News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Place de Remy was designed from scratch for Disney Studios Paris. It's the Pixar version of Paris as depicted in its own self contained courtyard.

France at EPCOT is supposed to take a more authentic, though still romanticized approach.

Disney tried to recycle as much as they could of the WDSP exterior, while also looking to cut corners on new additions [painted flats] and it just doesn't fit with the existing pavilion. Yes, it's all "French", but that doesn't mean any French inspired design will work. Material, shape and colour all matter and they really could (and should) have done better.

I'd wager that anyone who has seen Place de Remy at WDSP in person will likely not be as impressed with the Epcot version. I could be totally wrong, though. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product in person, but when I'll be able to do that is anyone's guess right now.

EricsBiscuit

Romanticizing is not imitating the fake in the sense of my comments. The real is spaces occupied by humans. It's the difference between a window that is actually too small creating the illusion of being habitable and one that is obviously a small window with nothing behind it. When people think of Paris they don't think of inoperable shutters, bizarre split levels and fake Mansard roofs.
Thanks for the clarification. I agree with this statement.

castlecake2.0

Any plans for this wall?
60E1A88D-5277-4CD9-A9BE-9BD4B1029068.jpeg

rowrbazzle

I'd wager that anyone who has seen Place de Remy at WDSP in person will likely not be as impressed with the Epcot version. I could be totally wrong, though. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product in person, but when I'll be able to do that is anyone's guess right now.

I'd wager that the vast majority of guests visiting the Epcot version will not have seen the version in Paris. If they've even heard of it, I'd wager they couldn't tell you the park it's in. If whatever Disney is doing at Epcot is inferior to the original, they can get away with it.

Epcot82Guy

Having seen that version, I agree entirely. It really is just full of very odd design choices. They may look ok on a glance, but it just doesn't make sense when you really pay attention to it.

Rose&Crown

I’d agree with this. That courtyard was really well done. I’m going to hold final judgment obviously until I see Epcot’s in person but those flat buildings look awful. Also really curious how odd that structure in the middle is going to look/feel.

hpyhnt 1000

I’d agree with this. That courtyard was really well done. I’m going to hold final judgment obviously until I see Epcot’s in person but those flat buildings look awful. Also really curious how odd that structure in the middle is going to look/feel.

In addition to preventing some unfavorable views of the Eiffel Tower, I think they want that archway to act as a dividing line between the "real" version of Paris and the more cartoony version of Ratatouille. It's a good concept if that's what they're going for, but we'll see.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'd wager that the vast majority of guests visiting the Epcot version will not have seen the version in Paris. If they've even heard of it, I'd wager they couldn't tell you the park it's in. If whatever Disney is doing at Epcot is inferior to the original, they can get away with it.

While correct, I wasn't referring to the common rube visiting Epcot. They aren’t going to know anything. Disney seems to have gone out of their way with this ride to not mention much about it coming over from WDSP. It’s referenced but usually once and then only well into any article written about it (like in a recent ‘Disney Files’ article). 🧐 It’s almost as if they don’t want people to know about the original area...

DCLcruiser

I went to WDSP in 2015, and while Rat was fun, I don't have any overwhelming memories of the "land." Frankly, after spending a few days in Paris and Versailles, the facades aren't as impressive.

Also, I mostly remember that the ride was just like Spider-Man in Uni, which isn't really a good thing. Granted the free-wheeling mouse cars were cool in their own way.

IMG_3453.JPG

Rose&Crown

In addition to preventing some unfavorable views of the Eiffel Tower, I think they want that archway to act as a dividing line between the "real" version of Paris and the more cartoony version of Ratatouille. It's a good concept if that's what they're going for, but we'll see.
That’s an interesting point but with how they did the reveal for GE you’d think they could’ve come up with something better than that giant structure for no reason. Also don’t get the cartoon look at all it’s not needed.
I went to WDSP in 2015, and while Rat was fun, I don't have any overwhelming memories of the "land." Frankly, after spending a few days in Paris and Versailles, the facades aren't as impressive.

Also, I mostly remember that the ride was just like Spider-Man in Uni, which isn't really a good thing. Granted the free-wheeling mouse cars were cool in their own way.

View attachment 492822
I had to refresh my memory with pictures from my trip as well. But once I did I remembered how nice the area was, didn’t feel like “theming” it felt real and normal. Sure you can’t compare it to actual Paris but it’s good none the less and seems much better than what’s behind the structure in the middle here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom