Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopemax

As I said, from studying previous viruses. I guess I was expecting too much.
Most of our modern medicine is pretty young. Virology didn't become a thing until the turn of the 20th century. Advancement really came with the invention of the electron microscope in the 1930's. For all that we know about older viruses now, studying new viruses in real time has been limited in opportunity. Especially, something global as this one vs ones where the outbreaks were more regionally limited, thankfully. But smaller outbreaks also mean smaller money and attention into the research.

@oceanbreeze77 mentioned Parkinson's up thread, that was an interesting subject which I hadn't heard about, to pop up in my reading of all this infectious disease general knowledge research. Possible correlation between an illness (flu) in childhood, followed by 50 years of normal living, and then bam, a debilitating condition. Humbleness or hubris before nature, our choice. Anyway, for me, I would still rather go with a vaccine over natural exposure to possibly avoid messing around with long covid or long term surprises.

And dang Florida, I want to go visit my Dad, but you make it so hard.

Bob Harlem

Looks like two week running positivity rate is below 5%, daily deaths is still high, but when you look at it by date of death it's the lowest it has been since March. Covid Hospitalization is really low, (And next to nonexisitant in University Students) and ICU use is even smaller.

ICbk8Oa[1].png

Agree with it or not, that's why Phase 3 is happening. Severity is way down.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Give me a break buddy. For the last 6 months you have made it your mission to bash Americans at every opportunity. We get it. You hate us. You look down your nose at the rest of us. Call everyone selfish and arrogant. Continuous backhand political comments because you have no self control. And before the virus, your mission was to bash everyone who said anything positive about Disney. Same thing. Different topic. It is who you have been since you joined. God help you if you actually act this way outside of this environment.
You think this has anything to do with national pride?

It has to do with community action (or inaction) and setting the right priorities to protect everyone. Not spread nonsense about herds and sacrificing the weak.

Don’t think to question my patriotism. It’s a loser proposition. Or my understanding of history. The people of the United States have show resiliency and the ability to prioritize and sacrifice for larger goals than money and the individual. It’s not inappropriate to ask them to do that. They might have surprised you if given the chance.

Instead we have wasted the entire summer beating back lies and debating who the expert is?

It’s very patriotic to continue to learn and to engage in your governance. You can ask “why?” And still contribute to your community.
I’m sad that recognizing flaws - which is a part of the quest for knowledge - is condemned as not having merit. A person admitting to what they’ve done wrong is a show of strength...so too can it be for a country.

Ok...Florida is open. Better get on 95 or 75 before the traffic backs up.

Oh...and regarding my Disney thoughts. Honestly. That’s not it. Being a good consumer is never a bad thing. Ask “what am I paying for?” And then buy it if you are happy to do it. 2 step process...not a 1. If that’s asking too much...it points to immaturity.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

@oceanbreeze77 mentioned Parkinson's up thread, that was an interesting subject which I hadn't heard about, to pop up in my reading of all this infectious disease general knowledge research. Possible correlation between an illness (flu) in childhood, followed by 50 years of normal living, and then bam, a debilitating condition. Humbleness or hubris before nature, our choice. Anyway, for me, I would still rather go with a vaccine over natural exposure to possibly avoid messing around with long covid or long term surprises.
This was called "encephalitis lethargica" at the time. The onset wasn't decades later, but during or not long after the initial illness. There was a spike of cases between the years 1917-1927, so the 1918 pandemic is thought (but not proven definitively) to be the primary cause.
The movie "Awakenings" is a dramatization of the discovery that many of these people who had been catatonic for decades actually had a form of Parkinsonism

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Looks like two week running positivity rate is below 5%, daily deaths is still high, but when you look at it by date of death it's the lowest it has been since March. Covid Hospitalization is really low, (And next to nonexisitant in University Students) and ICU use is even smaller.

View attachment 500515

Agree with it or not, that's why Phase 3 is happening. Severity is way down.

Last 7 days 18,224 cases on 425,070 tests. Percent positive 4.3%
previous 7 days 18,812 cases on 483,293 tests. Percent positive 3.9%

Looks like percent positive is rising some but number of tests down so cases only slightly up week over week. I don’t see any trend that shows me it’s time to remove all restrictions. Seems like jumping the gun. It’s within the governor‘s rights to do it and it’s within citizen’s rights to be critical of the decision.

Heppenheimer

You think this has anything to do with national pride?

It has to do with community action (or inaction) and setting the right priorities to protect everyone. Not spread nonsense about herds and sacrificing the weak.

Don’t think to question my patriotism. It’s a loser proposition. Or my understanding of history. The people of the United States have show resiliency and the ability to prioritize and sacrifice for larger goals than money and the individual. It’s not inappropriate to ask them to do that. They might have surprised you if given the chance.

Instead we have wasted the entire summer beating back lies and debating who the expert is?

It’s very patriotic to continue to learn and to engage in your governance. You can ask “why?” And still contribute to your community.
I’m sad that recognizing flaws - which is a part of the quest for knowledge - is condemned as not having merit. A person admitting to what they’ve done wrong is a show of strength...so too can it be for a country.

Ok...Florida is open. Better get on 95 or 75 before the traffic backs up.
This pandemic has unfortunately taught me something very harsh. You can serve in your country's military for a decade, endure several combat deployments, but the minute you suggest that perhaps striving to improve your country by following the examples of where other, friendly allied countries have experienced success, your patriotism is immediately questioned. I could get even more political here, but I'll leave it at that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This pandemic has unfortunately taught me something very harsh. You can serve in your country's military for a decade, endure several combat deployments, but the minute you suggest that perhaps striving to improve your country by following the examples of where other, friendly allied countries have experienced success, your patriotism is immediately questioned.
Toxic culture...been brewing since the 1990s...probably earlier.

We need better angels. More than ever.

Jwink

Okay. See my last post. Metrics were established for Phase 3. The state met them. Just when is it acceptable then? He could reopen a year from now and it still wouldn’t be acceptable for some.
I’m sorry... what criteria did Florida meet? I must have missed it. We have stayed above 5% for most of the last month and had I think 9 days below? Now it’s going up again... deaths are still high... I mean we are actually worse off than in the beginning ... cases are plateaued NOT decreasing... it hardly seems to be the time to throw caution to the wind

Jwink

Give me a break buddy. For the last 6 months you have made it your mission to bash Americans at every opportunity. We get it. You hate us. You look down your nose at the rest of us. Call everyone selfish and arrogant. Continuous backhand political comments because you have no self control. And before the virus, your mission was to bash everyone who said anything positive about Disney. Same thing. Different topic. It is who you have been since you joined. God help you if you actually act this way outside of this environment.
To be fair...the US is the laughing stock of the world. People pity us and our leadership... like... most countries. I have friends from other countries due to my job and they’re aghast at some of the things our leaders have done and said.

Covid-19 should never have been down played. The US should have operated as one entity and instead operated (as always) two incredibly divisive forces that constantly berate each other. I’m shocked there hasn’t been a civil war to be honest.... but I feel it stirring.

Jwink

These are the ‘metrics’ provided for phase 3 by the state:

View attachment 500482

I’m honestly at a loss as to how ‘downward trajectory’ is interpreted from the current state reported numbers. The Governor clearly has a different definition of ‘downward’ then I do, or is cherry picking the dates to consider that basis (obviously, the trend is downward relative to April!) The goalposts continue to move.

A lot of people just want the state to follow what seems to be reasonably established CDC guidelines. A lot more people just want the state to follow their own guidelines. If they did that, I would be in the ‘acceptable’ camp. This is not that.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t DeSantis change reporting rules? Like no out of state people counted, and the way some other stuff is reported? The woman who was fired for refusing to manipulate the data also predicted there would be a sharp downturn of cases following the rule changes.

we are still at 5%+ positivity... and 2500-3500 cases a day... we should not be moving forward with reopening... especially when other states are better off than we are and still closed

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m sorry... what criteria did Florida meet? I must have missed it. We have stayed above 5% for most of the last month and had I think 9 days below? Now it’s going up again... deaths are still high... I mean we are actually worse off than in the beginning ... cases are plateaued NOT decreasing... it hardly seems to be the time to throw caution to the wind
Cynic alert

They met the “We NEED (been told) to show we’ve beaten the virus on 9/25”
...that seems obviously to anyone in the 5th grade.

On more practical terms: they are likely bleeding money and are getting desperate. Like every other state in the country...every single one. Remember the US covid money’s run out next Thursday...all the provisions and protections. Massive economic hit.

All states....ALL states. So now words matter.

(Ok...I don’t want too get to real here. Too late...I know)

Florida has to get a 14 day rolling decline to get off the lists of the - frankly - big money states. The won’t get travel to resume until they get confidence in those numbers...even if symbolic. Perception is reality.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

What's so hard? Wear a mask when in public (a lot of people look better in masks), wash the hands regularly, disinfect common touch areas regularly and social distance (spread out , give each other some elbow room), businesses can further enhance those things with protocols commensurate with what they do. Do not need governmental supervision to do that. Personally I am looking forward to simply enjoying a Dole Whip Rum Float at MK.

olie64

On more practical terms: they are likely bleeding money and are getting desperate. Like every other state in the country...every single one. Remember the US covid money’s run out next Thursday...all the provisions and protections. Massive economic hit.

Florida has to get a 14 day rolling decline to get off the lists of the - frankly - but money states. The won’t get travel to resume until they get confidence in those numbers...even if symbolic. Perception is reality.

And with no income tax to fall back on they need the sale taxes.

Jwink

What's so hard? Wear a mask when in public (a lot of people look better in masks), wash the hands regularly, disinfect common touch areas regularly and social distance (spread out , give each other some elbow room), businesses can further enhance those things with protocols commensurate with what they do. Do not need governmental supervision to do that. Personally I am looking forward to simply enjoying a Dole Whip Rum Float at MK.
I’m fine with those precautions ...But it takes 2 to make masks effective. And if sweaty Bob is standing close enough to me that I can feel him breathing, masked or not, I can smell his onion bagel, which means I’ve got whatever he’s got.

Ldno

Cynic alert

They met the “We NEED (been told) to show we’ve beaten the virus on 9/25”
...that seems obviously to anyone in the 5th grade.

Florida has to get a 14 day rolling decline to get off the lists of the - frankly - but money states. The won’t get travel to resume until they get confidence in those numbers...even if symbolic. Perception is reality.
I know they frown upon politic talk here, but you can clearly see the difference, DeSantis is now desperate to get the state from collapsing, now I‘m wondering what Newson is all about. Disney will play it safe for everyone but I can foresee normality in things towards the holidays, they just lifted the mask restrictions with no fines so expect to see more stunts at the parks in regards to that. Start booking your trip and do not hesitate!

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

I’m fine with those precautions ...But it takes 2 to make masks effective. And if sweaty Bob is standing close enough to me that I can feel him breathing, masked or not, I can smell his onion bagel, which means I’ve got whatever he’s got.
Yep. You are correct, but, sweaty Bob has been standing too close to many already despite the oversight of big brother. Hence, the spread. At least that Dole Whip Rum Float will taste mighty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom