News Holidays 2020 at Walt Disney World

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So, has there been any clues as to what the actual nighttime hours might be ? I guess it will get dark around 6:00pm. Closing times around 11:00 would be great to allow for all of the other activities being cancelled ! :angelic:
Right now through the 3rd week of November the MK hours are cut back from a 7PM close to a 6PM close. There’s some hope they would extend it back to 7 or maybe 8 for the holidays. I would be pretty surprised to see 11. I would say 8 would be best case but more likely at least a return to 7pm close. Maybe later for Christmas week and NYE.

note2001

You get the decorations, Christmas projections, and some mini-Christmas parades. Normally you only get one of those unless you pay extra for a party. You also don't have MK being closed early for upcharge events more days than not. In exchange, you lose special castle lights and a show at Epcot. I dunno, this feels like a win for guests. If I was waffling, this would make me more inclined to visit this Christmas. The biggest question would be the hours.
You're making the assumption that the parks will be open later. Disney has omitted any mention of park hours from their announcement.

rowrbazzle

If the hours don’t change MK will actually close the same time 7 days a week then it did on select nights during MVMCP. With park hopping in the past you could at least go to EPCOT or DHS or even AK (with the Pandora addition) at night when MK closed early. I think it’s a pretty decent attempt by Disney to offer some sort of holiday magic given the limitations but I wouldn’t call it a win over the past offerings. Just my opinion.
True. If they don't extend the hours, then I think that would offset most of the good stuff I see here.

We were looking at a trip next year and wondering what the hours will be like. I'm not sure how appealing it would be if the parks look like they do right now.
You're making the assumption that the parks will be open later. Disney has carefully omitted any mention of park hours from their announcement.
Yes, that's why I said at the end, "the biggest question would be the hours." If they're not open later, then I don't think it much matters what they offer during the day.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Right now through the 3rd week of November the MK hours are cut back from a 7PM close to a 6PM close. There’s some hope they would extend it back to 7 or maybe 8 for the holidays. I would be pretty surprised to see 11. I would say 8 would be best case but more likely at least a return to 7pm close. Maybe later for Christmas week and NYE.
Agree. I'd be happy with 8pm weekdays and 9pm weekends/Christmas week and NYE MK's closing times.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
True. If they don't extend the hours, then I think that would offset most of the good stuff I see here.

We were looking at a trip next year and wondering what the hours will be like. I'm not sure how appealing it would be if the parks look like they do right now.

Yes, that's why I said at the end, "the biggest question would be the hours." If they're not open later, then I don't think it much matters what they offer during the day.
I think extending the hours is dependent on the crowds which to some extent is dependent on how long the parks are open. Somewhat of a circular reference. With Covid concerns I don’t know how much Disney wants the crowds back. It’s a tough call. Too big a crowd generates negative PR, too small and you lose money. I have to assume that if a vaccine hits and some or all of the Covid restrictions go away by next summer that the hours and park hopping will be back along with parades, night shows and meet and greets.

Goofnut1980

Killing Dreamlights seems like a cost savings choice to me. Even if they just flip a switch at twilight, it seems like a ridiculous thing to cut.

Again, stop supporting this people, this is a cheap out.

Plus you can't tell me that the dream lights use more electricity than the wear and tear of those image mapping projectors that cost how many million per unit. Cant tell me that is a small LED on the inside. LOL

ThatMouse

Plus you can't tell me that the dream lights use more electricity than the wear and tear of those image mapping projectors that cost how many million per unit. Cant tell me that is a small LED on the inside. LOL

I think the projectors are more in the $10k range each and the technology keeps getting cheaper. The labor, mounting, and housing probably costs more. IMO they are way overused and makes everyone gather in front of the castle to the point where you can't even go in and out of the hub. I'm only cancelling because I still think December will be too busy to have enough distancing. Right after thanksgiving is not a great time to be out around other people.

Nmoody1

I only hope the merchandise line for Xmas has something similar to the Halloween stickers... $4.99 for a pack of stickers. WHAT a STEAL

....Don't tell anyone you get stickers free at HKDL and SHDR

brb1006

Remember when Cinderella Castle used to not have Christmas lights? Here's footage of Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party from December 1994. Even the Christmas Tree at Main Street was better.

Lora Baines Bradley

A vaccine won’t impact Christmas week. Even if one works and is approved in the late fall it still needs to be distributed and people need to get vaccinated. High risk and first responders first then the general public afterwards. The leading candidates all require 2 vaccinations 3 to 4 weeks apart too so even if you started vaccinations as early as Dec (which is not likely) you won’t have everyone done until probably end of March. The best hope for WDW and a vaccine is probably that they salvage Spring Break 2021 by relaxing restrictions by then. More conservative view would be they can ease up on restrictions by the summer season. All of that is based on a vaccine working and the trials to have a positive outcome.
They still sell a "Spring Break 2020" Pin at DS. Cracked me up when I saw it and probably would have bought it if money wasn't so tight rn, lol.

techgeek

I think the projectors are more in the $10k range each and the technology keeps getting cheaper. The labor, mounting, and housing probably costs more. IMO they are way overused and makes everyone gather in front of the castle to the point where you can't even go in and out of the hub. I'm only cancelling because I still think December will be too busy to have enough distancing. Right after thanksgiving is not a great time to be out around other people.

Disney has a contract / deal with Panasonic for projectors these days, so they probably get a great deal... But for large venue projection applications like this, a 4K 30,000 lumen or greater laser projector is the size of a decent coffee table, weighs 150+ pounds, and has retail price well into the six figure range. The lens alone costs more then $10k. It would not be a stretch to say there’s a couple million dollars of projection gear hitting the castle.

Billie borella

I was wondering about New Years? Will they still have the decorations up after the 30th? We are suppose to come 31st through the 3rd and have never been at that time of year. I know hours will Be short but so should crowds as I’m sure they will still have lowered capacity.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I was wondering about New Years? Will they still have the decorations up after the 30th? We are suppose to come 31st through the 3rd and have never been at that time of year. I know hours will Be short but so should crowds as I’m sure they will still have lowered capacity.
In the past they always did. The decorations started coming down in January. I remember being at the parks the week after New Years and most if not all the Christmas gear was still out. This year is a little different so who knows but I’d guess it will still be out. Crowds were great in normal times so I imagine they will be even smaller now.

ToTBellHop

I’m not so sure. Lines were pretty long this past weekend.

TTA94

If things continue to improve with COVID by late November could they maaybe add in a projection show? I thought we were going to at least get that, not just a steady on projection.

RIP castle Dreamlights. I’m with everyone else thinking theres more to the cancellation than just Covid. And if they are going to do anything else with the castle for the 50th? I doubt we will get them back next year either.

dvitali

I guess that they are Not going to have a Taping of the Xmas Day parade this year on ABC Because of park crowds. Reruns perhap But nothing new unless they taped without crowds around the property. Floats being used during the day is a no go, maybe reruns on the internet . Wonder how they going to fill the two hours on Xmas day. NBA from disney ESPN double header?

aladdin2007

Remember when Cinderella Castle used to not have Christmas lights? Here's footage of Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party from December 1994. Even the Christmas Tree at Main Street was better.

MK has not been the same during the season to me since they quit using the wreath garlands across main street, those were quintessential Disney to me at one time. And all at the expense for that disjointed festival of fantasy parade. The oversize wreaths on brackets on the sides just dont cut it. And epcots decor has diminished year by year down to nearly nothing, so Im not expecting much of anything there this year either, its mainly just a seasonal overlay of the foodandwine. I bet they cut back on decor even more this year from parks to resorts, will see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom