The Red Button Option

Nubs70

That red option button may have to be pushed.
Extrapolating from DIS 2019 10k, it takes about $1.7B a month to run Parks and Experiences. $DIS got some form of liquidity infusion to the tune of $6B. Yes, parks have closed with many laid off. I really suspect $DIS, as a whole, has burned through a great deal of that liquidity. $DIS may be rapidly approaching the point of tapping into the muscle of "cash reserves". That will be bad.

Nubs70

I would argue anywhere right now with a 2HR plus wait is doing well right now, considering.
Considering that restaurants are socially distanced at 50% capacity or less. The reason for a 2 hr wait is the throughput is cut in half. The restaurant will only be able to serve 50% of pre covid customers.

Castmbr

Absolutely nothing is “packed”...the reports of this in wdw is a fantasyland.

It’s about raw/mass revenue to make profits. You can’t generate mass without the masses.

If there was a device that capture pictures that was readily available in peoples hands, this could be settled on how busy Springs really is. 😂

More data from the rumor mill , Springs is ~75% below normal levels and there is major strain on high rents that the retailers are paying for that space. International and resort traffic is the bread and butter for springs. But those numbers are going the right directions slowly. This issue is that rev per guest has plummeted as well so more guest still does not translate to good rev numbers.

Last edited:

Lilofan

If there was a device that capture pictures that was readily available in peoples hands, this could be settled on how busy Springs really is. 😂

More data from the rumor mill , Springs is ~75% below normal levels and there is major strain on high rents that the retailers are paying for that space. International and resort traffic is the bread and butter for springs. But those numbers are going the right directions slowly. This issue is that rev per guest has plummeted as well so more guest still does not translate to good rev numbers.
I've visited International Drive where where many tourists and convention guests stay, play and dine. This area too must be heavily impacted. One part of I-Drive is where most international tourists stay ( UK, Brazil, Argentina etc ). The other part is higher end hotels, dining and the huge Orange County Convention Center. With international traffic and convention events almost non existent, this area is surely in a lot of trouble.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

It’s been awhile since someone mentioned the only number they really care about...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've visited International Drive where where many tourists and convention guests stay, play and dine. This area too must be heavily impacted. One part of I-Drive is where most international tourists stay ( UK, Brazil, Argentina etc ). The other part is higher end hotels, dining and the huge Orange County Convention Center. With international traffic and convention events almost non existent, this area is surely in a lot of trouble.
I saw a picture of Idrive the other day...

1595505886306.jpeg

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Disney Springs has actually been doing rather well in recent weeks. They are seeing continual gains each week, particularly through late June and July. They are of course slow on weekday lunch, and that has always been the case. General feeling is they are doing better than expected.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney Springs has actually been doing rather well in recent weeks. They are seeing continual gains each week, particularly through late June and July. They are of course slow on weekday lunch, and that has always been the case. General feeling is they are doing better than expected.
My “gut” tells me that they are both:
1. Doing better than expected
2. Not doing nearly well enough to avoid big problems in a few months.

I “kinda” get how Disney thinks...at least in the ballpark...and instinct says that a quick ramp up/control of the virus and resumption of travel was integral to their reopening strategy.

Piebald

I wonder if these are the same people that have a Brier Rabbit plush on ebay for $96.
I really hope they know that it is going to be a few years before Splash Mountain gets it make over (if ever).
Doesnt matter. A lot of those items have a lot of bids. It isnt an issue of "eh let's see what I can fetch with this item", they have real bids. Happy meal toys are going for $20!

Piebald

I went to I drive to meet a friend for dinner on March 12. I remember that day specifically because I was told I was not to come back into the office and essentially that weekend is when $*it hit the fan with Tom Hanks getting covid and NBA abruptly cancelling their season.

It was pretty dead then and I havent driven by in months but other than people going to get tested for covid, I have to imagine it's a ghost town.

Lilofan

I went to I drive to meet a friend for dinner on March 12. I remember that day specifically because I was told I was not to come back into the office and essentially that weekend is when $*it hit the fan with Tom Hanks getting covid and NBA abruptly cancelling their season.

It was pretty dead then and I havent driven by in months but other than people going to get tested for covid, I have to imagine it's a ghost town.
In that area of International Drive /Orlando is the world's biggest McDonald's at 19,000 square feet. It's very popular with many who visit.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Extrapolating from DIS 2019 10k, it takes about $1.7B a month to run Parks and Experiences. $DIS got some form of liquidity infusion to the tune of $6B. Yes, parks have closed with many laid off. I really suspect $DIS, as a whole, has burned through a great deal of that liquidity. $DIS may be rapidly approaching the point of tapping into the muscle of "cash reserves". That will be bad.

You're forgetting that hte $1.7B/mo are the expenses occurred with a full staff and all attractions running. Expenses during the shutdown and even now are considerably less.

Also, they put a halt on all the capex expenditures (and only recently started to spend to restart the nearly completed projects).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom