On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Does he have a crystal ball?
No, but he has one of these...
1599108107497.png

YorkshireT

Service is terrible in Europe, but when you only have one waiter for twenty tables it’s expected. Good news is you don’t have to tip.

Europe is a big place with lots of very different countries.

20 years ago the US used to have better service than the UK generally in restaurants.

Nowadays no difference - not sure whether it’s because UK is better or US worse, I think possibly a bit of both.

I travel extensively usually but this year have had my wings clipped and only been to Paris, Spain a few times, Tenerife, Dublin and USA and I honestly could not separate any of them out on service in restaurants- none stood above another.

I can however say that USA tipping culture is abnormal- it’s not really done anywhere else the same (I’d say UK is closest but it’s still optional and not expected unless a big party in some restaurants, a lot don’t tip, if they do they leave often a few £s or 10%) including Middle East, Far East, Europe, Eastern Europe, Africa, or Australia. Only the US and Canada.

Lilofan

I don’t tip much in Europe. It would be nice if European followed our cultural norms.
Biggest frustrations of Orlando waiters is that some of the UK tourist that eat in Central Florida tip little or not tip at all. Gratuity reminders are written in most checks.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Biggest frustrations of Orlando waiters is that some of the UK tourist that eat in Central Florida tip little or not tip at all. Gratuity reminders are written in most checks.
Biggest frustration of European (and British 😉) travellers is having a tip suggestion. We have always tipped on the service not the amount spent. If the server keeps mentioning tips or points it out on the cheque then I will tip minimum.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There are two trains of thought - as a visitor on US soil do you follow US custom, or do you do what you think what’s right and not make up for someone else’s wage problem. Unless of course the service deserves it.

But please don’t penalise me for having a largerr party and automatically increasing my bill even with shoddy service.

Or is there a middle ground?

Or is this off topic?

MaximumEd

There are two trains of thought - as a visitor on US soil do you follow US custom, or do you do what you think what’s right and not make up for someone else’s wage problem. Unless of course the service deserves it.

But please don’t penalise me for having a largerr party and automatically increasing my bill even with shoddy service.

Or is this off topic?

Yes. 😂

Heppenheimer

I would be happy if we didn't associate "good service" to equal coming by my table every 10 minutes to ask "Is everything OK? Can I get you anything?"

Personally, I like the European habit of the customer signaling to the server when they are ready or need something. Allows you to enjoy the meal at your own pace.

And of course, including both the service and tax in the listed price is something I wish we would adopt.

DisneyDebRob

Or is this off topic?
Off topic but welcome to the thread! Everything else seems to be also. 🙂🤣

Lilofan

Governor DeSantis of FL is encouraging residents to have staycations. FL needs them to spend their discretionary income in-state to help revive the much needed FL tourism economy.

John park hopper

I would be happy if we didn't associate "good service" to equal coming by my table every 10 minutes to ask "Is everything OK? Can I get you anything?"

Personally, I like the European habit of the customer signaling to the server when they are ready or need something. Allows you to enjoy the meal at your own pace.

And of course, including both the service and tax in the listed price is something I wish we would adopt.
Disney is all about get you in and out as fast as possible, the longer you sit there the less $$$ they are making. Tipping should be a personal thing not automatically added to the bill. I've had horrible service and have left a penny and great service I've tipped 30% of the bill. my 2 cents

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom