News Flight of Passage Fire?

Victor Kelly

Aux cooling issue.,. Overheat.. not a fire... no threat of fire.
So it is a system design issue.

We used to have an opposite issue early in paintball. If you shot too much your co2 would cool down too far, whixh dropped air pressure, making it hard or impossie to shoot. Or in the summer our bottle would vapor lock and jam when taking them off because of a buildup in pressure. This was resolved in the 90s with the advancement of high pressure air or HPA.

Perhaps this issue will be resolved in the future. I wonder what exactly is over heating. Drive motors, electrical, computer? An under rated part somewhere?

JoeCamel

So it is a system design issue.

We used to have an opposite issue early in paintball. If you shot too much your co2 would cool down too far, whixh dropped air pressure, making it hard or impossie to shoot. Or in the summer our bottle would vapor lock and jam when taking them off because of a buildup in pressure. This was resolved in the 90s with the advancement of high pressure air or HPA.

Perhaps this issue will be resolved in the future. I wonder what exactly is over heating. Drive motors, electrical, computer? An under rated part somewhere?
Projectors

Mickeyboof

I’m never going to complain about sensitive safety measures.

It’s quite scary to be trapped in a machine that’s designed to not let you out. It would take some pretty brave people to get us out in the even of an actual fire.

It’s actually my biggest fear on Forbidden Journey. I hope its flame treated quite often.

lazyboy97o

I’m never going to complain about sensitive safety measures.

It’s quite scary to be trapped in a machine that’s designed to not let you out. It would take some pretty brave people to get us out in the even of an actual fire.

It’s actually my biggest fear on Forbidden Journey. I hope its flame treated quite often.
Overly sensitive systems can be a safety issue themselves, especially in the context of a ride where the alarms may trigger an E-stop. Too many people react to a ride stoppage by trying to free themselves from the ride vehicle. In the context of something like Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey that would be a nasty fall. At a lot of attractions the fire alarm sounding is actually slightly delayed to allow the alarm to be confirmed or cancelled. There are also proposed changes to NFPA 101 that would allow more unique scenarios for rides such as allowing a ride to stay in show mode and cycle riders out. That may sound crazy at first, but again thinking about Forbidden Journey, keeping all of the riders calm and getting them through the ride would take about a four minutes, faster than it would typically take for the fire department to even arrive to manually evacuate ride vehicles stopped in a burning building.

peter11435

Overly sensitive systems can be a safety issue themselves, especially in the context of a ride where the alarms may trigger an E-stop. Too many people react to a ride stoppage by trying to free themselves from the ride vehicle. In the context of something like Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey that would be a nasty fall. At a lot of attractions the fire alarm sounding is actually slightly delayed to allow the alarm to be confirmed or cancelled. There are also proposed changes to NFPA 101 that would allow more unique scenarios for rides such as allowing a ride to stay in show mode and cycle riders out. That may sound crazy at first, but again thinking about Forbidden Journey, keeping all of the riders calm and getting them through the ride would take about a four minutes, faster than it would typically take for the fire department to even arrive to manually evacuate ride vehicles stopped in a burning building.
Many attractions at WDW can already be cycled out in show mode in the event of a fire alarm. Sometimes not under show conditioned but still cycling to get the guests off.

twilight mitsuk

T ain’t no place safer ‘cept perhaps hogwarts

lazyboy97o

Many attractions at WDW can already be cycled out in show mode in the event of a fire alarm. Sometimes not under show conditioned but still cycling to get the guests off.
Many of these unique operations are all individual variances allowed on a case-by-case basis by the Reedy Creek Fire Department. The Orlando Fire Department also allows similar variances to Universal Orlando Resort. The proposed changes to NFPA 101 would codify many of these variances into the model fire code, making them a base standard instead of an exception not just in Florida but other jurisdictions where NFPA 101 is used.

Mickeyboof

Right, and I definitely appreciate all the varied concerns regarding show stops and overly sensitive sensors.

Whether or not the alarm sounds, and how it’s delt with, the basic system monitoring should be extremely sensitive and accurate. If an item is overheating and the show is stopped/ evacuated, it shouldn’t be see as a negative by anyone here on the boards. The ROUTE to evacuation can be weighed, but the simple event shouldn’t be seen as negative.

Even on Broadway shows, we have fire detectors under the stage deck and temperature monitoring lots of mechanical components. We’ve had truly scary moments where items have overheated.

It’s absolutely fascinating, ride safety. I would love to hear from anyone who is familiar with Forbidden Journey, what are the different evacuation procedures.

Victor Kelly

When I did security a fire or smoke alarm would sound in our security station. Same if the water system monitoring sprinklers was activated. We would dispatch officers to the location to verify before 911 was called or evacuation was ordered by the officer in charge or witnessing officer. We would also use cameras to see what was going on. Our managers would test us unannounced to gauge our reaction time and how we performed.

I have to believe Disney's is similar. But they evac at the first alarm call instead, which is commendable and how it should be done. Safety first. And I also remember that for a while they would keep the ride going to get people off. Perhaps a show cancel protocol that shuts the show features down but keeps the system moving in a quicker mode.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom