrier could be fitted to the sidewalk in that area to limit pedestrian access to the roadway in that area. I don't see enough people using this walkway to worry about it in the near future. All bets are off though if they do build a resort on that land.

Robbiem

So far, it's been 50 years.🤣

The sidewalk under the water bridge is slightly smaller than the sidewalk under Seven Seas Dr at the TTC. If Disney really wanted to, a nice looking barrier could be fitted to the sidewalk in that area to limit pedestrian access to the roadway in that area. I don't see enough people using this walkway to worry about it in the near future. All bets are off though if they do build a resort on that land.
Does anyone know how many people walk from the TTC or the Polynesian to the Magic Kingdom? I can’t see too many people making that trek, compared to numbers walking to their cars from the TTC so the width under the water bridge wouldn’t be too much of a bottleneck, just a not a very nice section to walk through. The rest of the walkway could move away from the road to give a mostly nice walking path.

In reality most people though would take the monorail from the new resort and you could also have boat service. A walkway from the site to the TTC could be more useful though

cranbiz

Does anyone know how many people walk from the TTC or the Polynesian to the Magic Kingdom? I can’t see too many people making that trek, compared to numbers walking to their cars from the TTC so the width under the water bridge wouldn’t be too much of a bottleneck, just a not a very nice section to walk through. The rest of the walkway could move away from the road to give a mostly nice walking path.

In reality most people though would take the monorail from the new resort and you could also have boat service. A walkway from the site to the TTC could be more useful though
In my 5 years as a CM, I could count on one hand the number of people I saw walking from the TTC area To the MK. It has always been discouraged due to no sidewalks from the tunnel to the TTC area.

Nubs70

One would think walking from TTC to MK via tunnel would be actively prohibited based on the Duisberg Love Parade incident.

hopemax

In my 5 years as a CM, I could count on one hand the number of people I saw walking from the TTC area To the MK. It has always been discouraged due to no sidewalks from the tunnel to the TTC area.
You missed the great migration the morning of October 1, 2011.

You see, Disney announced there would be 40th anniversary merchandise. So people arrived at the TTC and the parking lot was open 5 or 6, I can't remember. But no transportation. When people figured it out they started their migration. My Dad was among them, after dropping my Mom off at the Contemporary sidewalk.

People with scooters, pushing wheelchairs. And it was still dark outside. My Dad didn't get to see everything that happened, because unlike everyone else, he knew about a short cut through the bus parking area so he stayed ahead of everyone else.

cranbiz

You missed the great migration the morning of October 1, 2011.

You see, Disney announced there would be 40th anniversary merchandise. So people arrived at the TTC and the parking lot was open 5 or 6, I can't remember. But no transportation. When people figured it out they started their migration. My Dad was among them, after dropping my Mom off at the Contemporary sidewalk.

People with scooters, pushing wheelchairs. And it was still dark outside. My Dad didn't get to see everything that happened, because unlike everyone else, he knew about a short cut through the bus parking area so he stayed ahead of everyone else.
Yes, that was after I left the company.

However, that was an abnormality and not an everyday occurrence.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I think he is talking about going from the TTC to MK the long way which has only been possible for less then a year now.

Robbiem

I think he is talking about going from the TTC to MK the long way which has only been possible for less then a year now.
That was my original question. I wondered how busy the new walkway is with people going from the TTC to Magic Kingdom via the Poly and Grand Flo, or from the Poly to Magic Kingdom? I can’t imagine that many people would walk that route at any one time. I wonder how it compares to people walking from crescent lake to the studios?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom