Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rimmit

It was more than the previous day and more organized. Monday it was just a huddle of people but today everyone already had their shopping carts ready like it was the Indy 500 and were reving their engines waiting for the sliding doors to open at 6 am.

Clearly they have not been reading the blogs like Toilet Tourist Blog, Inside the Toilet, Toilet Magic, Toilet Touring Plans, or Toilet Explorer. No self respected TP blogger would recommend using a shopping cart. It just slows you down.

Overlordkitty

Don't disagree with any of that - the disease will overwhelm our medical facilities in the short term and more than likely cause every issue you raise.

That being said, what is our appetite for both economic devastation and panic to slightly or
even moderately improve those situations?

Is it worth shutting down society, causing panic so that grocery stores are overwhelmed, and people are fighting over toilet paper? For the market to lose trillions of value, for hundreds of thousands if not millions to lose their jobs and financial stability?

Is all of that worth it so that hospitals are not temporarily overwhelmed and there isn't some collateral loss of lives due to lack of care?

Again, all "abundance of caution" has a price. We should be openly and clearly debating that price and what we are getting for it.

Couldn't overwhelming the healthcare system also trigger this same economic event? There are a number of hospital systems that are for profit, and have shareholders. I would think images, or even just stories, of patients dying in the hallways without proper medical equipment would trigger economic panic.

Then you also have non-clinical positions in the hospital that are still operating to ensure the clinical can do their job: cleaning, food service, maintenance, if the isolation areas are overwhelmed, there's a good chance that they are unable to contain the virus, both clinical and non-clinical employees are at risk. And there are a lot of employees, both clinical and no, that work second jobs to make ends meet. If the economy is still operating in full, they are then going to those second jobs because they have to, and possibly carrying the virus with them.

There's really good answers, but I think in the situation that we have now, we will minimize a greater catastrophe, both medical and economic from happening.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Couldn't overwhelming the healthcare system also trigger this same economic event? There are a number of hospital systems that are for profit, and have shareholders. I would think images, or even just stories, of patients dying in the hallways without proper medical equipment would trigger economic panic.

Then you also have non-clinical positions in the hospital that are still operating to ensure the clinical can do their job: cleaning, food service, maintenance, if the isolation areas are overwhelmed, there's a good chance that they are unable to contain the virus, both clinical and non-clinical employees are at risk. And there are a lot of employees, both clinical and no, that work second jobs to make ends meet. If the economy is still operating in full, they are then going to those second jobs because they have to, and possibly carrying the virus with them.

There's really good answers, but I think in the situation that we have now, we will minimize a greater catastrophe, both medical and economic from happening.
The panic was happening no matter what, you nailed it. Hopefully, these steps shorten the panic. Make it a shorter recovery. Save us from ourselves as it were.

Overlordkitty

There is a petition by Colorado residents to their governor to suspend rent and mortgage payments for the next 2 months. This idea could be catching on in the immediate future when people experience layoffs and/or financial hardship.
I saw one floating around by Michigan residents as well. I think because we are in a situation that everyone is in the same boat, there may be more and faster stimulus from the government. In the last crash, different regions were impacted differently, and so it was much more difficult to get some of the stimulus through. Everyone's constituent is impacted now.

Lilofan

Mayor DeBlasio have this morning on TV gave a real dark assessment on the pandemic affecting his city, NYC. Based on consultation with experts, the pandemic city shutdown could last past the summer into September. Does anyone have emergency funds to last into September?

tallica

Mayor DeBlasio have this morning on TV gave a real dark assessment on the pandemic affecting his city, NYC. Based on consultation with experts, the pandemic city shutdown could last past the summer into September. Does anyone have emergency funds to last into September?
The one-Percenters and a few frugal peasants!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The conversation really comes down to what is the cost of each level of "abundance of caution". Abundance of caution isn't free. There is a trade-off that is not being considered, as in the current hysteria it is simply if it is MORE abundance of caution therefore it is inherently right and good. Back to our cars analogy - if the absolute goal was to eliminate auto deaths you could build all cars like tanks, make speed limits 25 max everywhere, or actually ban cars.

Each one of those strategies is more and more abundance of caution. But we have decided as a society that the 40,000+ deaths (nearly entirely preventable if you pursue those policies) are an acceptable trade off to the convenience to our lives and economic benefit.

What's missing in this hysteria and spiraling reaction is that analysis. Simplifying for conversation - is it worth $100 billion of market value to save 1,000 lives? 10,000 lives? How many lives is it worth to have the market down 50%, hundreds of thousands of unemployed, and the US in a recession for years? 100,000 lives? One million lives?

Again, no right answer, but that is the conversation we're having without having it - abundance of caution isn't free so we shouldn't pretend it is.

" is it worth $100 billion of market value to save 1,000 lives?". This sort of thing makes a fine academic discussion, but even if we could decide on a number it doesn't really help us because we don't actually know the correlation between the safety measures and lives saved. We aren't making the choice of, 100 billion for 1000 lives, we are saying 100 billion for 1000 lives, or maybe 10,0000, maybe 100,000 or maybe 10,000,0000. We just don't have enough data at this point to make those sorts of decisions even if we wanted to.

DisneyDebRob

1584447604252.jpeg

Trying to keep things in perspective the last few days but this got to me this morning. I really think the “ had to cancel my vacation, I’m so upset” and “ I need toilet paper “people is way down the list of things that matter.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I think it's totally okay people are disappointed that they cannot go to these things that they've been looking forward to. How much energy on these boards goes into looking forward to and planning Disney vacations?

I mean, yes, keep it in perspective, but also allow people to feel their feelings about things they were looking forward to that can no longer happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom