Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Casper Gutman

No system is perfectly fair. From the previous BG debate used for RotR...
Lines fluctuate during the day if you don’t go to great lengths to prevent that - which Disney has. And huge lines are a sign of bad, bad park design - SWL needed a bunch of high capacity people eaters, MMRR plus GMR, and new live shows, and that has been obvious for YEARS.

TTA94

Not to start this debate but one solution is paid FPS. I’m sure it’s coming either way and only a matter of time. The only way I can see it working is if 1. The “free” option remains as is and 2. For the paid option the price will need to be steep to keep from selling out each day and allowing those willing to pay the opportunity to ride the new attractions at any time of the day you want and last minute. The question is how much would the FPS need to be to keep from selling out each day? But yet not a completely absurd and unaffordable amount? The issue is many guests, especially those on once in a lifetime vacations, will gladly pay a large amount to get on the new attractions. 🤷‍♂️

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not to start this debate but one solution is paid FPS. I’m sure it’s coming either way and only a matter of time. The only way I can see it working is if 1. The “free” option remains as is and 2. For the paid option the price will need to be steep to keep from selling out each day and allowing those willing to pay the opportunity to ride the new attractions at any time of the day you want and last minute. The question is how much would the FPS need to be to keep from selling out each day? But yet not a completely absurd and unaffordable amount? The issue is many guests, especially those on once in a lifetime vacations, will gladly pay a large amount to get on the new attractions. 🤷‍♂️

And what if you have more people willing to pay than the ride can handle? Have it become an auction?

Casper Gutman

And what if you have more people willing to pay than the ride can handle? Have it become an auction?
As I’ve said before, if FP must exist, eliminate the free version and make the paid level expensive enough that it’s a Golden-Oaks-level luxury. Disney gets a big upcharge but the impact on most guests is minimal.

peter11435

And if Disney doesn’t want people waiting in a six-hour line? Extend park hours to 1 or 2. Or increase capacity any way possible, with loads of street entertainment until new people-eating attractions can be opened.

This is a massive mess, and every inch of it is WDWs fault. And they have no interest in fixing it.
Extending the park hours won’t reduce the length of the line. It will increase the number of guests who get to rise but it will do nothing to reduce or eliminate that 6 hour line. Increasing capacity around the park with other entertaining or even new attractions will do nothing to reduce the number of people who want to ride Rise of the Resistance.

Casper Gutman

Extending the park hours won’t reduce the length of the line. It will increase the number of guests who get to rise but it will do nothing to reduce or eliminate that 6 hour line. Increasing capacity around the park with other entertaining or even new attractions will do nothing to reduce the number of people who want to ride Rise of the Resistance.
Letting more people ride the big new attraction is kind of the point. Putting that aside, longer hours will spread the crowd over a longer period, which would likely reduce lines overall. Without the artificial leveling of fast pass, it will also allow more time for the line length to fluctuate, allowing those who don’t want to wait in the longest line of the day a chance to line up at times when the line would be shorter, such as during fireworks, parades, or near closing time.

More attractions, particularly if they are the kind of SW-themed people-eaters that should have been built, would take some of the attention and crowd pressure off of Rise - this was the initial plan with MMRR, after all.

Most importantly, if people have to physically wait in line for attractions, other areas - and other lines - become less crowded.

DisneyCane

Letting more people ride the big new attraction is kind of the point. Putting that aside, longer hours will spread the crowd over a longer period, which would likely reduce lines overall. Without the artificial leveling of fast pass, it will also allow more time for the line length to fluctuate, allowing those who don’t want to wait in the longest line of the day a chance to line up at times when the line would be shorter, such as during fireworks, parades, or near closing time.

More attractions, particularly if they are the kind of SW-themed people-eaters that should have been built, would take some of the attention and crowd pressure off of Rise - this was the initial plan with MMRR, after all.

Most importantly, if people have to physically wait in line for attractions, other areas - and other lines - become less crowded.

Agree about physical waits making some rides less crowded. However, that problem "could" be solved with a lot more C/D tickets added and only having FP on E tickets.

For example, at MK, before FP the lines for both SMs would be very long but there were plenty of rides that had under 30 minute waits BECAUSE so many people were on line for the E tickets. If you virtual queue the E tickets then more people will be on the other lines.

If you invest in having 50% more C/Ds and only have virtual queues on the Es you get the best of both worlds. When they added SDMT, had they kept Scary Adventure but without FP, it would have led to overall better guest experience.

Now, the root of the problem is E tickets without enough capacity for everyone in attendance on a given day that wants to ride to physically be able to. Someone could plan a trip specifically to ride ROTR and not be guaranteed to able to unless they get to the park at 5AM which isn't exactly what I'd consider a vacation.

The real solution is much higher capacity rides or raise prices enough to actually reduce attendance. Like double the admission cost. If they go to a paid FP or a big benefit to staying at premium resorts they would effectively be doing that anyway. People staying at a value resort and only paying the base price will either not get to ride anything popular or spend the whole day on line to ride 3 attractions.

In my opinion it would be better to really raise prices to the point that it will lower attendance at least 30% so that everyone who pays to enter can ride everything with reasonable waits.

Of course, while lowering attendance at higher prices would be good for the parks (profit and guest experience), it would be bad for resort revenue and leasing rates at Disney Springs etc.

JustInTime

Cars Land (without RSR as we know it) would’ve helped, but that’s a moot point since we got TSL instead. Indy Land - for want of a better name - would have had an E. But I dare say even more would have been needed. Tangled replacing Mermaid was one option earlier in the last decade. They still had the troublesome Monster and Superstar theatres, which although troublesome could have been turned into huge potential with the right concept. And of course MMRR could have added capacity to the park had it been executed to its full potential.

Maybe they should have dusted off the Movieland and Rogers plans too. Add more physical space.
Is mermaid staying around for the foreseeable future? It’s so dated 😂

peter11435

This would be true if extending hours would allow capacity to meet demand. But it wouldn’t. The attraction would still only be able to physically handle half of the guests wishing to ride. You would also now be complicating operations by not providing adequate time for overnight maintenance.

Additinal attractions are great and very much needed. However it would do nothing to reduce the number of people wishing to ride Rise. Which is and would continue to be significantly higher than the number of guests the ride can actually accommodate.

When March rolls around DHS will be a better park with RR. But guests aren’t going ride RR and be satisfied that they didn’t ride Rise. They will want to do them both.

Jones14

I don't disagree that the ride is too short, but what's there isn't underbuilt from a layers of detail standpoint. I would look at something like Frozen Ever After as being underbuilt intra scene.
And yet, I’d argue Frozen Ever After is a more successful and engaging attraction. All the detail in the world can’t save you if there’s not also good pacing and solid storytelling to go along with it.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I said somewhere who enters the park at 6:59 has an equal chance. This isn’t that hard. As long as you are in the park before 7 you have an equal opportunity.
What isn't hard is distinguishing between "arrival" and "tap-in," events which can be several minutes apart.

You didn't say "enters the park"... you said "gets their." People have to "get their" early enough to tram in from their car, clear security and tap in before 7:00 am. Someone reading your post might misconstrue you to mean it's OK to "get their" (meaning arrival in parking) at 6:59 and still get a good boarding group despite the 20 or so minutes it takes to get to the tapstiles.

Moral of the story:
You can't parse other peoples' posts to the Nth degree and then get all bent out of shape when someone does it to you.

RSoxNo1

And yet, I’d argue Frozen Ever After is a more successful and engaging attraction. All the detail in the world can’t save you if there’s not also good pacing and solid storytelling to go along with it.
How much of that is familiarity though? Don't get me wrong, there are some great things in Frozen Ever After, but for me Na'vi River Journey is a more impressive attraction.

peter11435

What isn't hard is distinguishing between "arrival" and "tap-in," events which can be several minutes apart.

You didn't say "enters the park"... you said "gets their." People have to "get their" early enough to tram in from their car, clear security and tap in before 7:00 am. Someone reading your post might misconstrue you to mean it's OK to "get their" (meaning arrival in parking) at 6:59 and still get a good boarding group despite the 20 or so minutes it takes to get to the tapstiles.

Moral of the story:
You can't parse other peoples' posts to the Nth degree and then get all bent out of shape when someone does it to you.
If you look back to my first post on the subject I clearly said “in the park.” I thought I made it clear in all of the posts that you needed to be in the park before 7. I understand the difference between getting to the park and entering the park. You don’t need to arrive an hour early to be in the park by 7.

For the record the last time I rode Rise I parked my car at 6:35 walked to the entrance, went through security, and was in the park at 6:47. received boarding group 15.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Moral of the story:

No the moral is don’t jump in mid stream and try to nitpick without context. Because if you read the actual conversation flow... you’d see

You don’t need to be in the park at 6. Just in before 7
You need to be in the park when it opens, no earlier. Everyone in the park at 7am has equal opportunity regardless of arrival time

You are taking things out of context and ignoring what had already been part of the discussion

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom