On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Lilofan

Team Disney FL? Can you at least hint how the cast are being notified that are still on furlough (like me)? Phone call? email? certified mail? text? thanks for more anxiety...o_O
Knew some from other companies that were laid off in March. No need to come to the office. Completed with a phone call.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
FYI, layoffs have commenced at WD P&R.

I’m not able to disclose more at this time. But anyone with peeps at Team Disney can find out what’s up.

...woah...you really ARE Michael Eisner 👍🏻
Team Disney FL? Can you at least hint how the cast are being notified that are still on furlough (like me)? Phone call? email? certified mail? text? thanks for more anxiety...o_O

...they should start there

TYOTimer

I decided to play around with the app a little while ago. According to the availability calendar, there is no availability for APs tomorrow. However, if I try to reserve a spot for the Magic Kingdom, it’s letting me. Now, I know that tomorrow is a little bit of a different day with the storm rolling in, but I also wonder if they’re beginning to open things up for AP holders last minute if the demand isn’t there.

it’s been happening a lot lately. Every park but DHS usually has day of reservations able to be made. I’ve made 3 this week alone.

Phil12

What I will say, some smarter ones stay part time on the weekends while working a full time "real" job outside of the parks, and leverage the glorious golden turd that is "The Walt Disney Company" on their resume for a job search in another state later on.
I once hired a young woman in part because her resume stated that she had been a boat skipper on the Tom Sawyer Island boat crossing.

SpaceMountain77

I went to Epcot and Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios when in 2002/2003. They were offering veterans a deep discount to get them and their families in the park. I had many fond memories. Mission Space was brand new and we actually liked it. Disney advertised the heck out of Philharmagic for some reason

In September 2002, we stayed in a garden view, club level room at Disney' Polynesian Resort for $350 per night. At the time, the offerings at the club level lounge were so plentiful and varied that we did not have to eat many meals elsewhere.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What I will say, some smarter ones stay part time on the weekends while working a full time "real" job outside of the parks, and leverage the glorious golden turd that is "The Walt Disney Company" on their resume for a job search in another state later on.
I once hired a young woman in part because her resume stated that she had been a boat skipper on the Tom Sawyer Island boat crossing.
In all seriousness...Disney is vastly more impressive outside their area than in. People that vacation there love to hire people from there. It’s weird but consistent.
It is pretty obvious at this point that if in fact there were layoffs yesterday, it wasn’t among the frontline cast members. That would have been all over social media. If layoffs happened yesterday it was among the management ranks.

Typically management is the first wave. It doesn’t get much pub

UNCgolf

They do NOT want APs descending on those parks. Don’t look for it to change. It doesn’t make financial sense in their market.

This makes sense to me. APs aren't buying tickets or staying in Disney hotel rooms (for the most part), nor are they spending a lot of money on other items in the parks. That means Disney would probably be hemorrhaging money on a day filled up with just APs.

Under normal circumstances that's fine because the parks are fully staffed etc. for regular crowds anyways, but that's not the case right now.

TaylorHound

Plus, there is no real need to layoff someone who is already furloughed. Just avoid the bad PR and say you intend to bring them all back as soon as business improves.
If I had to take a guess the vast majority of these layoffs are going to be corporate, WDI, and potentially management within the parks. Front line shouldn't be hit too bad if hit at all

ParentsOf4

Maybe they’ll take this seriously. A few screencaps from a project I’m working on. Shot by someone not a million miles from here, around two weeks ago, late morning on a nice dry day, in Disney’s new billion dollar flagship land.
Below are some photo's from my son's trip July 19-23 (Sunday to Thursday).

Multiple headliner rides were walk-on. He experienced Flights of Passage 5 times (was even allowed to cut through the FP+ line at one point), Smuggler's Run 5 times, Test Track 3 times, Space Mountain 5 times, Rock n Roller Coaster 5 times, Expedition Everest 5 times. For most, it was a matter of his group simply getting bored with the attraction and deciding to move on.

Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Train was the longest line, followed by Slinky Dog Dash. (This last because it was down for most of the day.)

Crowds were light throughout the trip, with Disney Hollywood Studios feeling the most crowded, by far.

As his photos show, it was possible to encounter moments of modest crowds but also see the parks nearly empty, with many of his contrasting photos taken within an hour of each other.

These give you a sense of what it was like for my son during his weekday trip in mid-July.

Epcot Sunday Evening:

Epcot Sunday night.jpg

Bridge Leaving Pandora Monday Morning:

Bridge to Pandora Midday Monday.jpg

Leaving Animal Kingdom Monday at 5:30 PM:

Leaving Animal Kingdom after 5 PM Monday.jpg

Magic Kingdom Tuesday Opening:

Magic Kingdom Opening Tuesday.jpg

Walkway To Tomorrowland Tuesday Noon:

Walkway to Tomorrowland Noon Tuesday.jpg

Waiting for Rise Of The Resistance Wednesday at 1 PM:

Waiting for Rise of the Resistance Wednesday Midday.jpg

Galaxy's Edge 1 Hour Later:

Galaxy's Edge Midday Wednesday.jpg

Disney's Hollywood Studios Wednesday Afternoon:

Disney Hollywood Studios Wednesday Afternoon.jpg

One of the more crowded images of Disney's Hollywood Studios:

One of the more crowded scenes at DHS.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom