Disneyland and Disney World lay off 28,000 employees amid pandemic struggles - OCR/SCNG

Jefro

These layoffs are not just at Disneyland. Walt Disney World now has no mandatory restrictions but there are still going to be layoffs. Why not highlight the specific impact at Disneyland Resort due to it being closed as part of the pressure campaign? Disney will have to disclose the numbers so they could have said right away “x number of jobs are being eliminated specifically due to the continued closure of the Disneyland Resort.”
I think, guessing here, 67% being part time at least a a decent amount of DL and it's 32k employees. I can see some from wdw, sure, but with a fully open park in the future there (based on the Gov there), it's more likely they keep folks around than a park with no open in sight. And prob not a ton of PT employees at corporate. Though that would be an interesting stat if someone had it.

fctiger

This is just terrible.

First off, I support things being locked down, always have and still do...to a degree. But even for me, I think this is just too much. I know there is no easy solutions but thing is if ALL the other parks have opened and not seen any major spikes then it does say A. they are being very responsible and B. that you can open safely.

I was sure being in Florida, almost 100% sure as irresponsible that state has been (and still is), WDW was going to be a breeding ground of the highest order once they opened in the summer. But to my surprise and relief all the parks there sound like they have been generally fine. I thought WDW was kind of the test, see how well that does and then DLR will eventually follow suit down the line, assuming the cases weren't relatively higher in California than Florida. And while other countries have a much better containment than America does where the other Disney parks are, they are all taking it very seriously with all the social distancing measures and its working. HKDL just reopened this week as well. That's the other thing, if cases look like they are spiking then they can shut it down again. But at this point I don't know what's the harm of just starting extra light like the other parks and see how it goes for a few weeks? Especially now that we are in the slower seasons again.

I'm not going to make this political, I honestly believe everyone involved is just trying to do the best they can in a horrible situation no one was prepared for. But I feel for Disney and all these parks in California because they DO have such a high number of staff who depends on them and already been out of work for months. Disney might be a behemoth company but they can't print their own money either. It just sucks all around and I feel bad for so many losing their jobs. And my guess is the California parks won't be open until early next year the soonest. Even I thought they would eventually open by now.

Jefro

This is just terrible.

First off, I support things being locked down, always have and still do...to a degree. But even for me, I think this is just too much. I know there is no easy solutions but thing is if ALL the other parks have opened and not seen any major spikes then it does say A. they are being very responsible and B. that you can open safely.

I was sure being in Florida, almost 100% sure as irresponsible that state has been (and still is), WDW was going to be a breeding ground of the highest order once they opened in the summer. But to my surprise and relief all the parks there sound like they have been generally fine. I thought WDW was kind of the test, see how well that does and then DLR will eventually follow suit down the line, assuming the cases weren't relatively higher in California than Florida. And while other countries have a much better containment than America does where the other Disney parks are, they are all taking it very seriously with all the social distancing measures and its working. HKDL just reopened this week as well. That's the other thing, if cases look like they are spiking then they can shut it down again. But at this point I don't know what's the harm of just starting extra light like the other parks and see how it goes for a few weeks? Especially now that we are in the slower seasons again.

I'm not going to make this political, I honestly believe everyone involved is just trying to do the best they can in a horrible situation no one was prepared for. But I feel for Disney and all these parks in California because they DO have such a high number of staff who depends on them and already been out of work for months. Disney might be a behemoth company but they can't print their own money either. It just sucks all around and I feel bad for so many losing their jobs. And my guess is the California parks won't be open until early next year the soonest. Even I thought they would eventually open by now.

Well said.

TP2000

Unite Here is the most vocal anti-Disney union, led by firebrand Ada Briceno. They are losing about one third of their union workers in the layoffs. That's gotta hurt.

This also gives us an idea of how much of Disneyland Resort's staffing is being cut; about one third of the 30,000 CM's they had back in January.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Unite Here is the most vocal anti-Disney union, led by firebrand Ada Briceno. They are losing about one third of their union workers in the layoffs. That's gotta hurt.

This also gives us an idea of how much of Disneyland Resort's staffing is being cut; about one third of the 30,000 CM's they had back in January.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I should add that UNITE HERE 11 isn't really participating in Southern California's November Election.

They don't have the funds to spend, nor the members that can volunteer to work the election. (Many of those volunteer hours get covered by the employer, as employees do get specific hours for union activities).

It is making an interesting different dynamic in an election that has so many different dynamics due to COVID-19.

The Council Meeting is still going strong on the Angel Stadium project. (Officially known as the "Stadium District Sub-Area A project")

Lilofan

Aloha,

Thinking out of the box, any chance the 28K personnel lay-off is connected to Bog Iger’s restructuring plans?
It's been a few years that Iger envisioned a leaner more efficiently run organization. He stated that on record. Hardly anyone paid attention to his vision at the time.

Last edited:

cmwade77

Getting back on topic, I predict that Newsom will have a press conference today (tomorrow at the latest) and one of two things will happen:
  • He will release theme park guidelines and pretend that he always intended to release them at that time and accuse Disney and other theme parks of not being patient.
  • He will completely vilify Disney for laying off so many people and will fail to acknowledge that he is the reason the number is as high as it is.
I think the first one vilifies Disney, the second one could backfire in a major way, as some of the Disneyland unions have said that their members will receive notice of termination on November 1. And I think that is a political move on Disney's part, as it gives enough time for people to forget it if Newsom went this route and still enough time for Disney to vilify the Democrats before the election.

So, overall the next day or two will be interesting to see how it plays out, but one thing is clear, the layoffs are a political move and unfortunately CMs are pawns in this ultra high stakes game of chess.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Dr. Moreno spent a few minutes tonight during the city council's COVID-19 update to slam the Mayor and others wanting to reopen the parks.

Basically a political speech claiming that the Zip Code 92805 area will have increased cases if the parks reopen and describing the worse case scenario. There should be news reports tomorrow sharing some of the comments, and the video will be available at Anaheim.net (Item 5).

Dr. Moreno's comments regarding not opening up Disneyland starts at the 2 hour, 4 minute mark.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Disney doesnt care about the election, they care about making money. Newsom doesn't care about these lost jobs either. I don't expect any conference to happen soon.

Sorry, Disney does care about the election, especially here in Anaheim/Orange County.

I work with the DLR Government Relations on a regular basis, and Disney funds S.O.A.R. with Millions of Dollars.

Yes, making sure certain election outcomes occur makes projects go more smoothly and allows the resort to operate in a way to make a profit.

Jefro

Sorry, Disney does care about the election, especially here in Anaheim/Orange County.

I work with the DLR Government Relations on a regular basis, and Disney funds S.O.A.R. with Millions of Dollars.

Yes, making sure certain election outcomes occur makes projects go more smoothly and allows the resort to operate in a way to make a profit.
Yep. If they only cared about the $$, they would have executed this months ago. I think they are playing the hand they have, come what may. Looks like there could be 19-21k people, based on the article above, will soon be out CA side on the benefits end, not to mention the emotional and civic costs you are talking about.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"BlogMickey.com has learned that over 2,600 non-union Cast Members will be laid off at the Disneyland Resort in California. According to the WARN notice that was filed with the state of California and obtained by BlogMickey.com, 2,691 non-union Cast Members will be let go beginning December 4th. Here is the breakdown of business groups affected by the layoffs:

Disney Parks and Resorts (Disneyland and related operations): 2,467
Disney Entertainment: 129
Disney Destinations: 95"

Stevek

Gotta love some of the Disney Twitter/Fan Pages out there. A handful of them posting stories about the layoffs and using pictures of Disneyland/DCA in the rain. Coincidence? I think not. What better way to promote the story than with a gloomy rainy picture of the Happiest Place on Earth...that doesn't really get a ton of rain days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom