Test Track Needs Love

Mickeynerd17

When I last rode TT back in late March, it was always opening later than the park due to "technical issues" even though I suspect it was purely for crowd control since TT is the only thing for thrill seekers at EPCOT besides Mission Space.

As for the ride, the ride was having serious hiccups and even slowed to a snail's pace in the responsiveness test and the truck collision. The door at the power test was wide open too.

All in all, I think this ride needs some help but won't see that help anytime soon because the rest of Future World is a crater.

I am curious though, if GM/Chevy signed for another 10 years, then that would probably be ending in 2022? The current ride opened either in 2012 or '13, so we should be towards the end of the sponsorship contract. If GM declines another contract, I fear the future of this pavilion.

ppete1975

It needs to be stormproof. (I know that is impossible since its partially outside.)
1621371673409.png

ppete1975

When I last rode TT back in late March, it was always opening later than the park due to "technical issues" even though I suspect it was purely for crowd control since TT is the only thing for thrill seekers at EPCOT besides Mission Space.

As for the ride, the ride was having serious hiccups and even slowed to a snail's pace in the responsiveness test and the truck collision. The door at the power test was wide open too.

All in all, I think this ride needs some help but won't see that help anytime soon because the rest of Future World is a crater.

I am curious though, if GM/Chevy signed for another 10 years, then that would probably be ending in 2022? The current ride opened either in 2012 or '13, so we should be towards the end of the sponsorship contract. If GM declines another contract, I fear the future of this pavilion.
The problem is whats in it for the sponsors any more. Originally they sang the praises of the sponsors (back to when disneyland opened) now you get a sign, a brief mention and a corporate area. I think the post shows should be given to the sponsors to do whatever hey want (with oversite of course), and let them have more opportunity. Apple you want to sponsor an attraction.. ok you can showcase apple products at the end of the ride (id stay away from selling due bottlenecks) but let the public touch the products and see whats coming next, announce the new iproducts at epcot. Chevrolet let them have more cars there for people to see maybe a short video on the cars that havent been seen anywhere else. Instead of cars being released at auto shows.. do it in front of the pavillion. Kraft give them a place to give out samples and coupons of the newest product they are pushing. Tesla, just have a video of elon talking about whatever he wants, and sell boring bricks.

Mickeynerd17

Were the first and second contracts both ten years? So it's due for renewal imminently?
I know the first one was '82 to '92 for WoM, and then they signed a bunch of one-years before doing another long-term agreement in '96 (how we got TT 1.0 but I don't know the length of that agreement). Since that seemed to have expired around 2009-2011 (which was 10-12 years after TT opened in '99), they signed up for another under Chevy which brought us TT 2.0, so my guess is it's going to expire around 2022-23, but that's just pure speculation on my part.

Considering GM has always valued its space in EPCOT, I wouldn't be surprised if they sign on again or finally drop it after 40 years. It could go both ways.

Mickeynerd17

The problem is whats in it for the sponsors any more. Originally they sang the praises of the sponsors (back to when disneyland opened) now you get a sign, a brief mention and a corporate area. I think the post shows should be given to the sponsors to do whatever hey want (with oversite of course), and let them have more opportunity. Apple you want to sponsor an attraction.. ok you can showcase apple products at the end of the ride (id stay away from selling due bottlenecks) but let the public touch the products and see whats coming next, announce the new iproducts at epcot. Chevrolet let them have more cars there for people to see maybe a short video on the cars that havent been seen anywhere else. Instead of cars being released at auto shows.. do it in front of the pavillion. Kraft give them a place to give out samples and coupons of the newest product they are pushing. Tesla, just have a video of elon talking about whatever he wants, and sell boring bricks.
I think the fact GM is the only sponsor of a pavilion left and the fact that Disney terminated the Siemens contract is a pretty good sign that sponsorships are not the future of EPCOT.

I guess its just a waiting game of when GM will finally leave.

RSoxNo1

This ride has no soul anymore aftr the 2.0 update and it just so....blah. SO sad!
I would absolutely argue that the Test Track Pre-Show / vehicle design screams OG EPCOT. The misstep in Test Track 2.0 was not further integrating those designs into the attraction itself. By lining the track with screens, they had the opportunity for us to race against our designs.

fgmnt

Like the majority of EPCOT, Test Track is in rough shape. The list of things that need addressing is so long, and a lot is going to hinge on Chevrolet and their future involvement.
I guess I can really dream in a giant blue sky way that General Motors takes the opportunity with a waning pandemic and a rising business strategy of an all electric future to go in on a brand new ride concept at EPCOT to overtake Test Track by 2025.

ppete1975

I think the fact GM is the only sponsor of a pavilion left and the fact that Disney terminated the Siemens contract is a pretty good sign that sponsorships are not the future of EPCOT.

I guess its just a waiting game of when GM will finally leave.
doesnt chiquita support the land although there is no mention in any spiels and i dont think the building has a lounge.. it might have expired though. I dont think its disneys intention, i just think they didnt offer the sponsors any reason to stay. I still feel there is alot to the siemens thing, but i dont want to hijack.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom