News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Now that half of Communicore is gone, there's no reason not to have a direct path to the Seas.
Yes, perhaps that path could be a journey. And since you’re going to the seas it could be a journey.......OF WATER

GIF by Moana

UNCgolf

And the debate about whether to compare the new Epcot to Epcot 2019 or EPCOT 1992 continues...

I don't see how it's a debate about comparing this EPCOT to older ones.

It just doesn't make sense to suggest Disney was right to tear down Innoventions because it had nothing in it when Disney was responsible for it having nothing in it. It's not like they're a new owner.

It's a bit like arguing Disney would be right to tear down Space Mountain because maintenance is bad and the track needs to be replaced even though Disney was responsible for letting it get to that state.

Last edited:

CastAStone

Premium Member
I don't see how it's a debate about comparing this EPCOT to older ones.

It just doesn't make sense to suggest Disney was right to tear down Innoventions because it had nothing in it when Disney was responsible for it having nothing in it. It's not like they're a new owner.

It's a bit like arguing Disney would be right to tear down Space Mountain because maintenance is bad and the track needs to be replaced even though Disney was responsible for letting it get to that state.
That’s a totally different argument. Whether or not you think it’s better than what was there depends entirely on what you’re comparing it to.

Of course Disney is responsible for letting it get like it was, but that is what makes PPF and SM nonsense comparisons. Disney has kept those up. Disney has not had a clue what to do with Inooventions West in 20 years. I think if Disney had an idea for the building that they liked more (all things con$idered) than a paint ad and a soda ad they would have just done that. But they didn’t. So it’s gone.

lazyboy97o

That’s a totally different argument. Whether or not you think it’s better than what was there depends entirely on what you’re comparing it to.

Of course Disney is responsible for letting it get like it was, but that is what makes PPF and SM nonsense comparisons. Disney has kept those up. Disney has not had a clue what to do with Inooventions West in 20 years. I think if Disney had an idea for the building that they liked more (all things con$idered) than a paint ad and a soda ad they would have just done that. But they didn’t. So it’s gone.
You are essentially making the tired “Disney is a business” argument. That anything they do must be the right decision because they did it, all driven by some sort of Vulcan business super logic that can never err or be influenced by anything but business. Disney has an entire design studio whose primary job is to develop content for the parks. That they could not come up with content should be a huge red flag, not a green light to replace an adaptable facility with one that is smaller, less flexible and more expensive.

CastAStone

Premium Member
. Disney has an entire design studio whose primary job is to develop content for the parks. That they could not come up with content should be a huge red flag, not a green light to replace an adaptable facility with one that is smaller, less flexible and more expensive.
I don’t disagree with any of this. Not the argument I’m making

UNCgolf

Disney hasn't kept Space Mountain up, which is why I used it as a comparison. The track is old enough that there's a potential danger of failure, which is exactly what happened at Disneyland.

DreamfinderGuy

Yes, If they had closed PPF 27 years ago and the building had spent the last 15 years as home only to an ad for a paint company, an ad for a soda company, and a Starbucks.
Innoventions held strong through 2015, even as a watered down experience. Half of northwest spent five-ish years vacant before the demo, and half of northeast spent four-ish years vacant before the demo. It was not in this sad shape for 15 years.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Innoventions held strong through 2015, even as a watered down experience. Half of northwest spent five-ish years vacant before the demo, and half of northeast spent four-ish years vacant before the demo. It was not in this sad shape for 15 years.
Indeed. IBM didn’t open in north west until 2013. Closed Jan 2015. The company had a huge blank canvas to play with but chose not to.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

The should have been on the exterior of the new Guardians building - it would have been a great homage to the old mirror tiles, but also taking it into the future.
Mirrored tiles on a south facing elevation is probably not the best idea unless you’re trying to build Archimedes’ Death Ray.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom