DisneySea at Walt Disney World?!?

Would you like DisneySea as a 5th Theme Park coming to Walt Disney World?

• Total voters

No Name

Nice looking, very fleshed out and great..........

.......but Disney Sea is not a good park

Sign me up as perplexed

It’s a case of strong initial investment to compensate for a lack of strong thematic concept.

It’s a very nice-looking park with a lot to do, but essentially anything would fit so long as they make it look kind of classy, adventurous, and “detailed,” and of course, tie it into S.E.A. ! 😞 Whereas theme parks Epcot, DHS, and DAK have defining themes, not just aesthetics and references. Tokyo DisneySea is fine for a second gate next to Tokyo Disneyland. But the thematic concept should be stronger for a fifth gate in WDW, because the concern is that guests will tire out after four and not extend their vacations.

justintheharris

I fail to understand how everyone goes gaga for how unique Tokyo DisneySea is and are begging for that one superior element to be stripped from it by bringing it to Disney World.

I don't even think the park is that unique!! Tower of Terror is still Tower of Terror (yea yea different story big deal), Toy Story Mania is Toy Story Mania, Soarin' is Soarin', Indiana Jones is Indiana Jones. The only things I felt were truly unique were the architecture, Aquatopia and 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. Even Journey To The Center of the Earth, while a great ride, does not dazzle me. Too much the ride takes place in silence looking at pretty things (Na'vi River Journey) followed by a climax that's way too short. It's not bad at all but it's not AMAZING.

HongKongFooy

I don't even think the park is that unique!!

Some noteworthy unique attributes:

It changes an appreciable elevation......the only one out of the 12 Disney park chain (Sorry, I can't give you Animal Kingdom as in essence it is still quite a flat park)

The facades and architecture is the grandest/tallest/largest. OLC commissioned those buildings big.

It has an active volcano with real fire and bellowing making it the single most magnificent feature in the entire chain, I say.

It is the only one with a hotel, Mira Costa, INSIDE the park, an amazing feature for those staying there, ........not even Grand Californian nor Paris DL Hotel can claim that.

Disney Sea is unique.

Stevie Amsterdam

It’s a case of strong initial investment to compensate for a lack of strong thematic concept.

It’s a very nice-looking park with a lot to do, but essentially anything would fit so long as they make it look kind of classy, adventurous, and “detailed,” and of course, tie it into S.E.A. ! 😞 Whereas theme parks Epcot, DHS, and DAK have defining themes, not just aesthetics and references. Tokyo DisneySea is fine for a second gate next to Tokyo Disneyland. But the thematic concept should be stronger for a fifth gate in WDW, because the concern is that guests will tire out after four and not extend their vacations.
To imply that DisneySea doesn´t have a theme (or themes) is a bit much. It's about adventure and exploration and not 'just' aesthetics. I don't see Sinbad's attraction as classy or detailed but rather unique (story wise I mean) and absolutely fitting the theme of both the park and the particular area.

justintheharris

Some noteworthy unique attributes:

It changes an appreciable elevation......the only one out of the 12 Disney park chain (Sorry, I can't give you Animal Kingdom as in essence it is still quite a flat park)

The facades and architecture is the grandest/tallest/largest. OLC commissioned those buildings big.

It has an active volcano with real fire and bellowing making it the single most magnificent feature in the entire chain, I say.

It is the only one with a hotel, Mira Costa, INSIDE the park, an amazing feature for those staying there, ........not even Grand Californian nor Paris DL Hotel can claim that.

Disney Sea is unique.
You added literally nothing to my perspective. Why would I care about a hotel in the park? Or the park's elevation? And I already stated the architecture which, to me, includes the volcano. This is one of the biggest grasp at straws defenses I've ever seen. You might as well have told me "maybe you should consider that the park has pink toilet paper! No other park has that!"

Phil12

I only have one word for a new fifth gate at WDW: Stitchland!
1578085045734.png

No Name

To imply that DisneySea doesn´t have a theme (or themes) is a bit much. It's about adventure and exploration and not 'just' aesthetics. I don't see Sinbad's attraction as classy or detailed but rather unique (story wise I mean) and absolutely fitting the theme of both the park and the particular area.

Adventure is the industry’s newest buzzword for whatever. Any modern attraction is adventure. They’ve got a Toy Story Mania clone, Nemo simulator, Little Mermaid area, Flying Carpets clone, maybe even a Frozen ride... sounds like the Bobs’ wet dream. ToT, Raging Spirits, Sinbad, etc. are hardly better in this regard. My question for you is, what couldn’t fit in DisneySea?

No Name

Are you surprised that a park called DisneySea would feature The Little Mermaid?

I figured someone would say this.

In that case, I’m surprised that it would feature Toy Story. I’m surprised it has Soarin’, Tower of Terror, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Magic Carpets, etc. Point being if the Little Mermaid fits because of the park’s pun name, how do these listed examples fit?

Animaniac93-98

I figured someone would say this.

In that case, I’m surprised that it would feature Toy Story. I’m surprised it has Soarin’, Tower of Terror, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Magic Carpets, etc. Point being if the Little Mermaid fits because of the park’s pun name, how do these listed examples fit?

Little Mermaid fits because the experience is about sea exploration. You go underwater and visit her Kingdom. It and 20,000 Leagues were the best IP fits which is why they were there on opening day.

Magic Carpets is a minor attraction in an area based on Arabian myths. It's not a great ride, but it fits Arabian Coast.

Journey is rewritten to take place in Volcania and be another exploration by Captain Nemo, a character not found in the original book.

Tower of Terror had its story line changed to be about a greedy explorer who met his demise stealing an ancient cultural artifact. It does not take place in Hollywood or feature The Twilight Zone. New York fits DisneySea because it's a coastal city that was once the main port of both immigrants arriving to the US and wealthy elites sailing across the Atlantic. It's exotic from a Japanese perspective.

Soarin' in another attraction that had its storyline and setting changed. Unfortunately, the ride itself was not changed to reflect this. It should have been a period piece about flying over the Mediterranean

Toy Story is a bad fit. You won't get any arguments from me.

Last edited:

HongKongFooy

Disney would spend 2.5 billion, 3 tops, on a new skeleton park producing another 1/3 baked experience. 5.5 billion is the new threshold budget to build something worthy of spending a full day.

And to pull that stunt on a Disney Sea park would be criminal.

Last edited:

Robbiem

I love disneysea but I think it needs to be built on the coast as befits the nautical theme a different version would make a great second gate for Hong Kong.

what i would love to see would be a Disneysea quality park with a different overarching theme - how about a myths and legends park with areas themed to places like ancient greece, samurai japan, renaissance europe, victorian London, ancient Africa and comic book legends if it was done right it would be amazing

TPSou

I think if Disney ever made a 5th gate it would need to cater to a different audience to make sense to them. If they had a teen-focused park, maybe like the often-dreamt-of Villains park with some thrill rides in that could encourage families with kids who are both too old and young to enjoy the 'magic' of disney.

I agree that Disneysea is just too similar to make sense as a 5th gate in Florida.

Also speaking as someone who is maybe just a bit spoilt, I quite like there being differences between the parks. I like LA's Californian Adventure, Paris's Space Mountain and Tokyo's Disneysea, haven't done Chinese parks yet but it's nice that they have unique attractions too.

Mickey5150

If Disney ever did bring DisneySea to the states they should either build it at their new private cruise ship launch on the Florida Coast. Build a theme park/cruise line/hotel resort. Add a high speed rail line from the new Disney train station to easily connect the 2 areas. Then splash some water on your face and wake up.

lazyboy97o

If Disney ever did bring DisneySea to the states they should either build it at their new private cruise ship launch on the Florida Coast. Build a theme park/cruise line/hotel resort. Add a high speed rail line from the new Disney train station to easily connect the 2 areas. Then splash some water on your face and wake up.
DisneySea was originally conceived of as a part of Port Disney in Long Beach, a complex with a theme park, cruise terminals and hotels right on the water.

SteamboatJoe

I've never been to DisneySea. Looks really cool and I think there are concepts and components that could be utilized from it, particularly the fine attention to detail and the little things that have slowly been stripped away at WDW, but I would still prefer something original if they even do something. Marvel would seem like a no-brainer (rights issues aside) but I don't like the idea of an entire park built around one property. It would lack diversity for the masses and would not be flexible enough to adjust to future market changes. A limited boutique offering along the lines of Discovery Cove seems a lot more likely that a large, general admission park.

Phil12

Are you surprised that a park called DisneySea would feature The Little Mermaid?
Yes. After all, the little mermaid hates the water. She'll do most anything (including consorting with disreputable creatures) to be free of the sea and walking on land and getting sunburned on the beach. Plus she has a real affection for her "snarffblat" so I suspect that she's into illicit substances as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom