Walt Disney World Park Hours cut starting September 8 2020

Texas84

In my humble opinion, you’re wrong.

So far, everything stated is opinion. There have been no facts to back it up.

Here’s one fact. Today, Florida and Georgia reported record number of deaths.

Since this sub-thread is totally subjective AND off-topic, this is my last post here.
You're wrong about Georgia. They don't report actual date and some of those numbers go back as far as two months.

TTA94

Florida numbers have improved steadily for the past few weeks, they are still a tenth of the deatsh of the NY NJ area, this with more cases. Florida is not fumbling around.

I hope things continue to improve from here on out and there is not another wave or anything. I think as long as everyone continues to wear masks and does not let their guard down we should be good.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney cancelled the re-opening of the Beach Club resort indefinitely now. The Yacht Club side is scheduled to re-open after the NBA leaves. I don’t think they are going to open the feature pool without both BC and YC open considering the high cost to operate. They have a quiet pool on the YC side and a pool in front of the BCV building for guests to use. It sucks, but demand just isn’t there right now to open all the resorts.
@CrimsonPixie So not long after I posted this Disney announced they would open Stormalong Bay when YC Resoft opens Aug 24. Good news for you. It won’t be the last time I’m completely wrong about something :)

legwand77

You had me there for a minute. I thought you were serious at first
Well if facts aren't serious to you then I understand.

This is Florida deaths vs just New Jersey Deaths adjusted for population

Ee08YnnWAAU1e0B

Last edited:

Lilofan

Problem is that Orlando is in Florida. That will be the last state to get COVID19 under control. A Florida sheriff just banned his officers from wearing masks and banned all masks in the sheriff’s office. SMH
That Marion County FL sheriff is an idiot. He even banned locals who enter the police station from wearing a mask. Protect and Serve? That's a laugh😄

joup7

Florida’s leadership has their head in the sand. Trying to pretend covid doesn’t exist so that they can reopen the economy. My school district is the one in the news about trying to defy the executive order. We kinda caved today. It’s a mess.

And this is why Disney doesn’t have the demand it expected and had to reduce hours. back on topic!!!

richiejv

Every day I become more glad that British Airways cancelled my flights to Miami in September. Ignoring the health concerns, it's an expensive old holiday to come over from the UK, particularly with such a reduced product. We're planning on September 2021 when (fingers crossed) things will hopefully be a lot better.

legwand77

With the trend in Florida continuing to improve, demand will pick back up. Orange County positivity rate will most likely drop to below 5 in the next few days. Florida overall has the lowest positivity rate it has had in months and continuing to trend down. All while all theme parks have been open.

Plus all leading indicators like ER CLI visits and admissions are all dropping as well, the trend will continue. Also Covid hospitalizations in Florida are the lowest they have been in over a month.

Jrb1979

With the trend in Florida continuing to improve, demand will pick back up. Orange County positivity rate will most likely drop to below 5 in the next few days. Florida overall has the lowest positivity rate it has had in months and continuing to trend down. All while all theme parks have been open.

Plus all leading indicators like ER CLI visits and admissions are all dropping as well, the trend will continue.
Cases dropping will not change anything. How many times does it have to be spelled out to you, people are out of work and can't afford any vacations. Look at the CM's that aren't back at work yet living off $275 a month. That's just the beginning there will be many more people in that same boat.

Lilofan

Plus all leading indicators like ER CLI visits and admissions are all dropping as well, the trend will continue. Also Covid hospitalizations in Florida are the lowest they have been in over a month.
Demand will not pick back up anytime soon. The economy and many are still struggling.

legwand77

Demand will not pick back up anytime soon. The economy and many are still struggling.
Well the stock market is at or near record all time highs, and large part of the target market for Disney are usually stock holders I wouldn't be to sure about that. However I do agree there are plenty of people suffering.

RSoxNo1

Cases dropping will not change anything. How many times does it have to be spelled out to you, people are out of work and can't afford any vacations. Look at the CM's that aren't back at work yet living off $275 a month. That's just the beginning there will be many more people in that same boat.
Demand will pick up if more people can travel, but it will likely be years before the parks approach 2019's attendance numbers.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well the stock market is at or near record all time highs, and large part of the target market for Disney are usually stock holders I wouldn't be to sure about that. However I do agree there are plenty of people suffering.
Things that are contributing to Disney’s soft attendance numbers (not in any particular order):
  1. Covid cases in FL and nationwide are higher than most people would like leading people to be hesitant to go someplace with large crowds.
  2. Flying is particularly unpopular right now, even with safety precautions.
  3. FL‘s cases are particularly high leading to multiple states in key WDW demographic areas imposing 14 day quarantine restrictions for anyone going to FL. These are statewide restrictions so pointing to Orange County and saying it’s looking good there is irrelevant. Even if the bulk of cases are in Miami that’s still part of FL and the quarantine orders still stand.
  4. Due to Covid WDW has implemented safety procedures including temp checks, physical distancing and masks as well as capacity limits restaurants and even shopping and capacity limits on parks leading to park reservations and the loss of park hopping.
  5. Due to Covid and in an attempt to keep costs down WDW has eliminated: nighttime shows, fireworks, parades, character meet and greets, some restaurants (especially buffets), certain indoor shows, certain rides, EMHs, FP+ reservations and the water parks. They have also cut hours - soon to be down to 8 or 9 hour days depending on the park
  6. Due to mass layoffs and furloughs a lot of people are out of work. Some of those who still have jobs are reluctant to make a large expenditure for a vacation due to economic uncertainty.
So out of all those things the only one that could potentially change in the next 4+ months (or the rest of 2020) is #3 which is based solely on FL keeping the percent positive under 10% and also keeping the new cases per day under 2,100. So far they are nowhere near the 2,100. Outside of that item there’s little chance that people will change their opinions about going to a theme park or flying and there’s little chance that WDW will relax any of their safety restrictions. It’s possible a few additional entertainment options could be added or some hours could be extended again, but compare that to the long list of what is missing and it still doesn’t hold a good value for a lot of people considering all thats been removed and the lack of any significant discounting on park tickets.

Its great that the stock market is up, but that’s not really directly correlated to WDW. Even if someone with large stock investments is doing much better now that doesn’t remove any of the other items listed. There’s still a great deal of economic uncertainty as well. The stock market has built into its valuations a vaccine coming in Q1 of next year. If you look at stocks like DIS who are losing huge amounts of money the valuation is not based on an expected uptick in 2020 but future potential once a vaccine comes out. If no vaccine comes through the market will bottom out again.

You personally are an outlier in your way of thinking. You see any statistic presented and view it as positive which is your prerogative but that’s not how the masses think and Disney needs the masses not just outliers. There are others here on the other extreme as outliers. It’s the bulk of Americans in the middle that matter to Disney. The business thrives on large crowds and surge pricing neither of which are possible right now.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

Things that are contributing to Disney’s soft attendance numbers (not in any particular order):
  1. Covid cases in FL and nationwide are higher than most people would like leading people to be hesitant to go someplace with large crowds.
  2. Flying is particularly unpopular right now, even with safety precautions.
  3. FL‘s cases are particularly high leading to multiple states in key WDW demographic areas imposing 14 day quarantine restrictions for anyone going to FL. These are statewide restrictions so pointing to Orange County and saying it’s looking good there is irrelevant. Even if the bulk of cases are in Miami that’s still part of FL and the quarantine orders still stand.
  4. Due to Covid WDW has implemented safety procedures including temp checks, physical distancing and masks as well as capacity limits restaurants and even shopping and capacity limits on parks leading to park reservations and the loss of park hopping.
  5. Due to Covid and in an attempt to keep costs down WDW has eliminated: nighttime shows, fireworks, parades, character meet and greets, some restaurants (especially buffets), certain indoor shows, certain rides, EMHs, FP+ reservations and the water parks. They have also cut hours - soon to be down to 8 or 9 hour days depending on the park
  6. Due to mass layoffs and furloughs a lot of people are out of work. Some of those who still have jobs are reluctant to make a large expenditure for a vacation due to economic uncertainty.
So out of all those things the only one that could potentially change in the next 4+ months (or the rest of 2020) is #3 which is based solely on FL keeping the percent positive under 10% and also keeping the new cases per day under 2,100. So far they are nowhere near the 2,100. Outside of that item there’s little chance that people will change their opinions about going to a theme park or flying and there’s little chance that WDW will relax any of their safety restrictions. It’s possible a few additional entertainment options could be added or some hours could be extended again, but compare that to the long list of what is missing and it still doesn’t hold a good value for a lot of people considering all thats been removed and the lack of any significant discounting on park tickets.

Its great that the stock market is up, but that’s not really directly correlated to WDW. Even if someone with large stock investments is doing much better now that doesn’t remove any of the other items listed. There’s still a great deal of economic uncertainty as well. The stock market has built into its valuations a vaccine coming in Q1 of next year. If you look at stocks like DIS who are losing huge amounts of money the valuation is not based on an expected uptick in 2020 but future potential once a vaccine comes out. If no vaccine comes through the market will bottom out again.

You personally are an outlier in your way of thinking. You see any statistic presented and view it as positive which is your prerogative but that’s not how the masses think and Disney needs the masses not just outliers. There are others here on the other extreme as outliers. It’s the bulk of Americans in the middle that matter. The business thrives on large crowds and surge pricing neither of which are possible right now.
I personally think #6 will have more to do with demand then anything Covid related at this point. 10000 CM's are on furlough right now and that's just the start. I would bet there is many more out there that are in the same boat across the country.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I personally think #6 will have more to do with demand then anything Covid related at this point. 10000 CM's are on furlough right now and that's just the start. I would bet there is many more out there that are in the same boat across the country.
Longer term the economy is going to be the big driver which is why a lot of people that follow the industry think it will take more than a year to get to pre-Covid levels. In the next 4 months an even larger driver keeping attendance from going from rock bottom to even medium levels is people who have the money to go but no desire due to all the non-economic stuff listed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom