News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

mickEblu

I was literally responding to a question you posed about if consent has to be "day of," which seems like such a weird thing to be confused about, because of course it does. Even consent from this morning doesn't necessarily apply to this afternoon. Even from a legal standpoint.

Nobody has called for the closure of the ride or the removal of the scene. That's a straw man you set up instead of bothering to have an actual productive dialogue. Not even the article that you're so upset about suggested that. In fact, it praises the staging of the scene.

The problem is that several people in this thread (not just you) expressed the thought that it's okay to make a move if the other party at some point expressed love/interest for you, which is ridiculously untrue. I was just wanting to clear that up, because it seems like a dangerous misconception.

Context matters. See my post to Lazyboy. Also as soon as someone brings up rape in a conversation about a Snow White ride... I’m out! ✌️

Californian Elitist

The folks overreacting and complaining about cancel culture don't seem to want to have healthy, constructive, mature discussion surrounding the current topic in this thread, as if talking about it is somehow bad.

I wrote a paper as an undergrad about the implications of the roles of women and beauty standards featured in Disney princess films. It was a critique based on both the evidence in the films and actual research/statistics on the topic. I wasn't calling for the films to be "cancelled," but simply opening up a space for discussion to think about and talk about these things.

A lot of people overreact over these things and it shows. And then don't want to bother with having sound discussion.

lazyboy97o

You seem to avoid comments when you don’t have a good response that fits your narrative. Respond to my last where I mentioned your name.
What narrative? That consent isn’t singular and permanent?

Your wife absolutely can revoke consent. It’s a horrifically new concept in law and society but it is true. I’m guessing neither of you would be pleased if an ex-boyfriend came up and grabbed her like it was V-J Day.

Even if Snow White wanted to be kissed by the Prince, it is not something he knew. She’s also like 14.

mickEblu

What narrative? That consent isn’t singular and permanent?

Your wife absolutely can revoke consent. It’s a horrifically new concept in law and society but it is true. I’m guessing neither of you would be pleased if an ex-boyfriend came up and grabbed her like it was V-J Day.

Even if Snow White wanted to be kissed by the Prince, it is not something he knew. She’s also like 14.

So was it wrong if I kissed her last night while she was sleeping? If the answer is no, “consent” alone doesn’t paint the entire picture and context matters. And in the context of Snow White, is it wrong that the Prince kisses her?

What the heck does an ex boyfriend have to do with this analogy?

Oh, she’s 14. Where does it say that in Disney’s version? Even if it did, are we going to rewrite history from centuries ago now?

mickEblu

No, you really don't. Not even legally. Do you think all of her exes have free reign to come kiss her whenever they want just because she consented to it at some point?

I'll say it a third time, your understanding of consent is really off.

Ok let’s just be honest. You wrote the article didn’t you?

Castle Cake Apologist

LOL. How do you know your post didn’t make me laugh. You just compared a husband kissing his wife while she sleeps to an ex boyfriend coming up out of nowhere. You re special.

Marriage is also not unending consent. You don't get to just sleep with or kiss your wife whenever you want to just because she married you. She isn't your property. Since my post wasn't humorous and was dealt with serious subject matter, I'm not sure how else one would interpret your laughing reaction. But that's cute that we're gonna play the "I didn't mean anything by it, I'm totally innocent!" game like children. :rolleyes: By the way, personal attacks (especially ridiculously outdated ones about mental illness) are also against the forum rules.

...and considering Steve liked my post and responded that I was correct and that it was a violation of the forum rules, you don't have much leg to stand on.

Californian Elitist

So was it wrong if I kissed her last night while she was sleeping? If the answer is no, “consent” alone doesn’t paint the entire picture and context matters. And in the context of Snow White, is it wrong that the Prince kisses her?

What the heck does an ex boyfriend have to do with this analogy?

Oh, she’s 14. Where does it say that in Disney’s version? Even if it did, are we going to rewrite history from centuries ago now?
If you and your wife agreed that you at any time are welcome to give her kisses while she is sleeping, then yes, the kiss was consensual. If you did not agree to that, that's where the gray area occurs.

mickEblu

((Marriage is also not consent. You don't get to just sleep with or kiss your wife whenever you want to just because she married you. She isn't your property.)) Since my post wasn't humorous and was dealt with serious subject matter, I'm not sure how else one would interpret your laughing reaction. But that's cute that we're gonna play the "I didn't mean anything by it, I'm totally innocent!" game like children. :rolleyes:

...and considering Steve liked my post and responded that I was correct and that it was a violation of the forum rules, you don't have much leg to stand on.

No I’m telling you I laughed at your post because of utter non sense you typed up.

Who said she’s my property? Again stay on topic. I know that’s hard for you. The context was she’s my wife and she’s sleeping.

mickEblu

If you and your wife agreed that you at any time are welcome to give her kisses while she is sleeping, then yes, the kiss was consensual. If you did not agree to that, that's where the gray area occurs.

No I forgot to put that in the contract. So I guess you guys are right. I did indeed violate her last night. Do you think she’ll accept my sincere apology?

What planet am I living on?

Californian Elitist

No I forgot to put that in the contract. So I guess you guys are right. I did indeed violate her last night. Do you think she’ll accept my sincere apology?

What planet am I living on?
Why are you responding in this manner? Are you interested in having a constructive and mature conversation or not?

How about instead of asking me sarcastic questions, you inquire about my response and attempt to see where I'm coming from?

Lack of consent doesn't always necessarily mean something awful. If my dad takes one of my french fries without asking me, that's lack of consent. It's also not that serious and nothing to get upset over. You kissing your wife while she's sleeping might not be consensual, but if it doesn't bother her, which I assume it doesn't, then there's no problem.

Castle Cake Apologist

No I’m telling you I laughed at your post because of utter non sense you typed up.

Who said she’s my property? Again stay on topic. I know that’s hard for you. The context was she’s my wife and she’s sleeping.

...which would literally be using the laugh reaction in a mocking manner, which is against the forum rules, as acknowledged and confirmed by the owner of this website just a few posts ago. Not sure what you thought your point was there?

The attitude that you get to kiss your wife whenever YOU feel like it simply because she married you implies that you think of her in some regard as "belonging" to you. Like you have a right to kiss her, which is incorrect. If the only "context" you can provide in your favor is that she's your wife, then that's exactly what we're discussing.

Sharon&Susan

I took a peek at what's going on with this thread today and

1620154792163.png

el_super

The folks overreacting and complaining about cancel culture don't seem to want to have healthy, constructive, mature discussion surrounding the current topic in this thread, as if talking about it is somehow bad.

If you were still wondering why Disney didn't attempt to have a reasoned, constructive discussion over the place of Splash Mountain, look no further than this thread. If the reaction to any attempt to have a discussion about the context of an attraction just devolved into calling people idiots, crybabies, SJWs and labeling the discussion absurd, then what's the point of trying to have it?

Kind of proves that the ride might need to be removed afterall.

mickEblu

Why are you responding in this manner? Are you interested in having a constructive and mature conversation or not?

How about instead of asking me sarcastic questions, you inquire about my response and attempt to see where I'm coming from?

Lack of consent doesn't always necessarily mean something awful. If my dad takes one of my french fries without asking me, that's lack of consent. It's also not that serious and nothing to get upset over.

Sorry I just honestly feel like I’m Living on a different planet from some of the people here sometimes. Not only that I don’t think even the people that say some of these things believe this stuff is practical in real life. What married couple do you know that has had a conversation regarding if it’s ok to kiss each other while they sleep? And if it’s ok that I do it without the consent then why is it an issue? That’s the point I was getting at originally. It’s the context that matters.

Also your comment comes at a moment where I’m getting bombarded by multiple parties so nothing personal towards you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom