Ready to buy, push me over the edge

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster

Ready to buy, push me over the edge​

Uhh...ok.
Plunge+plunge_845efa_5117695.gif

striker1064

Well, inquiring minds want to know... given the points and UY it looks like you've found a specific contract, so which resort did you decide on?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Counter-counter-counter-point, if I *am* going to Hawaii, I'm much more inclined to start planning flights and other logistics at 11 months than I would be if I'm going to Orlando.

Also, it seems from the availability charts that WDW being *completely* booked at 7 months is just about unheard of, assuming I'm flexible with resort and room type.

(Don't stop arguing with me. My very strong instinct is to buy Aulani and I want as much evidence to the contrary as possible.)

If you want to go to Hawaii somewhat frequently...DVC might not be the thing for you.

I think buying Aulani is reasonable if HI is where you want to go. Part of the argument in buying HHI initially was that were we going to want to stay there, it would be nice to have priority booking to stay at the nicest part of the year since visiting the beach would be so seasonal on the east coast.

However, we've never visited. We've used all our points then bought more staying at WDW and DL.

But if there's a desirable time to go to HI then you would want to be able to stay there in the room you would want there. Since there aren't Disney alternatives in HI, it would be nice to be able to lock in there - assuming that Oahu is the island you continue to want to visit

DVC’s best value use - by far - is at wdw. Maybe if they build a sizeable DVC at Disneyland it will make sense there too.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Is there a handy chart anywhere that shows unit occupancy by resort? Thinking specifically about which Studios and which 1BR sleep 4 versus 5.

What's the big surge in early December? Seems like a lousy time to take kids out of school.

...it’s the older travelers without kids primarily...

But I gotta ask: if “missing school” is a thing...you sure you want this?

That’s not DVC obstacle...pull em and go...it’s just school 🤪

Club Cooloholic

After going back and forth for years and with a stimulus check likely on the way, I think we're finally going to jump into DVC if we can get a good price.

What we know:
  • 160 to 200 points
  • Resale
  • Not picky about use year
Resorts we're not considering and why:
  • Too expensive upfront: Bay Lake Tower, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Copper Creek, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Polynesian
  • Decent price per point but contract ends too soon: Boulder Ridge, Old Key West 2042
  • High and unpredictable fees: Hilton Head, Vero Beach
  • I hate it with a passion: Riviera
That leaves:
  • Animal Kingdom
  • Aulani
  • Saratoga Springs
  • Old Key West 2057
Since Old Key West 2057 is just about impossible to find, we're focusing on the other three. Our most common travel pattern will be to bank-and-borrow to do 8 nights in a two bedroom villa every three years in the summer or late April (i.e. not Christmas, Easter, peak Spring Break, Presidents' Week, Thanksgiving, or Food and Wine). Our choice will come down to relative resort availability at the 7 month window. The math makes the most sense at Saratoga, so the crux of my question is what type of availability can I expect to see at Animal Kingdom and Aulani at 7 months? I don't mind being "stuck" at Saratoga once in awhile, but I'd rather not stay there every time, especially since both the Studios and 1BRs only have a capacity of 4.
Bought resale 160 points a few years ago at AKL for our family of 4. We took inlaws on our first trip and stayed at BCV with them in a 2 bed, then a few nights at an Inn room in Vero with just us, and finished with a few more nights at the Poly. 160 was a good amount for us. We went back this past Thanksgiving doing at split stay at 1 beds at BWV and AKL Kidani. Needless to say we haven't had trouble getting rooms. Can we get exactly what we want everytime, no but close. And honestly we love AKL so we know we can get that.

Last edited:

correcaminos

It’s cheap points wise and Christmas decorations are ip
This and only this really. Some did used to go for the annual meeting.

I do remember when they had like ice cream socials with ornaments years ago too. Used to be low crowds also enticed but that kind of all went away. Now it's really just low points.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
Who are you buying through?
I plan to be aggressive on price so I'm going to pick and choose the best contracts from whichever site and not be super picky. The three with the best inventory seem to be DVC Resale Market, DVC Store, and Fidelity.

What resort did you decide on?
Saratoga. I ruled Aulani out and the AKV $/pt. has been creeping up steadily lately, so the gap between AKV and SSR was too big to ignore.

rreading

...it’s the older travelers without kids primarily...

But I gotta ask: if “missing school” is a thing...you sure you want this?

That’s not DVC obstacle...pull em and go...it’s just school 🤪

My daughter who is now 16 (we bought in when she was 4-5) has *almost* never let us pull her out of school to go to Disney. She just doesn't want to. We generally just travel during the summer.🤷‍♂️

Nottamus

Best thing we ever did was buy a resale AKV contract in 2016! It’s just me and the wife, so we can go small....studios, value, savanna, and standard.

We also prefer Jambo ...fell in love with the place our first visit there for a dinner reservation.

most popular rooms get eaten up at the 7 mo mark, but not all of them always.

to be able to flip back and forth from Kidani to Jambo at 11months is awesome too, when we need a change.

really, the shuttle that goes between makes them even closer, as in one resort

the 5 minute bus trip to AK is great too!

the food choices....very good as well. The smells sometimes drift through lobby of Boma fire grilled everything....man.

can’t wait to get back !!

good luck !

rreading

I plan to be aggressive on price so I'm going to pick and choose the best contracts from whichever site and not be super picky. The three with the best inventory seem to be DVC Resale Market, DVC Store, and Fidelity.

Saratoga. I ruled Aulani out and the AKV $/pt. has been creeping up steadily lately, so the gap between AKV and SSR was too big to ignore.
If I recall Tom Bricker - who's a lawyer when he's not a Disney fanatic (I don't remember his username here but he now does DisneyTouristBlog.com) - recently did an analysis of the best one to buy and SSR was one of the top choices if not the smartest one to buy. fwiw

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If I recall Tom Bricker - who's a lawyer when he's not a Disney fanatic (I don't remember his username here but he now does DisneyTouristBlog.com) - recently did an analysis of the best one to buy and SSR was one of the top choices if not the smartest one to buy. fwiw

Everytime anyone publishes a resale analysis...Saratoga comes out on top.

Gf and dak usually follow

In simplified form: it’s the amount remaining and the rising cost of dues that break the math

aliceismad

Fingers crossed for you!

When I did a financial analysis, I also came up with Saratoga or Animal Kingdom as our best choices, with the numbers favoring SSR but my heart favoring AK, as it is one of my favorite resorts at WDW. (My husband, however, feels strongly that if we buy, we should buy where we'd most like to stay and those resorts make much less financial sense to me, so we are at a stalemate. 🤷‍♀️ )

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom