working out for Disney

Sans Souci

Yeah, I remember you telling us about suspecting the abuse and then you got her to Florida or something, but your mom wanted her to move back in with her, and she wanted to go back? That's why I was wondering if it was the same grandma, because I thought she had gone back to live with your mom and you were really frustrated.

She did go back to Illinois, but she had been on a waiting list for this assisted living place. Since my grandmother went in and fell during her quarantine, my mom hasn't been able to visit her (thankfully). When this blew up with my mom, we wanted to take care of this ourselves because we knew adult protective services would place her in a nursing home. We wanted to avoid her being exposed to COVID, but we ended up in the same place, anyway.

Sans Souci

Good morning-

I felt under the weather yesterday, so I just chilled out on my couch with warm drinks and a heating pad. I did a 20 minute full body workout this morning. It is low impact, if anyone is interested.

Then I made a chocolate cake for my son's birthday. It's Tuesday, but he is having 2 friends over for pizza (despite my protests.) :rolleyes: It was a PITA to make. It was a recipe from my MIL and I could tell it was some sort of WWII/ration cake by the ingredients and amounts. I am going to make some gravy for a lasagna in my Instant Pot in a bit. I may or may not make lasagna today. I'll see how I feel. The good thing about making lasagna, is I'll get a few meals out of one pan. :)

Sans Souci

Good morning-

I started week 8 of my 12 week program today, it was a leg workout. I was a sweaty mess at the end, but feeling energized. I am hoping to get out for some fresh air, but it's been raining on and off since yesterday.

I ended up making lasagna and I swear, my husband demolished half the pan. 😲 There is also no chocolate cake left, but I did get a silver of it. It was very tasty, but not worth the fiddly work that went into it. :p

My son is home this week. The one class that has mandatory in person instruction switched to every other week classes. I asked if he wanted to come home for the weeks he doesn't have to be in class and he said yes. I wouldn't do this if there wasn't a pandemic, but there is nothing going on socially on campus. He eats his meals alone in his dorm room, there are no clubs meeting, no student activities, so why not come home? He makes his own meals here and works out here. He said it's hard to get a reservation for the student rec center to workout. This too shall pass...

Sans Souci

Good morning-

Today was a 15 minute hiit workout followed by a 10 minute abs workout, both from YouTube.

It's been really humid here, but it's supposed to dry up today. It's been so hard to shut my front door and other doors in my house! The wood has expanded from the moisture.

We have a little kitchenette that is just off the TV room with a little fridge. My husband is really the only one who uses it. He keeps stuff in there for late night TV snacking. I guess he doesn't clean it out. My son ate some cream cheese crab spread that my husband said it was quite old. :rolleyes: My son said it didn't smell and the expiration date was good until next year. I said it's good until next year *if it remains unopened.* So I am hoping his robust 19 year old body can handle it and he doesn't get any food poisoning. I am shocked he did that. He is always checking expiration dates, sniffing things before eating them and reminding me to put away leftovers within two hours. I am just a little freaked out because I watched this YouTube video last week presented by a doctor who discussed this case study about a 20 year man who left pasta out for 2 days, but his room mate didn't know it had been out for two days and put it away. The guy ate the pasta and from there it was a series of cascading events that culminated in his death due to liver failure from this bacteria called bacillus cereus. 😲

Songbird76

Good morning-

Today was a 15 minute hiit workout followed by a 10 minute abs workout, both from YouTube.

It's been really humid here, but it's supposed to dry up today. It's been so hard to shut my front door and other doors in my house! The wood has expanded from the moisture.

We have a little kitchenette that is just off the TV room with a little fridge. My husband is really the only one who uses it. He keeps stuff in there for late night TV snacking. I guess he doesn't clean it out. My son ate some cream cheese crab spread that my husband said it was quite old. :rolleyes: My son said it didn't smell and the expiration date was good until next year. I said it's good until next year *if it remains unopened.* So I am hoping his robust 19 year old body can handle it and he doesn't get any food poisoning. I am shocked he did that. He is always checking expiration dates, sniffing things before eating them and reminding me to put away leftovers within two hours. I am just a little freaked out because I watched this YouTube video last week presented by a doctor who discussed this case study about a 20 year man who left pasta out for 2 days, but his room mate didn't know it had been out for two days and put it away. The guy ate the pasta and from there it was a series of cascading events that culminated in his death due to liver failure from this bacteria called bacillus cereus. 😲
Ugh....that's one of those things I'm really conscious of....putting leftovers away right away, not eating it after a few days. My husband has a much more relaxed attitude. He says you're not supposed to put food in the fridge until it's completely cooled, so he'll leave stuff out for HOURS. My son's absolute favorite dish has to cook for a couple of hours, so my husband would make it the night before we were going to eat it, while I was at work. But then when it was done, he wouldn't put it in the fridge right away. Sometimes he'd leave it overnight to cool before putting it in the fridge. I wouldn't eat it because I was so afraid it would make me sick.

Another thing is onions. I guess you aren't supposed to cut onions until you are ready to use them. You need to use them within 10 minutes of cutting, because there is some sort of chemical reaction within minutes or something that can make you sick. So I never cut onions until I'm ready to put them in whatever dish. My husband will cut up an onion, put it in a bowl, and use it for days with this raw meat spread. (Which I also won't eat.) Call me paranoid, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Ugh....that's one of those things I'm really conscious of....putting leftovers away right away, not eating it after a few days. My husband has a much more relaxed attitude. He says you're not supposed to put food in the fridge until it's completely cooled, so he'll leave stuff out for HOURS. My son's absolute favorite dish has to cook for a couple of hours, so my husband would make it the night before we were going to eat it, while I was at work. But then when it was done, he wouldn't put it in the fridge right away. Sometimes he'd leave it overnight to cool before putting it in the fridge. I wouldn't eat it because I was so afraid it would make me sick.

Another thing is onions. I guess you aren't supposed to cut onions until you are ready to use them. You need to use them within 10 minutes of cutting, because there is some sort of chemical reaction within minutes or something that can make you sick. So I never cut onions until I'm ready to put them in whatever dish. My husband will cut up an onion, put it in a bowl, and use it for days with this raw meat spread. (Which I also won't eat.) Call me paranoid, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I pre-cut onions all the time and put them in a double bagged (because of smell) container in the fridge or freezer. Never had a problem. Our grocery stores sell them pre-cut too.

Sans Souci

I was surprised he ate it. He always asks about something if he is unsure. I am guessing he was really hungry and my husband was in a meeting and I was on a walk. At any rate, he seems ok. I think this spread was from September, but I don't mess around with cream cheese and crabmeat. I'll open something like that and toss it after a couple of days.

My husband says the same thing about making sure food is completely cool. He told me it overwhelms the fridge. I think he grew up with that thinking because, as you know, the fridges outside of US are much smaller. Anyway, I told him times have changed and you don't have to wait for something to be 100% cool to store it.

I think I mentioned here a few times my MIL will store her Christmas Day turkey in her oven because her fridge is so packed with leftovers, etc. She will keep it there for days and continue to make sandwiches from it and reheat it for dinner. I *never* touch it. I know when I go to MIL's house for the holidays to make sure I get to the shops to buy my own food before Christmas, because everything is closed the 25th and 26th, and I am not eating salmonella-seasoned turkey.

I didn't know that about the onions. I sometimes chop my veggies for dinner in the morning, so dinner comes together more quickly. I also sometimes buy precut mirepoix, which has onions in it. But I make sure I use it within a day or two of purchasing it.

Sans Souci

Good morning-

I did a 15 min hiit workout followed by 10 minutes of stretching. I'd like to get out for a walk, but we're getting Zeta leftovers.

My grandmother now has pneumonia. I was talking to a friend this morning and I said that I understood my grandmother has had a long life and we all have to go at some point, but what kills me is if she succumbs to this, she will not have any family around her. That upsets me so much.

I wish I could go to sleep and wake up when it's over. This is just a drawn out, surreal nightmare. I have no time for people who think this is NBD or it's a hoax or refuse to wear masks. How did we get to a place where we view science as bunk? It honestly boggles my mind.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
My grandmother now has pneumonia. I was talking to a friend this morning and I said that I understood my grandmother has had a long life and we all have to go at some point, but what kills me is if she succumbs to this, she will not have any family around her. That upsets me so much.

Sorry to hear about the pneumonia; that can be a serious condition, and I hope she pulls through. And I can understand how difficult it is for you, knowing that if she succumbs, her family cannot be there with her toward the end. :(

Songbird76

Good morning-

I did a 15 min hiit workout followed by 10 minutes of stretching. I'd like to get out for a walk, but we're getting Zeta leftovers.

I wish I could go to sleep and wake up when it's over. This is just a drawn out, surreal nightmare. I have no time for people who think this is NBD or it's a hoax or refuse to wear masks. How did we get to a place where we view science as bunk? It honestly boggles my mind.
I'm so sorry!!! I think that's the worst, that families can't be with their loved ones and people are dying alone. It's so sad. I'm like you...I have no patience for the "It's just a flu!" or worse "the flu is worse than this!" people. The flu may be much more debilitating to some, but just because you're not in a high risk group for Covid doesn't mean it's not more serious for someone else. Maybe the flu is worse for you, but that doesn't mean it's that way for everyone. It's like saying that breast cancer isn't as bad as heart disease. They both kill people and affect thousands of people. They are BOTH worthy of attention and trying to prevent and develop new treatments for them. Acknowledging one doesn't reduce the severity of the other. When did we lose the ability to empathize? When did illness become a battle for top billing? Why do we need to rank them? As though someone who dies from one is any better off or worse off than dying from another? It's mind boggling.

HouCuseChickie

Good morning and happy Friday. I've been lurking around all week, but not much in the way of commenting because it's been another crazy one. I'll spare you all of it because it's just a mess of stuff. There is light at the end of the tunnel with the work craziness, so that's a positive. I've also been eating better this week, and I already feel a difference. There's no softball for us most of this weekend, so I'm going to try and get back to working out and walking this weekend. I'm hoping that adds to my stress relief. We also should be getting bathroom 1's refurb finished up this weekend and will be tile shopping for bathroom refurb 2, which should be fun.

My husband's grandmother still isn't doing well. She's had multiple Covid tests, and all have come back negative, but she's still dealing with pneumonia and the doctors aren't very hopeful. She was discharged from the hospital into Hospice earlier this week. At least in Hospice, she's allowed visitors. It's only three a day, and once you leave, you can't come back. Still, it means my MIL and her sister, who flew in from VA, are able to be with her. Unfortunately, at some point in 2019, her memory started going, so I'm not sure she recognizes any of the family coming in for her. When we saw her last Christmas, she had no idea who I was or who the kids were, and in her mind, my husband was still a little boy and not the strange adult man she was looking at. In more recent months, she started to forget who my MIL was and had regressed into childhood, often seeing her old nanny sitting in the room with her. She turned 103 back in July and has been fairly healthy up until this past year, so she's got that going for her. I just really hope she doesn't pass tomorrow. It's the 1 year anniversary of my FIL passing and it would be nice if my husband didn't have to associate the day with two close family deaths.

Beyond that, just trying to put together plans for Halloween. We've opted to celebrate with our softball family, since we've stayed in close contact with them since all of this started. The kids are going to try and trick-or-treat with the other girls on the team, and while there are no real rules for it here, mine will be masked. I was hoping to also be sporting a joke costume for tomorrow night, but it looks like it was lost in the mail, so I'll have to throw something else together.

Songbird76

Good morning and happy Friday. I've been lurking around all week, but not much in the way of commenting because it's been another crazy one. I'll spare you all of it because it's just a mess of stuff. There is light at the end of the tunnel with the work craziness, so that's a positive. I've also been eating better this week, and I already feel a difference. There's no softball for us most of this weekend, so I'm going to try and get back to working out and walking this weekend. I'm hoping that adds to my stress relief. We also should be getting bathroom 1's refurb finished up this weekend and will be tile shopping for bathroom refurb 2, which should be fun.

My husband's grandmother still isn't doing well. She's had multiple Covid tests, and all have come back negative, but she's still dealing with pneumonia and the doctors aren't very hopeful. She was discharged from the hospital into Hospice earlier this week. At least in Hospice, she's allowed visitors. It's only three a day, and once you leave, you can't come back. Still, it means my MIL and her sister, who flew in from VA, are able to be with her. Unfortunately, at some point in 2019, her memory started going, so I'm not sure she recognizes any of the family coming in for her. When we saw her last Christmas, she had no idea who I was or who the kids were, and in her mind, my husband was still a little boy and not the strange adult man she was looking at. In more recent months, she started to forget who my MIL was and had regressed into childhood, often seeing her old nanny sitting in the room with her. She turned 103 back in July and has been fairly healthy up until this past year, so she's got that going for her. I just really hope she doesn't pass tomorrow. It's the 1 year anniversary of my FIL passing and it would be nice if my husband didn't have to associate the day with two close family deaths.

Beyond that, just trying to put together plans for Halloween. We've opted to celebrate with our softball family, since we've stayed in close contact with them since all of this started. The kids are going to try and trick-or-treat with the other girls on the team, and while there are no real rules for it here, mine will be masked. I was hoping to also be sporting a joke costume for tomorrow night, but it looks like it was lost in the mail, so I'll have to throw something else together.
I'm sorry she's not doing well. 103....WOW...that's pretty incredible! It's so sad that she doesn't recognize people, though. I think sometimes it's almost a blessing when the end comes in a situation like that. The waiting is so hard...you know it's coming, and you both dread it and look forward to the relief it brings that she's not suffering, and to have the uncertainty over with. My mom died on the 4th of July, and while that is really hard (less so over here where it's not a "thing" and I don't have happy people celebrating all around me) I was kind of glad that she went so quickly. It's just so awful all the way around. Do you think it might be easier for your husband to only have one day that he has to dread if she did go tomorrow? Or do you think it would make Halloween just awful? My friend told me in her culture, (Iran) that people who are born on or pass on a holiday are special, because they were so important that they needed more than an ordinary day to mark it.

Sans Souci

I was actually thinking about your FIL when you said your husband's grandmother was ill. I remember he had bone pain last summer from his chemo and he passed. I couldn't remember exactly when. I am sorry for you guys. It is a heartbreaking situation all around. It's not enough that someone is robbed of their memories, but that have to deal with pneumonia, too, in the midst of an uncontrolled pandemic.

I hope your girls enjoy tomorrow. I am putting out a table and lining up candy on it (with a note to take ONE). I rarely get more than a handful of trick or treaters (if any), so I only bought one bag, but it's 2 lb. Our city has a sign you can download to say you're not comfortable opening the door right now, but to come back next year. It's easy for us to put out a little table with candy spread out, although I don't blame people for not wanting to participate this year, especially when numbers are rising again.

Sans Souci

I'm so sorry!!! I think that's the worst, that families can't be with their loved ones and people are dying alone. It's so sad. I'm like you...I have no patience for the "It's just a flu!" or worse "the flu is worse than this!" people. The flu may be much more debilitating to some, but just because you're not in a high risk group for Covid doesn't mean it's not more serious for someone else. Maybe the flu is worse for you, but that doesn't mean it's that way for everyone. It's like saying that breast cancer isn't as bad as heart disease. They both kill people and affect thousands of people. They are BOTH worthy of attention and trying to prevent and develop new treatments for them. Acknowledging one doesn't reduce the severity of the other. When did we lose the ability to empathize? When did illness become a battle for top billing? Why do we need to rank them? As though someone who dies from one is any better off or worse off than dying from another? It's mind boggling.

I honestly don't understand any of it. I don't understand the lack of empathy, I don't understand this vein of anti-science that is currently running through this country. This shouldn't be a political issue--this is what I find frustrating. I was lurking in the Covid thread in News and Rumors and there is a poster who claims to work for a pharmaceutical company saying there are no data proving masks are effective and people should have the right not to wear them. NOBODY IS SAYING MASKS ARE 100% EFFECTIVE, but combined with hand washing and social distancing, you have a better chance of staying COVID free if you have to be out and about. I'm sorry for venting, but I am really ed off that the last time I saw my grandmother was last Thanksgiving and I was really sick on that visit, so I stayed back in the hotel room on Thanksgiving. I didn't want my grandmother to get ill and she told my husband she was sad I didn't come anyway. I wasn't too worried at the time, because we had plans to go for Easter, and then this crap show happened and we couldn't go.

Sans Souci

Hello-

I finished week 8 of 12 today. I think this is the longest I've stayed with a program. There is another 12 weeks after this one that progressively becomes more challenging, so I will continue to subscribe to this app until I get sick of it. I like that the workouts are quick and there are some foam roller recovery "workouts," too. I've been slowly working my way through some knots in my muscles.

I don't think I am getting out for a walk today. It's in the 40s and gloomy and I am not ready to deal with that. 👎 :p So, I've been doing five minutes of bouncing on my rebounder here and there through out the day. I put some music on and bounce, do jumping jacks, high knees, etc. It's fun.

My husband's been trying to get a slot for us to video chat with my gram today. They were all taken yesterday, so I hope we can chat for a bit today. :)

Songbird76

Hello-

I finished week 8 of 12 today. I think this is the longest I've stayed with a program. There is another 12 weeks after this one that progressively becomes more challenging, so I will continue to subscribe to this app until I get sick of it. I like that the workouts are quick and there are some foam roller recovery "workouts," too. I've been slowly working my way through some knots in my muscles.

I don't think I am getting out for a walk today. It's in the 40s and gloomy and I am not ready to deal with that. 👎 :p So, I've been doing five minutes of bouncing on my rebounder here and there through out the day. I put some music on and bounce, do jumping jacks, high knees, etc. It's fun.

My husband's been trying to get a slot for us to video chat with my gram today. They were all taken yesterday, so I hope we can chat for a bit today. :)
Good luck with the chat. I hope you can get a slot. It may not be the same, but it's better than nothing, and at least she will know that you care about her.

My exercise today consisted of riding my bike to take A to chess in the rain. It was nice for once not to have to work on a Friday night.

Sans Souci

Good morning-

I started week 9 of 12 today. I had to turn my space heater on until I was warmed up. 🥶

We didn't get any Trick or Treaters on Sat. My husband and I went for a walk during ToT hours and we only saw 3 HS kids out, no small kids. But lots of people had candies spread out on their driveways, tables on drive ways. Some people went all out with tables--so cute. All I had was a small bistro table with a Lightning McQueen blanket draped over it. 😂 So, I still have loads of candy.

I am hoping to get out for a walk later on. It's really chilly and windy, though. I'll wait until the temps come up a bit and bundle up.

Take care. 🍁

HouCuseChickie

I'm sorry she's not doing well. 103....WOW...that's pretty incredible! It's so sad that she doesn't recognize people, though. I think sometimes it's almost a blessing when the end comes in a situation like that. The waiting is so hard...you know it's coming, and you both dread it and look forward to the relief it brings that she's not suffering, and to have the uncertainty over with. My mom died on the 4th of July, and while that is really hard (less so over here where it's not a "thing" and I don't have happy people celebrating all around me) I was kind of glad that she went so quickly. It's just so awful all the way around. Do you think it might be easier for your husband to only have one day that he has to dread if she did go tomorrow? Or do you think it would make Halloween just awful? My friend told me in her culture, (Iran) that people who are born on or pass on a holiday are special, because they were so important that they needed more than an ordinary day to mark it.

She lived a long life and was in very good health up until last year. Heck, she was volunteering at a local medical facility well into her late 90s. I'm sorry about your mom. I guess at least you don't have all of the 4th of July festivities over there to make it more difficult. I often wonder if quick or long and drawn out is better or worse. You hate seeing a person suffer, but quick can also be so mentally jarring. I do like the concept you've described from your friend. A special day for the passing of a really special person.

HouCuseChickie

I was actually thinking about your FIL when you said your husband's grandmother was ill. I remember he had bone pain last summer from his chemo and he passed. I couldn't remember exactly when. I am sorry for you guys. It is a heartbreaking situation all around. It's not enough that someone is robbed of their memories, but that have to deal with pneumonia, too, in the midst of an uncontrolled pandemic.

I hope your girls enjoy tomorrow. I am putting out a table and lining up candy on it (with a note to take ONE). I rarely get more than a handful of trick or treaters (if any), so I only bought one bag, but it's 2 lb. Our city has a sign you can download to say you're not comfortable opening the door right now, but to come back next year. It's easy for us to put out a little table with candy spread out, although I don't blame people for not wanting to participate this year, especially when numbers are rising again.

It's part of why they sedated her in her final days. The prognosis wasn't good and she wasn't really able to communicate with others. I think her memory going in all of it added an element of confusion and discomfort. So, they just tried to make her comfortable.

We saw a variety of approaches here...from the traditional, to the tables and boxes with a "take one" sign, to contraptions. We went to the home of one of my younger one's teammates and the kids went around their neighborhood. Most of the stuff at their house also took place outside, which was also good. They said things weren't nearly as good as previous years, but there were still a lot of people trick-or-treating and handing out goodies. Was it a 0 risk activity...no, but when all was said and done, it felt less risky than some of the other things we've done...like dining indoors at restaurants.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom