News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

jt04

I didn't say the ride should be an E-ticket. I said it should be better than a carousel. Your comment underscores why. We already have a carousel at WDW. To install a second is lazy and unimaginative, two things Walt would not approve of.

IF it is a Carousel perhaps you should consider you are not the target audience. Also, only the Studios doesn't have a boat ride but nobody is upset they exist beyond the Jungle Cruise or IaSW.

jt04

He also didn't intend for that carousel to anchor Fantasyland as it's only attraction....
He also installed popcorn carts but that doesn't mean a popcorn cart is a viable replacement for an attraction either...

I am hopeful whatever is being added is only a first phase and eventually the pavilion will follow the example of the France pavilion.

KimAnnFran

I think this is moot, but since when is EPCOT supposed to be about storybook themes? I mean, I thought EPCOT was about futuristic things, prototypes of tomorrow, etc? How are the Disney stories getting mixed in here?

And the original World Showcase was really amazing, it really gave you the feel of being in that country you were visiting....now in the middle of Norway, there's Frozen. IT's a bit jarring. What lead to this decision, or is it just the obvious $$$ and merchandising?

mikejs78

Premium Member
Walt installed a Carousel. He never designed every attraction as an E ticket.
He also didn't intend for that carousel to anchor Fantasyland as it's only attraction....
He also installed popcorn carts but that doesn't mean a popcorn cart is a viable replacement for an attraction either...

Walt actually did consider the carousel to be the anchor of Fantasyland, and considered it a critical part of Disneyland. Notice it's placement - it's the first thing you see when you enter Fantasyland via the castle - the centerpiece. He considered the inclusion of the carousel to be critically important for his theme park (probably going back to his daughter's love for them).

I too would prefer a dark ride, but I don't have issue for an imaginative carousel with special effects that make it a different experience than a typical carousel. To say Walt wouldn't do this is rather presumptuous and possibly not true, given his affinity for carousels.

Mike S

Walt actually did consider the carousel to be the anchor of Fantasyland, and considered it a critical part of Disneyland. Notice it's placement - it's the first thing you see when you enter Fantasyland via the castle - the centerpiece. He considered the inclusion of the carousel to be critically important for his theme park (probably going back to his daughter's love for them).

I too would prefer a dark ride, but I don't have issue for an imaginative carousel with special effects that make it a different experience than a typical carousel. To say Walt wouldn't do this is rather presumptuous and possibly not true, given his affinity for carousels.
Disneyland was also built in the 50s and Walt was a guy about constantly moving forward with technology. No one really knows what he’d be like today and what he’d do but perhaps he would’ve felt carousels were old hat. Maybe.

Movielover

Disneyland was also built in the 50s and Walt was a guy about constantly moving forward with technology. No one really knows what he’d be like today and what he’d do but perhaps he would’ve felt carousels were old hat. Maybe.

Honestly with all his attention and devotion to E.P.C.O.T. he might not have even been interested in the theme park industry afterwards. After all he had already done Disneyland and was moving on to bigger things. While yes he would have updated Disneyland I doubt it would have been his main focus.

Mike S

Honestly with all his attention and devotion to E.P.C.O.T. he might not have even been interested in the theme park industry afterwards. After all he had already done Disneyland and was moving on to bigger things. While yes he would have updated Disneyland I doubt it would have been his main focus.
It wasn’t. He actually only wanted to build the city at first until he was told another theme park would be a good idea by investors I think it was. Even then it was just going to be an exact clone of Disneyland. His attention was elsewhere.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Honestly that's insane for a simple ride, building and a facade... I know Disney spends a ton of wasted money, but I honestly can't figure out where it all goes!
Imagineers. Someone's got to pay for all those Imagineers who sit around and think up innovative rides like carousels surrounded by screens in buildings with Victorian facades.

MrHappy

EPCOT is dead. This is the new regimes new IPCOT.
Total respect. But I'm starting to think the IPCOT, while accurate, and EPCOT is dead, also accurate, from what it seems the new IP infused EPCOT is not Islands of Adventure. There are themes that attempt to pay a degree of homage to the base ideals of EPCOT. Sure theres no more dancing veggies, but at least there will be rats playing with them ;)

Epcot82Guy

Total respect. But I'm starting to think the IPCOT, while accurate, and EPCOT is dead, also accurate, from what it seems the new IP infused EPCOT is not Islands of Adventure. There are themes that attempt to pay a degree of homage to the base ideals of EPCOT. Sure theres no more dancing veggies, but at least there will be rats playing with them ;)

I'm interested to see how you think that? EPCOT, at it's goofed level, was always about displaying the cultures of the world and innovations of mankind. The pavilions were representations if that. Not just settings. How do the new additions not confuse and change that story?

ToTBellHop

I'm interested to see how you think that? EPCOT, at it's goofed level, was always about displaying the cultures of the world and innovations of mankind. The pavilions were representations if that. Not just settings. How do the new additions not confuse and change that story?
I don’t personally mind what’s coming to World Showcase. Fun attractions can work alongside pavilions showcasing individuals, cultures, food, merchandise, and architectural stylings from other countries. It’s Future World that I object to, but even that is only partially being wrecked. I can handle PLAY. It serves a purpose. The loss of UoE to a coaster that belongs in DHS along with the loss of FoN sting, but on the latter point, I reserve judgment til I see the new spine. FoN looked AWFUL in August. It’s better to see it gone than in that state. SSE keeps its theme, as do Test Track, an improved MS pavilion due to Space 220, Seas, Land, and probably imagination.

I don’t personally think it’s as dire as some feel, but some are still reeling from the death of ‘80s Epcot, which happened decades ago. In the very least, I expect to enjoy 2022 Epcot more than 2019 Epcot. That’s something.

Admiral01

Premium Member
The loss of UoE to become the queue, the freaking queue, for a roller coaster will never stop stinging. Pointless loss. The majority of the coaster itself isn’t even in the original UoE building. They could have built a queue and load area anywhere on that side of the park and not destroyed a unique attraction for a glorified waiting room.

Compound that with the coaster being in the wrong park and it stings more.

Epcot82Guy

I don’t personally mind what’s coming to World Showcase. Fun attractions c
an work alongside pavilions showcasing individuals, cultures, food, merchandise, and architectural stylings from other countries. It’s Future World that I object to, but even that is only partially being wrecked. I can handle PLAY. It serves a purpose. The loss of UoE to a coaster that belongs in DHS along with the loss of FoN sting, but on the latter point, I reserve judgment til I see the new spine. FoN looked AWFUL in August. It’s better to see it gone than in that state. SSE keeps its theme, as do Test Track, an improved MS pavilion due to Space 220, Seas, Land, and probably imagination.

I don’t personally think it’s as dire as some feel, but some are still reeling from the death of ‘80s Epcot, which happened decades ago. In the very least, I expect to enjoy 2022 Epcot more than 2019 Epcot. That’s something.

I totally see this point. My issue is the overarching story. I don't know what World Showcase's overarching story/theme is. As I've said, it's the laziness of storytelling with these attractions that's most upsetting. The WS attractions are attractions about the IP. They aren't attractions about the country hosted by the IP. That's what upsets me most. And, I think Guardians is the biggest offender of this. The story for World Discovery is hodgepodge and weak at best. While I loved original EPCOT Center A LOT, I see where the broad based appeal may be lacking. But, I don't see why the themes of original EPCOT Center have to be thrown out if we want to insert characters. I don't think Remy would be any less popular if it was focused on something like Remy teaching you French culinary techniques vs. it being about Remy himself. In Epcot, it should be a France-focused attraction that features Remy vs. a ride focused on Remy and his story. At least in my view. That type of approach would be something I could totally get behind as a compromise designed to make as many people happy as possible.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The loss of UoE to become the queue, the freaking queue, for a roller coaster will never stop stinging. Pointless loss. The majority of the coaster itself isn’t even in the original UoE building. They could have built a queue and load area anywhere on that side of the park and not destroyed a unique attraction for a glorified waiting room.

Compound that with the coaster being in the wrong park and it stings more.

The UoE is more than just switchbacks. It will contain, I believe, two preshows with AAs and projections that will far outstrip what was previously there (barely working dinosaurs and a missing Ellen and giant TVs with a giant TV show). It will also be the load/unload for the coaster whose take-off should be a bit of a mini-show in itself. All the while, being a Xandarian educational exhibit about the formation of the galaxy.

It also won't try to stoop to bad science by shoehorning dinosaurs into an energy exhibit "because they're cool" when they were originally there from a previous version of the exhibit to sell people on the coolness of Big Oil that used the bad science claim that oil comes from dinosaurs (something which science had know for a hundred years).

fradz

It will have customized horses and seats, it will have to have a ridiculous level of redundant safety features, then there is show programming, music recording, writing, and production, If screens hold true, there will be animation to be done, writers and an army of technicians... I honestly understand how the prices get so high...I was just hoping for more than a carousel...
Unbelievable how you guys are ok with this and do mental gymnastics to justify such price tags...
This costs 35M€ and has intricate theming, expensive trackless technology, a rooftop full of solar panels and all the other things you list. Oh, and it's not a basic flat ride:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom