News Tomorrowland love

Flynnwriter

I hope Space Mountain gets rebuilt soon, it's much needed. If not then I hope they atleast turn the music up inside the ride since you can't even hear it anymore and I kinda like it :oops:
That sign... I want to give it a chance, and I especially want to wait for how its lit up at night, but man it has no soul or character to it at all. All this signage does is further embrace that Tomorrowland will be in a perpetual identity crisis more specifically a juxtaposition between the retro minimalist approach and the sleek, clean and modern variant of cyberpunk that is known as Tron Legacy. No matter what will happen to the land, Tron will be the odd duck of it all, but outside of that area, the only area that has in my opinion only yet barely embraced a Tron Legacy-esque look was the paint job and Hexagonal signage on CoP.

But that being said, it screams to me that they went as plain as possible to cut any costs as possible, and that's where it gives the feeling of no character. That will be an element that people will forget about easily. Whilst the older signage and theme is more in the vein of 1950-1970s age of the Atompunk, this forthcoming and slowly taking over theme isn't. Its feels more and more that that they are going for a sanitized cassette futurism in terms of the geometric shapes, but overall is looking like the overall theme is going to a bit of Decopunk without all the chrome but is going to be a strong allotment of Googie in the terms of the Theme Building at LAX. Googie is ironically spun off of Populuxe, which is for what it's worth a combination of Popular .and luxury. Outside of going back to their 1970s styling of the land in regards, they are gonna need to add more design elements that doesn't give the feel of hyper-sanitized. No-matter how much painted geometry that they try to add, it would have been better to just go full grid from Tron: Legacy and just implement ElecTRONica from California, since dance parties are all the rage. It would have been much better than what ever they are doing.

Let's also be real, the lack of ornaments and the white sanitized look means cheaper to maintain.
It may be worse - Disney has no one working at WDI who knows good from bad.

Flynnwriter

Maybe they should have just stolen something form Hong Kong Disneyland...
5C918CF3-31E0-4425-9A4D-049C636E3798.jpeg

aladdin2007

I agree completely. There have been missteps in the past, but overall, Disney design has been pretty good, even spectacular. Why are they now churning out so much design and architecture that's bad? Did all the good ones go to Universal?

They seem to be on a mission to eradicate all "personality" (theme, details) from everything, from resort rooms to shops in the parks to Epcot Springs just to name a few etc...Its an awful trend that I never thought we would see happen at Disney World.....but as for this tomorrowland sign its definitely sounding like they are not done yet.

TDogg76

Maybe they are waiting for the Yeti to finally be replaced. They will place the broken one sitting on the new sign. Everyone worried about lights...don’t worry, the strobe comes with him! Viola, your new Disco Tommorow land entrance!

peter11435

So TDO just released something to the public that isn't finished? Shocking.
It’s called construction.

They didn’t “release” anything. They are in the process of installing the new sign. It can’t all be done in one night. This is nothing new. Similar installations have happened at Disney parks (and universal) for decades. To try to blame “TDO” is absurd.

KikoKea

Maybe something in the center...tie it into the Astro Orbiter... Repeat the lines of this entry in other architecture...
View attachment 411723
The sphere could be clad in RGB digital screens to be constantly changing ...Evolving, clouds moving , color changes...It could be magnificent...
That would be great- it looks unfinished, as is. I've always liked the lighted orbs, etc because of the color and movement it gave to the land. I'm hoping it is unfinished and there'll be more to it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom