Trip Report What is that?! WDW with our toddler - May 2021

Hi friends! I know I said I wasn't going back until the pandemic changes were OVERRRRR but the pull of Disney magic was too great for our family to resist, and we wanted to get a trip in while the kid was still free. We got extremely lucky that our trip fell after the mask requirements were lifted outdoors! That was a HUGE win for us.

I'm still editing my photos, but wanted to go ahead and get this going.

Who: Me, my husband (R) and our daughter (LP). For this trip we'll pretend she's not quite 2, since I didn't put a mask on her 🤫
When: May 22-26, 3 park days
Where: Art of Animation, Lion King suite

ba1c0b75-c574-4d70-9430-8d3199b6c522.JPG

She's so darn cute, even when she doesn't smile!

The title is from LP's new thing, which is asking "what is that" CONSTANTLY. Half the time I have no idea what she's asking about, but there was plenty to tell her about at WDW!

Alright back to editing pictures, can't wait to share all about our trip!

38053WDW

Travel Day - May 22

Let's get started with our travel day. Flight options from Memphis are very limited. Basically, I have one non-stop option and I'm always going to do that option because layovers are the worst. Our flight out on Saturday was at 6pm, which was actually somewhat convenient because LP got a full nap in before we got on the road.

We mistakenly planned to eat something at the airport. There was NOTHING open. No restaurants (there's only like 3 anyway), no grab and go, nothing. We got a bag of Lays from the magazine stand. Thankfully LP had plenty of snacks, and that's basically all she eats anyway.

So I'll go ahead and address this early on, LP is almost 2.5. I honestly don't understand how people are getting their 2 year olds to wear a mask, but I was just kind of holding my breath that I could pass her off as under 2. I tried to put one on her before security and she was not having it! So I abandoned that. The first time anyone said anything was as we were boarding. The person scanning boarding passes asked how old she was and I instinctively said 2 :banghead: She just said "She'll need to wear a face covering" and sent us on our way. I just said ok and did nothing. I promise I'm a rule follower, but I was not interested in fighting her to wear a mask for 4 days!

We boarded early, but then just sat there a while.

One of the things I got to keep her busy on the plane. She liked it! She went between this and the ipad basically every 3 minutes....for 1.5 hours. I was like, kid...PICK ONE!! :hilarious: Why do I have the one kid that doesn't get sucked into a screen when you turn on a show? It would come in handy on plane rides.

"What is that?"
"the wing"
"what is that?"
"the wing"
(repeat x200)

She discovered how to take selfies and that kept her busy for a while. One of them was a video and it was just her banging her finger into the screen. It was hilarious.

Got to watch a lovely sunset from the air!

We landed early but had no gate! We pulled into a gate on time. I sent R over to get Jersey Mikes because this was not going to play out like our last trip with LP where we had to use Uber Eats to get Qdoba at like 11:30pm. I saw that Landscape of Flavors closed at 10, and I didn't want to risk it. LP got on our first ride of the trip...

The fonorail!

We were waiting for our luggage when I heard an announcement that our carousel had changed, so I moved down. Then the driver we hired called me and said he was waiting at the other carousel. I told him our new location and he met us down there and helped us with our bags. Then we waited a couple of minutes for R to make it down with the sandwiches. Then we were on our way!

The driver was very professional and quiet. I got his name from a fellow forum member, but she doesn't really get on here much anymore. If you see this, Tracy, THANKS! He was in a Mears car, but I booked him outside of Mears and he seemed to prefer me pay cash. R thought it was sketchy :hilarious:

It was about 10 when he dropped us off (we're about 1.5 hours past LP's bedtime, but she was going strong!)

This lobby is so pretty!

We had to stop at the front desk to check in because we were using a passholder discount and our passes weren't active yet. Because of that (I think) online checkin wasn't working. This only took about 15 minutes, then we were on our way to our Lion King suite. It was not a very long walk at all! I pulled a newbie move and didn't have my magic bands out, so they gave us cards to use, which worked great to get us in the room. We quickly got LP settled down and put her in the pack-n-play in the bedroom area.

I'd placed an Instacart order earlier, so I called down to the bell services to have it delivered. I actually did this before we put LP down since that bedroom is where the phone is.

R and I ate our dinner and got settled on the pull out couch in the bedroom. We waited and waited and waited on bell services and they never showed. I finally gave up and fell asleep a little after midnight and I barely slept. I don't know if it was the bed or the fact that I was still somewhat listening for a knock at the door. I don't know what happened with that, maybe they knocked and I didn't hear it? Who knows.

Up next is our first park day!
A fellow MEM to MCO ....

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing and we'll be looking forward to your next report!! And happy early birthday!

Thanks so much! It's still a ways away, but thanks :hilarious: Officially about to be mid-30s

Overall, looks like you guys had a great trip! I miss my kids being that age, but at the same time, I don't really miss them being that age!! I love that we can enjoy all of the attractions together now, but seeing the magic of Disney in their eyes at that age is priceless! Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us! Can't wait to hear about the next one!

I agree, it was a great trip! Good far outweighed the challenging moments. I am loving the toddler stage despite it requiring me to think on my feet a lot more, she's just so fun! I think each phase of childhood will be fun in different ways.

Thanks for sharing and enjoy your adult only trip. I’m sure each time you bring LP it will get easier. When my DD was young, she was pretty easy going and laid back and she napped really well in a stroller but she‘d really get out of sorts sleeping overnight somewhere other than home. Luckily I picked up on this fairly early in her life and as much as possible would limit the number of nights we’d be away from home.

I see a lot of reports on here with kids that nap in the stroller! I wish she would, but I am grateful she naps well back in the room and sleeps well overnight. I bet when she's older she'll catnap in the stroller. With her taking 2 hour naps still, I guess that would be difficult to manage :hilarious:

I think R is a great Dad. He as already learned his limits and knows if he sticks around things may get worse. Great report!

I agree! We have figured out when we need to take over for each other, and it works for us. We know our limits and we really try hard to keep yelling to a minimum. Sometimes walking away is the only way to prevent that 🙈 Thanks so much for following along!

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Park Day 3 - May 25

Great report! Thank you so much for sharing!

Sorry the silhouette didn't come out great. You know I've "noticed" that stand before, but never paid any real attention to what it was, until I saw vlogger we love watching did it very recently. When I saw how they did it I was stunned! They DON'T sketch it first correct?
Somebody is looking at you and cutting it of a piece of paper!!?? I don't understand how this is even possible? How do you develop this skill?

Lastly I just want to say, you take some great pictures, but arguably the one above is the best of the lot for so many reasons! :)

Thanks again for taking us along for the ride!

joshsprincess921

Ok so the silhouette is cute. But it's not as cute as I hoped 😬 He made her hair weirdly tall. If I think about it later, I'll grab a photo on my phone and post it. R thought it looked weird. I still have it displayed in the house anyway!

R was losing it too, and I just told him to walk away. I don't know where he went, but whatever. I can keep my cool much easier when he isn't around. And I don't want it to sound like he is a bad dad, he's definitely not. Sometimes he's the one who is patient with her when I'm touched out! Most of the time in public though, he can't handle it.

Our silhouette of Cam was weird too. It looks nothing like him, but I have it displayed too. :joyfull:

Also, my husband and I are the same way. I'm much better at keeping my cool in public, but he has no patience and gets overly frustrated, it gets me frustrated and then it's not good for anyone. But then like you said, sometimes he's the more patient one and he's looking at me like I need to chill out. Oh the joys of parenthood! Just know you are not alone. :)

Loved the report. LP is just so cute!

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Great report! Thank you so much for sharing!

Sorry the silhouette didn't come out great. You know I've "noticed" that stand before, but never paid any real attention to what it was, until I saw vlogger we love watching did it very recently. When I saw how they did it I was stunned! They DON'T sketch it first correct?
Somebody is looking at you and cutting it of a piece of paper!!?? I don't understand how this is even possible? How do you develop this skill?

Lastly I just want to say, you take some great pictures, but arguably the one above is the best of the lot for so many reasons! :)

Thanks again for taking us along for the ride!

It is pretty impressive!! Even if it doesn't come out exactly perfect, it's a neat souvenir to have to commemorate the trip. And yes, I love those pictures of her eating! She's a hoot.

I read this too fast initially 😂😂

View attachment 564261

Wonderful TR as always! It was fun/interesting to see the addition of toddler chaos into the mix. You and R handled it like champs.

HAHAHA!! This made me LOL. Thanks for following along! I think we earned a new parenthood badge taking her again. It's an accomplishment :hilarious:

@sheriffwoody , our granddaughter had the same dress (pic taken in September of ‘19)...!!! :)

View attachment 564666View attachment 564667
OMG so precious!! It's a great dress, @Doc Disney did good picking it out 😍 When she grows out of it, I'm going to have to find another pretty Janie & Jack dress to be her favorite.

Our silhouette of Cam was weird too. It looks nothing like him, but I have it displayed too. :joyfull:

Also, my husband and I are the same way. I'm much better at keeping my cool in public, but he has no patience and gets overly frustrated, it gets me frustrated and then it's not good for anyone. But then like you said, sometimes he's the more patient one and he's looking at me like I need to chill out. Oh the joys of parenthood! Just know you are not alone. :)

Loved the report. LP is just so cute!

Haha definitely in that same boat! It gives me greater respect for single parents for sure :oops: Having to be the level-headed one at all times would be sooooo hard!

Thanks so much for reading! Hopefully we'll both get better silhouettes next time :hilarious:

Swissmiss

Premium Member
It is pretty impressive!! Even if it doesn't come out exactly perfect, it's a neat souvenir to have to commemorate the trip. And yes, I love those pictures of her eating! She's a hoot.

HAHAHA!! This made me LOL. Thanks for following along! I think we earned a new parenthood badge taking her again. It's an accomplishment :hilarious:

OMG so precious!! It's a great dress, @Doc Disney did good picking it out 😍 When she grows out of it, I'm going to have to find another pretty Janie & Jack dress to be her favorite.

Haha definitely in that same boat! It gives me greater respect for single parents for sure :oops: Having to be the level-headed one at all times would be sooooo hard!

Thanks so much for reading! Hopefully we'll both get better silhouettes next time :hilarious:

Thought I’d pipe in as a single parent by choice - comparing my experience to what I observed with couples with kids, it was often easier to be a single parent: you decide and no one else contradicts you, or undermines your decision or changes the rules or says at the last minute they cannot do the school pick up (I’d hear that one a lot from some of my friends).

The experience is not the same with teenagers though, because it Is a much more delicate balance to ensure that they are disciplined but not shut out. I know my teen often complains to her friends that I am unreasonably strict on some issues, but then she’ll tell me that one the one hand her friends agree I am strict, but on the other hand they think it‘s « cool » that I care enough to put limits on her.

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Thought I’d pipe in as a single parent by choice - comparing my experience to what I observed with couples with kids, it was often easier to be a single parent: you decide and no one else contradicts you, or undermines your decision or changes the rules or says at the last minute they cannot do the school pick up (I’d hear that one a lot from some of my friends).

The experience is not the same with teenagers though, because it Is a much more delicate balance to ensure that they are disciplined but not shut out. I know my teen often complains to her friends that I am unreasonably strict on some issues, but then she’ll tell me that one the one hand her friends agree I am strict, but on the other hand they think it‘s « cool » that I care enough to put limits on her.
That's a good point! Discipline is going to be the source of a lot of arguments, I can already tell. If only I could just do things my way! I'm nervous about teenage years. My mom was like you, she set boundaries for me, but I also felt close with her and like I could come to her about anything. So that's the environment I hope to create!

Songbird76

That's a good point! Discipline is going to be the source of a lot of arguments, I can already tell. If only I could just do things my way! I'm nervous about teenage years. My mom was like you, she set boundaries for me, but I also felt close with her and like I could come to her about anything. So that's the environment I hope to create!
You never know. You may get lucky with the teen years. My daughter just turned 15 a couple of months ago and she is the easiest kid on the planet. Her grades are awesome, she's very responsible, I don't have to get on her to do homework, she has a great group of friends and so far she is not at all remotely interested in romantic relationships because she says she just doesn't want one, and she doesn't feel like she has time even if she DID want one. What you model for your daughter will be a big influence, and it sounds like you had a good relationship with your own mom, so that will help you out!

Ears to Disney

The way she looks at a Mickey Bar! :inlove:

Ursula was getting a **** job :hilarious:
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: This is the best!
We found Ariel!! People always complain about how far the Little Mermaid rooms are from everything. They're right. It's far.
Sooooo far! We stayed there in 2015 and it took a toll on us by the end of the visit.
We continued around World Showcase. I would have stopped at the Mexico booth, but it was closed. R had mentioned it was closed when he was there too, so I guess they were closing early for some reason.
It was closed when we were there around the same time. It was strange.
Ivanhoe Park Brewing Co. Hibiscus Guavacation Sour Beer, Orlando, FL (new) – 6 oz $4.50

R had this the night before, and I thought it sounded good. It was!! We like sours around here
We love a good Sour beer as well! We have a brewery here in Buffalo, Thin Man, that makes some great ones! I am sad I didn't try this one while there.

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
You never know. You may get lucky with the teen years. My daughter just turned 15 a couple of months ago and she is the easiest kid on the planet. Her grades are awesome, she's very responsible, I don't have to get on her to do homework, she has a great group of friends and so far she is not at all remotely interested in romantic relationships because she says she just doesn't want one, and she doesn't feel like she has time even if she DID want one. What you model for your daughter will be a big influence, and it sounds like you had a good relationship with your own mom, so that will help you out!
Aww that is so great!! Yes I have a great relationship with my mom, and my husband does with his mom as well. We are very very lucky!

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
The way she looks at a Mickey Bar! :inlove:

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: This is the best!

Sooooo far! We stayed there in 2015 and it took a toll on us by the end of the visit.

It was closed when we were there around the same time. It was strange.

We love a good Sour beer as well! We have a brewery here in Buffalo, Thin Man, that makes some great ones! I am sad I didn't try this one while there.
If I ever make it up to Buffalo, I'll have to look for that!! I'll definitely see if they sell them around here too. My husband would be thrilled to find some new ones to try.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom