HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

PiratesMansion

Let’s see how the HKDL/gov response to these questions by a public regarding the latest update of the HKDL. For those who can’t read chinese, the letter stated several questions, including
1. Is the government planned to sell the shares of the Joint venture with Walt disney? (I hope HKSAR sell the shares so the Disney can plan the future development of HKDL without intervening by the government, but the government probably won’t sell the shares.)
2. Please provide the latest timeline for the Frozen attractions.
3. Will the Marvel attraction open in 2023 as scheduled or any latest timeline.
4. Did the government discuss with Disney about the future development of the HKDL resort after the right to purchase second phase land expired.
5. Did the government have timeline regarding the shopping, entertainment and dining area (downtown disney).
6. Questions about the board of directors
The government seling its shares would probably NOT be a benefit for the resort. It's primarily because the government is pushing expansion and development that anything is happening with the resort at all.

If not for the government pushing for expansion, Hong Kong Disneyland would probably be sitting there treading water with Disney trying as hard as possible to ignore its existence without actually closing it (I mean...more so than it's doing right now). It would be right where WDS in Paris was until very recently.

The revamps of DCA, WDS, and HKDL would not have happened without organizations outside of Disney (in HKDL's case, the government) pushing them into being. It probably would give Disney more freedom to act according to its own whims, but as recent history has seen, almost all of the best rides/attractions/areas/etc that have been developed in the Iger years have been in resorts where Disney has co-ownership or no ownership stake. That's not a coincidence or an accident. Disney, if left to its own devices, would do as little as possible, as cheaply as possible. To my understanding, without the government's insistence, none of the post-2009 expansions would have happened at all.

Thus, getting rid of the government would have little to no upside for the future of HKDL.

Last edited:

ParkPeeker

I did a projection of how the Frozen mountain could look down mainstreet assuming it’s 40 meters tall
204606C8-C05D-4E79-AC8E-F4E2D808DBDD.jpeg

Its unfortunate from this pov. The real mountains ruin the illusion. If it were 10 meters higher, the tallest tip would pretty much be completely over the mountain behind it, which would’ve been better.
Here’s another angle down Main Street. They’re gunna have to plant really tall trees 🌲 between fantasyland and frozenland.
A5179CC3-85FF-4CFC-AB50-6B246BC986D4.jpeg

Credit to hkmsg for construction pics

ParkPeeker

I meant in terms of scale/the forced perspective. It’s supposed to be a giant ice castle atop the tallest peak, but the real mountains kinda ruins that illusion imo. like it looks like a much smaller mountain than if there were no mountains behind it. But good point mountains with mountains it matches ( I think that’s what you were getting at).

I mean its gunna look way better than my shoddy edit hastily posted at 2am xD. But in terms of shape and size I think it’s a pretty accurate depiction of how it‘ll look, and I can’t get over the way bigger mountains behind it from this view.

MagicHK

I did a projection of how the Frozen mountain could look down mainstreet assuming it’s 40 meters tallView attachment 562552

Its unfortunate from this pov. The real mountains ruin the illusion. If it were 10 meters higher, the tallest tip would pretty much be completely over the mountain behind it, which would’ve been better.
Here’s another angle down Main Street. They’re gunna have to plant really tall trees 🌲 between fantasyland and frozenland.
View attachment 562553
Credit to hkmsg for construction pics
These are 2 screenshot taking from the Ironman experience at a flying height, assuming the 3D animation is accurate, it is possible that the tip of the North Mountain will look higher than the mountain behind looking at ground level.
A1999D4F-C396-4EFE-8A52-480E043B09F4.jpeg
8AAEB319-6FFB-4BFC-897D-ED3146E9BFBB.jpeg

ParkPeeker

These are 2 screenshot taking from the Ironman experience at a flying height, assuming the 3D animation is accurate, it is possible that the tip of the North Mountain will look higher than the mountain behind looking at ground level. View attachment 563246View attachment 563247
I think for sure once you get closer to it, it’ll be higher than the mountain behind it. Though I do feel that the mountain behind it will be taller looking from town square/or the part of main street closest to the entrance. So I guess it’s not that big of a deal.
That’s nice that they updated the ride, good attention to detail.
As I recall they updated the ride before the new castle even started going vertical in construction (I remember trying to analyze the new castle from the footage and all hahaha), around 2 years ago, incredible how early they decided on doing it! Guess they wanted to give fans a sneak peek hahaha.

In the Parks
Yes
I am okay with having a Marvel-themed ToT-ish attraction as long as the facade is coherent with the rest of Tomorrowland (yes I am talking about you Mission Breakout). But Web Slingers is a big no, especially when the Park already has Ant Man. We don't need two lame shooting dark ride.

Btw they said they would "reimagine" a ride in 2021 back then when they announced the expansion plan in 2016. Does anyone have any updates about this plan?

BrianLo

Btw they said they would "reimagine" a ride in 2021 back then when they announced the expansion plan in 2016. Does anyone have any updates about this plan?

Two thoughts; Philharmagic was pegged to split a new film with WDW for the 50th. The budget went to the Frozen coaster instead.

SplashJacket

I don't think there is any confirmed news about a Marvel themed ToT coming to HKDL's T-land yet
But Mr B (a famous [relatively, among us local fans] local HKDL blogger) talked about the possibility of that happening before
It is noteworthy that neither Chinese park has a drop tower attraction, Shanghai will probably get one for their second gate, but in the mean time, it could help further differentiate HKDL.

MKeeler

I am okay with having a Marvel-themed ToT-ish attraction as long as the facade is coherent with the rest of Tomorrowland (yes I am talking about you Mission Breakout). But Web Slingers is a big no, especially when the Park already has Ant Man. We don't need two lame shooting dark ride.

With it being a Marvel-themed drop tower ride and specifically not Mission Breakout, I'm assuming this would be a new build. And with Ant-Man here, I too would hope the WEB mention would not indicate Web Slingers as being an attraction ported over.

Could these hints though indicate a combination? A Marvel drop tower, where you could shoot webs to help keep the elevator on a particular floor?

Given the shape of the Web Slinger vehicle, that would seem to be something easily modified to a drop tower car. And a Spider-man drop tower ride would make a lot of sense.

I have no idea if this is the case, but it would be cool if it were.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Is it? Three projectors would at least be a clear contrast that reads as distinct infrastructure. Now there’s this bizarre double roof that reads as completely out of place but poorly trying to blend in.
Why were the projectors not placed inside the existing facades, to begin with? Disneyland's and Walt Disney World's are placed on the second levels of their Main Street buildings.

Toni25

:facepalm: Such a charming little park keeps getting ugly bits dropped onto it. The best evidence that nothing significant happening inside Disneyland Paris has been a blessing.
I don't think I understand this statement, but it intrigues me. How would Disneyland Paris affect what is happening in Hong Kong? 🤔
What exactly IS happening in Paris that would not be a blessing? 😅

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it. For some reason, I feel like this happens in ALL the parks, just random, unfitting, wobbly, not really thought out additions. But the way they disrespect the Hong Kong Park is just a whole new level sadly.
I just HOPE they have an ounce of respect left for the integrity of the main park in Paris for whatever they plan to add/change in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom