Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanfze55

my favorite ride has changed -> social media has officially ruined society

whew

I’m rarely an extremist, but yes. This is just one example.

The issue is that Disney isn’t changing this ride because it’s unpopular, outdated, or bad... they’re changing a pinnacle of Imagineering art in order to appease a handful of SJWs who’ve never accomplished a damn thing in their life.

michmousefan

Matterhorn at DL is the oldest tubular steel rollercoaster in the world and other than receiving some minor updates has remained largely the same.

Other rollercoasters around the world are older than either DL or WDW and still operate.

Some things don't need to be replaced.
The Matterhorn could be *vastly* improved with new steel track, slight (more banking, etc) improvements to the track layout, and more comfortable ride vehicles. But it would be a huge expense to pull off, and until Disney gets a slew more complaints about how rough the ride is, they won't bother.

Chip Chipperson

I've never been to Disneyland so I can't say how well the re-theme fits the ride's location there, but it makes no sense in Orlando's Frontierland. It just reeks of lazy, condescending, pandering. I don't care that they're taking away the current theme, but why not give Tiana her own new attraction in Fantasyland where it makes sense? If space isn't available for that, how about something in the American Pavillion in Epcot? As the plans stand now, you'll go from the river and Tom Sawyer Island past Big Thunder Mountain to get to a ride that's supposed to take place in the "frontier" of 1920s Louisiana. The era and geography make no sense and Disney is now "honoring" their first Black princess by giving her an attraction that's just a new overlay on an existing ride. But at least the Twitter mob will be placated, I guess.

Club Cooloholic

In general though, as soon as I heard the news I was excited to see how this “Boomtown” of a forum reacted, or rather, spazzed.
Lord its too funny. Can you think of a bigger example of privlege (and I don't mean white, I mean economic) than your big issue of the day being a ride being rethemed? I get it stinks for some people, but it's an elaborate log flume, do we need the anger and disgust?

jaklgreen

As a boy mom, I wish it was a more neutral theme. There is a lot of princesses in the parks and at dining locations. I’m not complaining, but maybe something that would appeal to both boys and girls. I understand why Disney is doing this, but they could have chosen another classic that is lacking attention in the parks. Maybe Pinocchio? Bambi? Oh well, hopefully my son will still want to ride it.

I don't understand this stance. Why can't your boy ride something with a princess? Girls go on Pirates, Astro Orbiter, Buzz, etc, etc all considered "boy" things. We tell our daughters that they can like whatever they want regardless of what society wants to label them. Why can't you do that with your sons?

duder

I wonder if Tokyo's version will stay as is.

It is the best version of the ride and would help lessen the blow of the other two going away.

Cinderella was forced into domestic slavery, Belle was kept in captivity by a beast, don’t even get me started on the Animal rights violations with Dumbo! Disney have already re-written history with the change of role of the Redhead in Pirates, now they are eliminating history by getting rid of a much loved ride!

Personally, I think that Hall of Presidents is the most offensive - only one black man, no women and no representation of the LGBT community. Given Disney’s propensity to re-write and eliminate history, surely this should be next??

Supreme Leader

Splash Mnt. didn't fit thematically in Frontierland anyway. They should be replacing it with a version of the Western River Expedition and a facelift to the façade to better match the nearby Thunder Mnt. Just my 2 cents. :)

The_Jobu

Lord its too funny. Can you think of a bigger example of privlege (and I don't mean white, I mean economic) than your big issue of the day being a ride being rethemed? I get it stinks for some people, but it's an elaborate log flume, do we need the anger and disgust?

Do we need to have a discussion about one of the most popular rides in Disney in a Disney World discussion forum?

I'm leaning towards yes, but I'm crazy.

lebeau

There are other ways to mitigate bad press... also they could use the money they are NOW planning to spend on this re-theming and use it for films, education, and other causes that support positive culture change. Changing the theme of this ride will not win the hearts of millions... it will just open the company up to more targets of manufactured outrage and the new theme makeover will not boost attendance.
What rides would benefit from a change... Imagination for one.

Why "manufactured outrage"?

Can you (and others) not accept that some people legitimately find the ride offensive?

Just because you're not offended by something doesn't mean it isn't offensive.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
100% in favor of this. Perfect for Disneyland. I don't like the theme for Frontierland, but hopefully they'll make it work.
RIP Frontierland
So how does PatF fit into the theming of Frontierland?
Curious how it'll fit in to Frontierland at WDW 🤔. Hope the area retheme is high effort!
This will fit better in Disneyland (I think their ride borders New Orleans Square? Or is at least close to it?), but it really doesn’t fit in Frontierland at all, unless they rename the land.
Yeah it fits perfectly in Disneyland. Frontierland, not so much. I can see a re-theme of the entire land, personally.
I’m disappointed but the artwork actually really nice so we’ll see. Disneyland is fine but I don’t see how it fits in Frontierland at Magic Kingdom. If successful, just maybe, they’ll bring it to Disneyland Paris.

At the MK, "Frontierland" is a mess. It mixes "The South" with "The Frontier." Yes, at one time "The South" was the frontier, but, two hundred years earlier.

How did a ride based on Song of the South fit with "The Frontier"?

And how does a ride based on New Orleans not fit in with the Mississippi Riverboat and Tom Sawyer right next door? Neither of those are "The Frontier."

I know some don't think Princess and the Frog is a thematic fit in Frontierland.. but it's no less of a fit than Song of the South was.

Thank you.

aladdin2007

This one stings. Splash Mountain is possibly my favorite ride in the world. I was okay with the changes to Pirates, because at least the ride still existed.

Social media has officially ruined society. The loudest 1% of people ruining everything. Mob mentality.

Will I ever return to a Disney Park? Nope, not WDW. I may give DL another try, as the new ride will fit well within New Orleans Square. But the ride still has to be good. If this ends up being “Watch a screen while you ride in a flume,” I’m done for good.

This would be my main concern, I bet a lot of the physical scenes go byebye and replaced with a screen or much of nothing. You can be it wont be half as populated with animatronics like it is now....they will find a way to budget this to bare basics. I think them stating Tony Baxter being on board is just a way to appease fans and nothing more. Will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom