Vaccinated Out Of State Visitors Now Allowed in CA Theme Parks

ToTBellHop

Part of the issue here is they have needlessly complicated guidance and do not clearly communicate with advance notice. The absolute wording of the addendum would allow Sea World to do what it is doing. Considering the only items on the blueprint with in-state restrictions are indoor and outdoor events and amusement parks/fairs, if they intended to only have this apply to events, they should have said events. The only “activity” is amusement parks/fairs. If they intend for amusement parks to follow specific rules, they should clearly state “in-state only through 6/14, then out-of-state with X rules.” And if those from out of state cannot go to an amusement park if the adults are vaccinated and kids tested, I hope a reporter asks them to explain how it is safer for such individuals to attend an indoor soccer match but not ride Dumbo or how the ticket taker at Angels Stadium is better-trained to verify a vaccine card or test result than the Disneyland ticket taker.

It is the nature of these industries to allow advance planning, especially with Covid restrictions. The state should provide clear guidance. All of these places are already booking beyond 6/15.

Finally, I’d be surprised if Sea World did this without reaching out to CDPH. It is interesting that Sea World went aggressive and started selling tickets, Universal was passive-aggressive and just removed mention of “CA-only” as they wait this out, and Disney passively changed nothing. That characterizes the three companies pretty well, actually.

Last edited:

EPCOT-O.G.

I hope a reporters asks them to explain how it is safer for such individuals to attend an indoor soccer match but not ride Dumbo or how the ticket taker at Angels Stadium is better-trained to verify a vaccine card or test result than the Disneyland ticket taker.

I think what's happening is many of these restrictions turn out to be arbitrary, capricious, not based on recent science, and do not align with any internal logic.

ToTBellHop

I think what's happening is many of these restrictions turn out to be arbitrary, capricious, not based on recent science, and do not align with any internal logic.
Of course, they don’t. And for this reason, I think they would get much better compliance if they provided clarity on the end date. “Out of state visitors, please feel free to make plans starting June 16” would work a lot better than a series of incomprehensible policies that even Sea World’s lawyers don’t seem to agree with Disney’s lawyers on, basically leaving people to try to plan and cross their fingers. These guidelines are so complicated that many are ignoring them, which actually makes for a less-safe situation. As I’ve said, require a vaccine card or negative test on arrival at the airport and be done with all of this. Or continue requiring nothing like most states and just clearly state “come in June.” They’ve said 5k out of state people could gather in a convention hall June 15 without proving anything with regard to covid, so one would think they‘d be able to walk into Disneyland then, too, but they have not said.

SoCalDisneyLover

People still wonder and complain about why amusement parks were kept closed so long. It's because now that they've been given the opportunity to open, so long as they follow a few guidelines and rules, they're saying, "well, we'll just open and Not follow those guidelines and rules, and there will then be nothing the state can do about it. Like, sure, we'll limit to in-state only, by putting a check box online, but not bothering to actually confirm anything. And we all know that those falling over themselves to visit DL or one of the other parks, are going to refrain from checking that box, when they know it's all that stands between them and a park visit.

I've seen videos where they're saying that not only are MM & Universal not doing any checking at the gates, MM has dispensed with even regular protocols like distancing and wearing of masks. There is also suspicion that they're going over the capacity limits. Why? Because they're now emboldened, and know that the state is not going to step in and shut them down, so why not cheat?

Seems pointless to do this whole charade about allowing out of state with proof of vaccination or a negative test. That too is a pointless gesture, assuming people will merely need to check off another box, and probably wouldn't have to actually provide any proof whatsoever. It's all window dressing because people are going to just check the box, and know that's their ticket in, vaccination or no vaccination. Like telling an owner of a sports car to obey the speed limit, even though there won't be a single cop on the road to enforce that limit.

el_super

People still wonder and complain about why amusement parks were kept closed so long.

Yep. The effort being expended to circumvent the rules proves that keeping the parks closed for so long was the right decision.

It really is in the best interest of the parks to enforce the requirements, since they will be the first ones shut down, should case loads increase again.

SoCalDisneyLover

Yep. The effort being expended to circumvent the rules proves that keeping the parks closed for so long was the right decision.

It really is in the best interest of the parks to enforce the requirements, since they will be the first ones shut down, should case loads increase again.

Yeah, but not really. That would only happen if we fell back into the Purple tier, which is highly unlikely. At this point, the worst they'll have, if cases started going up, is scaling back capacity limits. And MM is probably already fudging that, appearing to be exceeding the 15% limit when they opened, and the 25% limit now in place. Doubt Disney will do that, but they know it will be tough for the state to shut them down again, which is why they are not going to make more than the minimal effort to enforce the out of state rule, even though it's intention is to prevent those in states with more virus spread and lower vaccination rates, from bringing their illnesses here.

The vaccine will prevent a return to Purple tier, but they won't be enough to prevent a rise in cases, or a smaller surge, once people lunge towards 100% normalcy as quickly as possible, rules be darned.

el_super

The vaccine will prevent a return to Purple tier, but they won't be enough to prevent a rise in cases, or a smaller surge, once people lunge towards 100% normalcy as quickly as possible, rules be darned.

The concern seems to be in the plateu of vaccination demand, and whether the remaining 50%+ will take the time to be vaccinated. I sincerely hope that the hospital demand doesn't skyrocket again, and as long as their is no danger of exceeding hospital capacity, there shouldn't be a need to limit activities, but so far, every time when restrictions have beem removed, cases have increased.

I can definitely understand Disney's hesitation in enforcing a vaccine requirement though, as that really isn't something a corporation is built for. Something should be implemented at the federal level.

ToTBellHop

Hopeful that this policy will stand given that everyone who needs to know is well-aware of what Sea World did and no one has forced them to change the website yet. The park is open right now and surely would have been asked by CDPH to change their message immediately if it was wrong, no?

ToTBellHop

The concern seems to be in the plateu of vaccination demand, and whether the remaining 50%+ will take the time to be vaccinated. I sincerely hope that the hospital demand doesn't skyrocket again, and as long as their is no danger of exceeding hospital capacity, there shouldn't be a need to limit activities, but so far, every time when restrictions have beem removed, cases have increased.

I can definitely understand Disney's hesitation in enforcing a vaccine requirement though, as that really isn't something a corporation is built for. Something should be implemented at the federal level.
Demand has not plateaued, but rather the pace (3 million per day) has frozen, mostly due to JnJ. No one expects us to freeze with 50% unvaccinated, and certainly not in CA. In my state, it is expected we will get to around 70% vaccinated by Memorial Day. I presume CA will be similar. Nationwide average is estimated around 60%. These estimates are without anyone under age 16. 12-15 year olds should become eligible soon, which will add a few percentage points.

SoCalDisneyLover

The problem is, there can't be, or even at the state level. They can, however, give incentives to businesses who follow certain guidelines. By allowing a place like Disneyland, to increase attendance by vaccinating a certain % of their employees, they give Disney something in return for following the rules. The state could do the same in regards to vaccinations, and already appear to be in some respects. Allowing a higher capacity, and out of state guests, so long as proof of vaccination is there, does not prohibit a place like Disneyland from opening. It merely allows them to reach a state of normalcy quicker, by allowing people who were responsible, to once again go back to normal and experience Disneyland.

I suppose that if enough Californians are getting vaccinated, the state can trust that the chances are low enough for in-state visitors to be safe, even if mingling with people from outside who may be carrying the virus.

SoCalDisneyLover

Seems like it would be easier to just get your shots.
Or wear a frickin' mask, which many have refused to do since the very beginning. But I won't get into the selfishness and lack of care for others that's been exhibited here the past 14 months. So many lives could have been saved, and so many could be saved going forward if people get vaccinated, and realize that a functional society does not operate in a vacuum.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Well, that's really following the science. Any unvaccinated local can show up on any given day. But someone from out of state who has been vaccinated is a no go.

Yeah, makes complete sense.
If past is prologue, I’d wager this has more to do with the general population’s propensity to fib and/or plagiarize in the interest of their own narrow motives (over and above the health and welfare of their fellow countryman) than anything else.

Certainly a park filled with vaccinated park-goers, however far and wide they travel, is safer than a “locals only” policy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom