Musicals (Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Others)

eliza61nyc

Loved "Ain't to proud to beg". Of course the music was phenomenal but it gave a great inside view of the demons these guys faced. always amazes me that some of the most talented people out there are so self destructive.
the singers who portrayed the temps were great. the ladies who were cast as Diana ross and the supremes were not as strong.

BuddyThomas

A few Broadway Corona virus casualties (there are many others - these are just some highlights):

This was supposed to have its opening night on Broadway tonight. SIX - about the six wives of Henry the Eighth, presented as a pop concert.

THE MINUTES was supposed to open Sunday, now postponed:

COMPANY was scheduled to open March 22, now postponed:

THE INHERITANCE was unable to complete its run - all upcoming performances cancelled.

FLYING OVER SUNSET, DIANA (which doesn't have a trailer), HANGMEN (transferring from an off-Broadway run), WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF (also no trailer) and MRS. DOUBTFIRE all just starting previews, and all performances postponed.

This is the Mrs. Doubtfire trailer. It didn't do a preview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZULq-cT4Iw

Neither did Hangmen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDNYb7sP8rg

Now off-Broadway has closed almost all shows too. This is going to be a bloodbath, not to mention all the Times Square restaurants and businesses that are going to suffer.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A few Broadway Corona virus casualties (there are many others - these are just some highlights):

Welp, they can use this sign...

1584077892481.png

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Well, the theatre company I’m doing Rock of Ages with (opens next week 😱😱) is doing Something Rotten! in May and Hunchback of Notre Dame in the fall. Pretty dang excited about these shows.
Update- Show was moved to May 15-17. We hope. We still need to get the rights re-approved by the licensing company. So fingers crossed on that front.

Yesterday was rough. I was comforting crying cast members in the theatre, then all of us went out and drank (minus the minors). The director runs a costume shop for local communities, and with so many productions being outright cancelled, he might go out of business.

Luckily, the theatre will not be charging us for renting the space for this past week.

Please remember to patron your local businesses over the next couple of weeks, and see a community show when one opens near you.

artvandelay

This was supposed to have its opening night on Broadway tonight. SIX - about the six wives of Henry the Eighth, presented as a pop concert.

THE MINUTES was supposed to open Sunday, now postponed:

THE INHERITANCE was unable to complete its run - all upcoming performances cancelled.

FLYING OVER SUNSET, DIANA (which doesn't have a trailer), HANGMEN (transferring from an off-Broadway run), WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF (also no trailer) and MRS. DOUBTFIRE all just starting previews, and all performances postponed.

This is the Mrs. Doubtfire trailer. It didn't do a preview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZULq-cT4Iw

Neither did Hangmen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDNYb7sP8rg

Now off-Broadway has closed almost all shows too. This is going to be a bloodbath, not to mention all the Times Square restaurants and businesses that are going to suffer.

Also, Plaza Suite was set to start previews and Sing Street had cast on stage yesterday.

This is going to take a long time to recover from. The boom that’s been going on since the mid 90’s is probably over. The chain restaurants and hotels will be ok, but the small delis that rely on actors, musicians and stagehands buying coffee and sandwiches are in big trouble.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
BroadwayHD is offering a free week trial right now.

Watched Joseph and Sweeney Todd last night.

there are also like 7 Nunsense musicals, if that’s what you’re into

Thanks for the heads up, but, for me, the choices are too limited. I was expecting hundreds and hundreds of musicals, especially many revival versions. You think at this time, Broadway, the business, would be making these things available.

And Cathy Rigby? What? Are Mary Martin, Sandy Duncan, and Mary Lou Retton chopped liver?

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Thanks for the heads up, but, for me, the choices are too limited. I was expecting hundreds and hundreds of musicals, especially many revival versions. You think at this time, Broadway, the business, would be making these things available.

And Cathy Rigby? What? Are Mary Martin, Sandy Duncan, and Mary Lou Retton chopped liver?
I agree that the choices are limited, which makes this one week trial pretty ideal for me. I’m watching Falsettos now, thinking about Oklahoma (Hugh Jackman version!) and She Loves Me tomorrow.

I’m sure this won’t happen, but it would be great for shows like Chicago, Wicked, and Mamma Mia to be added while all of the theaters are closed.
I’ve been Dan Goggin’s agent for the past 20 years. He’s the author of the Nunsense musicals. 😉
Oh I’m not knocking Nunsense, I saw the first show performed several years ago! I just had zero idea that there were seven of them lol

BuddyThomas

In case any Broadway fans are going stir crazy like me, these mini concerts are really fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom