News The 'Disney Look' to be further relaxed at Walt Disney World

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
That all? I'm not trying to be mean, but there's a serious issue with way overweight CMs, and kind of breaks your narrative. It says a lot about the working poor and how that affects their health and appearance. I think being worried about stubble and beards and necklaces are the least of their concerns.
Obese people can still look professional, my friend. I have NO idea what you are trying to argue.

lazyboy97o

This guy is far from the director. I'd say production designer is a fitting title... but yes I get your point even though the whole "CAST" member thing is a farce.
If it is a farce then why not just do away with the costumes and dress code? That would be a far more meaningful change in terms of keeping with current trends, allowing personal expression and attracting labor.

_caleb

I’m pretty sure the change in policy is related to ongoing religious discrimination claims. You may remember the case back in 2013 when a Sikh employee successfully challenged the Disney Look policy regarding his beard and turban:

Sikhs also do not cut their hair or trim their beards, and wear bracelets called “Kara.”

Disney’s effort to relate to and reflect a more diverse audience is not new. Consider the diversity seen on the Disney channel and in films. From a PR and customer service perspective, it makes sense that Disney would want Cast Members at the parks to retain their cultures.

Ariel1986

Also, I'd rather not have a disheveled bearded dude preparing and handling my food. Standards should apply to this new guideline, imo

Oh the humanity!

46673C06-3E1A-431F-AE7F-38AABD156923.jpeg

If only those Michelin Star judges had known who was really in the kitchen...

lazyboy97o

Taking it to the extreme vs a small freedom.
The “extreme” actually addresses the issues that are supposedly behind this change. The small freedom of adding jewelry and other accessories that are now allowed directly contradicts the whole point of the costume. How many accessories and personal items should be allowed? Why is one bracelet okay but not two? It’s just two little things.

Lilofan

I’m pretty sure the change in policy is related to ongoing religious discrimination claims. You may remember the case back in 2013 when a Sikh employee successfully challenged the Disney Look policy regarding his beard and turban:

Sikhs also do not cut their hair or trim their beards, and wear bracelets called “Kara.”

Disney’s effort to relate to and reflect a more diverse audience is not new. Consider the diversity seen on the Disney channel and in films. From a PR and customer service perspective, it makes sense that Disney would want Cast Members at the parks to retain their cultures.
Thanks for sharing. Not only staff retain their cultures and beliefs but guests also. I came across two guests praying on little carpets at the end of Streets of America at DHS in a corner by the bushes.

Mouse Trap

Choosing CM's based on sex or race, which the person has no control over, is a lot different the choosing a CM based on whether they want to wear their own jewelry or not.

So you would be ok with the Haunted Mansion CMs wearing pink rubber breast cancer awareness braclets?

Never mentioned anything about CM's race/sex. I said appearance which includes varying factors for each time period including facial hair, shoes, glasses, watches, socks, etc... Which either do not or hardly change depending on which area of the park. If maintaining a "show" or "movie" appearance was a serious concern than Disney would adjust these based off of location.

And yes, totally okay with a Haunted Mansion CM wearing a bracelet of any color.

bubbles1812

Choosing CM's based on sex or race, which the person has no control over, is a lot different the choosing a CM based on whether they want to wear their own jewelry or not.

So you would be ok with the Haunted Mansion CMs wearing pink rubber breast cancer awareness braclets?

Honestly? Yeah, Id probably be ok with it because the truth is... I probably wouldn’t even notice it. I’m not one to typically scrutinize CMs that closely. Now if they had two bracelets pinned over their nipples? Ok, sure. But a pink bracelet isn’t going to ruin it for me. And it’s unlikely that the majority of CMs wouldn’t wear anything like that. It’ll mostly be subtle stuff, the way most people wear subtle stuff. The smiling robots get to feel a bit more human. Good for them.

It’s also not like management won’t be able to say something isn’t appropriate either. The same way ‘bosses’ are able to enforce the dress code in stores... and restaurants... and you know, everywhere.

This just seems like a whole lot of hullabaloo for nothin.’ But I’m a millennial and we wreck everything, so what do I know? ;)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Never mentioned anything about CM's race/sex. I said appearance which includes varying factors for each time period including facial hair, shoes, glasses, watches, socks, etc... Which either do not or hardly change depending on which area of the park. If maintaining a "show" or "movie" appearance was a serious concern than Disney would adjust these based off of location.

And yes, totally okay with a Haunted Mansion CM wearing a bracelet of any color.

So would you be ok if Disney got rid of costumes all together and everyone wore a generic uniform?

Mouse Trap

The “extreme” actually addresses the issues that are supposedly behind this change. The small freedom of adding jewelry and other accessories that are now allowed directly contradicts the whole point of the costume. How many accessories and personal items should be allowed? Why is one bracelet okay but not two? It’s just two little things.

Most of these costumes don't accurately represent the time period/era/location they're working in. Should we ban non-slip shoes because those don't exist in the jungle or wild west? Should we ban the makeup CM's can wear too because perhaps it didn't exist then either? Those eyeglass frames and socks don't match the era either! There's no point in a costume if they are allowed to wear these things!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Honestly? Yeah, Id probably be ok with it because the truth is... I probably wouldn’t even notice it. I’m not one to typically scrutinize CMs that closely. Now if they had two bracelets pinned over their nipples? Ok, sure. But a pink bracelet isn’t going to ruin it for me. And it’s unlikely that the majority of CMs wouldn’t wear anything like that. It’ll mostly be subtle stuff, the way most people wear subtle stuff. The smiling robots get to feel a bit more human. Good for them.

It’s also not like management won’t be able to say something isn’t appropriate either. The same way ‘bosses’ are able to enforce the dress code in stores... and restaurants... and you know, everywhere.

This just seems like a whole lot of hullabaloo for nothin.’ But I’m a millennial and we wreck everything, so what do I know? ;)

The idea that the details don't matter has become more and more prevalent on this message board over the years. It's really sad because that is exactly what Disney management wants, people to not care about the details so they can save money by cutting them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom