News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

Mickeyboof

Why? This is nothing new. We already knew the land was a canvas to incorporate future SW stories. The idea that it will never change or evolve is just goofy hate talk.

What’s goofy is that the decades old Star Tours is more cannon and refreshed, relevant and current than the billion dollar flagship land.

It is like if an H&M in Missouri got a new line of summer clothes, but the flagship store in New York City kept peddling winter clothes.

Although, the goofiest thing is this, published some mere weeks before the land opened: "The demand from the public to go to Disneyland, in particular, for the next couples of months, this summer, and beyond, is huge," Iger said”

Mickeyboof

Margaret Kerrison, Managing Story Editor, Walt Disney Imagineering

“I think grown men are going to cry. I think people are going to fall to their knees and start kissing the ground. All these things sound like an exaggeration, but I feel like it’s going to happen. There’s just so much anticipation and excitement for this. When we first started working on Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, I remember thinking: I want to walk into this land and be on the same level as everyone else – from the really hardcore Star Wars fan, to someone who knows nothing about Star Wars. I want to have that urgency to explore and to discover, and to run around every corner and to meet every single droid and alien in this land. I can’t wait to see that!”

I can’t wait to see that either, Margaret.

I’m patiently waiting.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
What’s goofy is that the decades old Star Tours is more cannon and refreshed, relevant and current than the billion dollar flagship land.

l don’t know about “more cannon” but the new sequence for Star Tours was probably in the pipeline for a while. The inevitable update to Smugglers will hopefully not take as long.

TP2000

Guests shouldn’t worry about this, says Doug Chiang, Lucasfilm vice president and executive creative director.

“Galaxy’s Edge is supposed to be set after Episode 8, before 9, but we’re also making it so that it’s very common so that it can fit within the whole Star Wars universe,” Chiang says. “We wanted to deliberately keep it very ambiguous.”

"We knew that this was going to be a flexible stage for future storytelling, so what you see on opening day might not necessarily be what you’ll see in the near future," says Margaret Kerrison, Managing Story Editor for Walt Disney Imagineering. "So we have a lot of new stories coming in from Star Wars, with new films opening and new animated series and new books, all kinds of multimedia storytelling - all of that is going to be incorporated into our land."

“Trowbridge's remark that the evolution of Galaxy’s Edge isn’t over makes sense, since there’s much from the Star Wars universe that Disney can use. For example, the movie franchise istelf has new characters and storylines to tap into, and all the new Star Wars TV series launching on Disney's new streaming service, Disney+, will provide even more content for Imagineers to use.”

“The events that happen here in Black Spire Outpost are true in the world of "Star Wars." They're not isolated from the rest of "Star Wars" storytelling. The things that happen here are true throughout this entire kind of canon of "Star Wars" storytelling”

“This trading port is really a stepping off point for all kinds of new stories and we have so many stories we want to tell. That's one of the great things about "Star Wars," there will never be an end to the number of "Star Wars" stories that we can tell.”

...should I go on?

I have to get this off my chest, and I mean no disrespect to my friends here who may be able to tell a Sith from a Darth.

Blabber like this from brand managers like Ms. Kerrison or Glendale execs like Mr. Trowbridge just make my eyes glaze over.

The moment someone says the word "trilogy" I tune out. I'm a proud American, I remember seeing Star Wars at the Cinerama theater in downtown Seattle in the summer of '77 (I even remember who I saw it with; my old friends Penny and Roger, the son and daughter-in-law of then Illinois Senator Charles Percy, and I remember we crashed in the lobby of the Westin down the street while we waited for our showtime, it was that memorable of an evening 43 years later).

I skipped seeing the movies that came out in the 1990's, although I'm vaguely familiar with Jar-Jar Binks. I saw the big revival movie back during Christmas 2015, and it was sad that they killed off Han Solo and made Chewbacca cry. Also, Luke Skywalker looked like a hobo who lives under the freeway. I still love R2D2 and Chewbacca, and I love Disneyland.

But that's all the energy I have to invest in this. If Disneyland spends a Billion dollars, and reroutes the Rivers of America and the Disneyland Railroad, to build a Star Wars Land it had better blow my socks off. And it kind of didn't.

No hashing and re-hashing of which trilogy and which storyline and which year I am experiencing when I walk into Star Wars Land is going to fix that. And I'm not going to spend time doing homework on which trilogy is which. And if you try and make me do that homework my eyes instantly glaze over and I wander away from you.

I can't be the only Disneyland visitor who feels this way. I would bet two churros I'm actually in the majority of that demographic. Star Wars Land at Disneyland; it just needs to be fun and easy and not expect me to pass a pop quiz on which Sith is which or if the Mandelorian is a senior citizen by the time Vi Moradi, Presented by Clairol wanders by.

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I have to get this off my chest, and I mean no disrespect to my friends here who may be able to tell a Sith from a Darth.

Blabber like this from brand managers like Ms. Kerrison or Glendale execs like Mr. Trowbridge just make my eyes glaze over.

The moment someone says the word "trilogy" I tune out. I'm a proud American, I remember seeing Star Wars at the Cinerama theater in downtown Seattle in the summer of '77 (I even remember who I saw it with; my old friends Penny and Roger, the son and daughter-in-law of then Illinois Senator Charles Percy, and I remember we crashed in the lobby of the Westin down the street while we waited for our showtime, it was that memorable of an evening 43 years later).

I skipped seeing the movies that came out in the 1990's, although I'm vaguely familiar with Jar-Jar Binks. I saw the big revival movie back during Christmas 2015, and it was sad that they killed off Han Solo and made Chewbacca cry. Also, Luke Skywalker looked like a hobo who lives under the freeway. I still love R2D2 and Chewbacca, and I love Disneyland.

But that's all the energy I have to invest in this. If Disneyland spends a Billion dollars to build a Star Wars Land it had better blow my socks off. And it kind of didn't.

No hashing and re-hashing of which trilogy and which storyline and which year I am experiencing when I walk into Star Wars Land is going to fix that. And I'm not going to spend time doing homework on which trilogy is which. And if you try and make me do that homework my eyes instantly glaze over and I wander away from you.

I can't be the only Disneyland visitor who feels this way. I would bet two churros I'm actually in the majority of that demographic. Star Wars Land at Disneyland; it just needs to be fun and easy and not expect me to pass a pop quiz on which Sith is which or if the Mandelorian is a senior citizen by the time Vi Moradi, Presented by Clairol wanders by.
With my tutelage you would ace that pop quiz though

Mickeyboof

l don’t know about “more cannon” but the new sequence for Star Tours was probably in the pipeline for a while. The inevitable update to Smugglers will hopefully not take as long.

The scenes directly place you into cannon moments, that feel like they’re absolutely current. I think the Star Tours ship is even featured tiny tiny in the movie during the big act three battle (?).

There wasn’t even an attempt to feel like this land was a living place. The opening crawl of the final film reads: “The dead speak! The galaxy has heard a mysterious broadcast, a threat of REVENGE in the sinister voice of the late EMPEROR PALPATINE.”

....so why, with the dozens of “radio” transmitting speaker towers that we “hack” which produce a dull and deflating “beep boop,” didn’t we hear this mysterious broadcast in the land? Such a simple thing to do!

For a company that strives on Synergy, Disney has absolutely no clue how to execute it in any meaningful way.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
The scenes directly place you into cannon moments, that feel like they’re absolutely current. I think the Star Tours ship is even featured tiny tiny in the movie during the big act three battle (?).

There wasn’t even an attempt to feel like this land was a living place. The opening crawl of the final film reads: “The dead speak! The galaxy has heard a mysterious broadcast, a threat of REVENGE in the sinister voice of the late EMPEROR PALPATINE.”

....so why, with the dozens of “radio” transmitting speaker towers that we “hack” which produce a dull and deflating “beep boop,” didn’t we hear this mysterious broadcast in the land? Such a simple thing to do!

For a company that strives on Synergy, Disney has absolutely no clue how to execute it in any meaningful way.

So have you submitted an application to WDI yet?

RobWDW1971

Margaret Kerrison, Managing Story Editor, Walt Disney Imagineering

“I think grown men are going to cry. I think people are going to fall to their knees and start kissing the ground. All these things sound like an exaggeration, but I feel like it’s going to happen. There’s just so much anticipation and excitement for this. When we first started working on Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, I remember thinking: I want to walk into this land and be on the same level as everyone else – from the really hardcore Star Wars fan, to someone who knows nothing about Star Wars. I want to have that urgency to explore and to discover, and to run around every corner and to meet every single droid and alien in this land. I can’t wait to see that!”

I can’t wait to see that either, Margaret.

I’m patiently waiting.
Boy, that sounds great! When does that land open?!

Curious Constance

Grown men will cry? People will fall to their knees and kiss the ground?? Gross. That’s just Disney thinking their IP is enough to save the world again. Hire a statistician Disney, most people don’t give two flying F’s about your precious IP. And as more and more people go to DL to experience this once in a life time experience, they’re basically saying “Eh, it was okay” because no matter how cutting edge something is, no matter how much money you pour into it, no matter how amazing it looks, if it’s not fun, people lose interest fast.

truecoat

Grown men will cry? People will fall to their knees and kiss the ground?? Gross. That’s just Disney thinking their IP is enough to save the world again. Hire a statistician Disney, most people don’t give two flying F’s about your precious IP. And as more and more people go to DL to experience this once in a life time experience, they’re basically saying “Eh, it was okay” because no matter how cutting edge something is, no matter how much money you pour into it, no matter how amazing it looks, if it’s not fun, people lose interest fast.

Maybe if you walked through Yodas house on Dagobah or through the cloud city? Maybe a cold rebel base on Hoth on my way to fight against the Empire. I don’t know what this place is except they parked the Falcon on it.

ProjectXBlog

It was only one person. And it can't be any worse than uncapitalized first person singular pronouns or sentences. Or worse... sentences without final punctuation.
there’s a difference between misspelling words and writing in AP style on a disney message board but thanks for trying
Were you the *always* the line leader back in elementary?
lol good one

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom