Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

The two hardest hit areas in the midwest are Detroit metro and Chicago metro - that is where most of this is happening.

DeWine said that Ohio has pushed off our peak until Mid April...and we’re hoping to keep pushing it back. I just don’t know what that means for businesses. Will the hospitals be ready by that time, which will mean we can all get back to work?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We can’t wait to get on a plane. Assuming we can.

(aircraft air contrary to popular belief is very clean. It’s the surfaces you have to be careful about)
I hear that. It’s more a psychological thing than an actual risk. Post 9/11 one of the safest places to be with all the heightened security was on an airplane. It will take many people a little while to feel comfortable.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Totally off topic— since my husband is a cast member we have always wanted to do a Disney Cruise but we don’t know how to utilize the discount or the cheapest time to book. Assuming he has a job at the end of all of this we’d love to book one eventually. Any advice? We know the discount is good but we’ve heard you have to pay upfront and can only be booked a few weeks out?

Cruise Lines generally offer several types of employee reduced rate offers. It varies by cruise line, so it is best to check with Disney. Generally there is a confirmed space fare at a discounted rate and a "standby" rate, where the employee would put themselves on a list.

In some cases some cruise lines prioritize the list based on seniority (meaning you could be number 1 on the list and a week out somebody with more tenure puts themselves on the list and you drop to #2). Other cruise lines do it first come first serve. The downside here is you may get confirmed literally 3 days before the sailing dependent on ship occupancy. But it is at a significant discount.

I don't know Disney's policy about whether or not / or what type of rate structure is afforded to WDW employees vs DCL employees. So, again, it's best to check directly with them.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
That is quite low compared to the early models. Shelter in place is working.
100,000 would be the equivalent of about 2-3 years of influenza deaths in the US.
Or it is about 8 times the amount of H1N1 deaths in 2009 in the US.

I see that as positive news.
It’s also 50x the current numbers.

rowrbazzle

100,000 would be the equivalent of about 2-3 years of influenza deaths in the US.

There are currently 33,000 deaths in the entire world, 2,300 in the US. 100-200,000 in the US alone is a gigantic increase. Over what timeline? That still doesn't sound positive to me.

seascape

We can’t wait to get on a plane. Assuming we can.

(aircraft air contrary to popular belief is very clean. It’s the surfaces you have to be careful about)
When flying, bring sanitizing wipes. Wipe the tv, table, arm rests and head rest. Make sure to sanitize your hands too everytime you get up and return to your seat. Without ever thinking about it everyone touches the aisle seats. At the end of this pandemic we should all be more careful about the spread of diseases.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
On the topic of summer crowds, in the poll Steve did on the main page about 35% of respondents said they would return either right away, within a month or within 3 months after opening. We are the biggest bunch of Disney fans around but almost 2/3 still don‘t think they would return within 3 months which covers the summer. I think that says a lot about the potential crowds.

Lilofan

A little positive news in the same area of a current and grime outlook.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don't know. I'm not so sure shelter in place is doing anything other than making the deaths a garden hose filling a pool vs. a fire hose where they both get to the same result just one takes longer..
That’s what shelter in place, as you call it, is for.

The cases will come now no matter what. Sheltering is an attempt to slow the cases to a steady flow so the health system can cope, as opposed to an overwhelming deluge that would have happened with minimal or no reactions.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
When flying, bring sanitizing wipes. Wipe the tv, table, arm rests and head rest. Make sure to sanitize your hands too everytime you get up and return to your seat. Without ever thinking about it everyone touches the aisle seats. At the end of this pandemic we should all be more careful about the spread of diseases.
I’d like to think us, as a race, will be more cleanliness aware. Not over the top paranoid, but more mindful.

This has to be a lesson for humanity.

Lilofan

I don't know. I'm not so sure shelter in place is doing anything other than making the deaths a garden hose filling a pool vs. a fire hose where they both get to the same result just one takes longer.

Looking at Italy, they have been on national lockdown for almost 3 weeks and although the growth rate of cases has slowed, there is no real sign that they are getting to the other side of the curve. South Korea took 2 weeks to go through the entire "hump" in the curve.
National lock down in Italy slowed the growth rates, that's right, but can one imagine if the country didn't decide to go in full lockdown?

21stamps

On the topic of summer crowds, in the poll Steve did on the main page about 35% of respondents said they would return either right away, within a month or within 3 months after opening. We are the biggest bunch of Disney fans around but almost 2/3 still don‘t think they would return within 3 months which covers the summer. I think that says a lot about the potential crowds.

I wonder if summer has anything to do with that. Rescheduling is going to be tricky for my parents for a few reasons-
1. They hate Orlando in the summer, when they do vacation in Florida during summer it’s beach vacay only.
2. Their grandkids have other vacations already planned with their own parents. I have one planned in late June (though up in the air now). My sister has one planned in July, no way they will cancel that one.
3. Our kids start sports seasons again in August.. after missing so much of spring soccer, we don’t really want them to miss any of the fall season.

Also, the spring sports are so up in the air right now... no one knows if seasons will be extended, which could put them to late June.

So they have to find weeks that work for everyone. I wonder if many other families are thinking the same about their kids or just not a fan of Disney during the summer months.

Lilofan

This makes my family and I rethink the saying " be aware of your surroundings". It's a new way of thinking and leading our lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom