News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

SirWillow

Neat to see the crowds, but not unexpected. There are reasons why they were letting people in at an ungodly hour- they knew they were coming.

Some people will never understand, Disneyland is the worlds largest regional themepark and is mostly a locals park. Therefore, when they blocked out the season passholders. they blocked over 60% of their guests, the attendance went down. WDW on the otherhand is a tourists park. Even many passholders are not local. We have Platinum Plus passes but only vist 4 times a year as DVC owners. The attendance report for the December quarter will show the massive increase in attendance everyone expected but the September 30 quarter may show another decrease as people delayed their vacations until GE opened.
Exactly. Where visitors are from and the percentage that are local passholders is incredibly different at the parks. When they blocked out passes at Disneyland and required reservations, they blocked out 60% of their guests. No wonder it was slow. AP's at WDW are a much, much, much smaller number (I'd guess 10% or less of park attendance)

I’m happy that the reception to this land has been a lot better than the one out at DLR. Hopefully that leads to WDW getting more high quality attractions
Note above. The reason that DL's attendance was down was due to management/ PR screw up blocking out most of their guests, telling the rest they couldn't get in, and then raising the prices to ridiculous levels to boot. Low crowds are NOT a Star Wars issue, they are solely idiotic management decisions on how to handle the new land and the park issue.

How busy do we think it would have been today if WDW has done similar to Disneyland and blocked out APs?

Wouldn't have made much of a difference. The number of passholders at WDW is a vastly smaller percentage of attendance than Disneyland's, and many of them live out of state and only visit 2-4 times a year (like me). Honestly, if they'd blocked passholders at WDW I don't think you would have been able to tell.

bclane

So with a 180 min wait for the ride plus a 2-3 hour boarding group wait time, that's equates to about a 5-6 hour wait then?
That would be assuming everyone that entered the land went straight to the SR queue. Since that probably isn’t actually the case I wouldn’t add the full 2-3 hour boarding time to the wait as part of my calculus. But I would say that the boarding times are doing a good job of keeping the wait times down and I hope they continue this for the foreseeable future.

tirian

If it’s too early to declare one land a “victory”...just like it was too early to declare Disneyland a “defeat”. In a Disney park, quality is Bourne out over time. As it should be.

Indeed...though I don’t expect wdw crowds to be as discerning. They are basically trapped in the maze the place has become.

I agree...but not about the “right park” stuff. If it was more popular from a build/activity standpoint...the DL crowd would be picking up.
In a park with little else to do, SWGE will always look like a victory. Look at the lines for TSMM in DHS versus DCA.

Edit: but that doesn’t solve the land’s poor creative choices regarding content.

sloppy.joey

I was there for the 4:45am land opening and still here. Going back for a 2nd ride in a bit. Was lots of fun.

Got into Ogas in 5 minutes as no reservations taken. Ate some food, drank some milk.

Also nice “shiny”, “today only” park maps given out with falcon on them 🤩
Notice the maps ARE FLIPPED! Goodbye ungodly cardinal maps!

mikenatcity1

I was there for the 4:45am land opening and still here. Going back for a 2nd ride in a bit. Was lots of fun.

Got into Ogas in 5 minutes as no reservations taken. Ate some food, drank some milk.

Also nice “shiny”, “today only” park maps given out with falcon on them 🤩

Is the Oga's menu for the morning the same as the rest of the day?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom