Disney and Jon Favreau Joining Forces on “The Lion King”

Tony Perkis

The line has been blurred many times over the past 10-15 years, but some directors still swear that their movies are not "animated".

Part of that is the stigma of being associated with animation because it's still thought of as children's entertainment and not serious cinema.
It’s not that important of a distinction with these mass produced $200m films, but for record keeping, there should be a percentage limit.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I've read that sometimes the people in movies are only pretending to be in those situations and what they're saying was written by someone else!! Is it all just an artifice?!!

seascape

Honestly, at what point do we consider Star Wars and Marvel animations? All the behind the scene stuff is largely green screen and motion capture.
You have a valid point here. The Hulk is animated when in Hulk form. I do think the use of green screen does not make a movie annimated if it is just combining actors and backgrounds. Movies today are too dependent on technology and not enough on story. Character development is left out and if it weren't for the years of MCU movies none of our favorite heros would matter as much as they did. For example, if someone had not watched any of the prior films who would have cared at Tony Stark's funeral? Captain America was a nice movie but still never made me care that much about her. Even in Endgame she was just there. Marvel needs to make her real by letting people know her. The same is true will all the new characters entering the MCU. Just having characters does not matter. We need to really learn who they are so we can really care about them. That takes time and special effects take away that time in an individual movie.

gerarar

Premium Member
Finally got around to seeing this tonight ($5 Tuesdays!!)

Overall impressions were ehhh. I had a few laughs here and there, thanks to Pumbaa and Timon. The "Be Our Guest" scene is probably my favorite scene out of the whole movie.

But it just really lacked emotion imho. I went back and watched Mufasa's death in the original and there was just so much more in that scene compared in the LA.
I was sorta getting bored in some parts, had to look at the time on my watch sometimes lol. The CGI is top-notch, felt like I was watching a nature film in some areas, esp in the transition scenes.

The soundtrack overall is great! That brought some feels at least.

But compared to Disney's other big live action movie this year (Aladdin), I much prefer that movie over this. I mean TLK was good, but I just don't know honestly. Would probably give this a 6/10

Darkprime

Does anyone know when Disney might announce the digital release date? They announced the Toy Story 4 digital release date which came out the month prior to Lion King. I'm just itching to watch it again already. Spider-Man FFH digital is on the 17th and that released a couple of weeks prior to Lion King. So it must be soon.

Tony the Tigger

Does anyone know when Disney might announce the digital release date? They announced the Toy Story 4 digital release date which came out the month prior to Lion King. I'm just itching to watch it again already. Spider-Man FFH digital is on the 17th and that released a couple of weeks prior to Lion King. So it must be soon.

It’s still in theaters.

Animaniac93-98

The thing about making a "realistic" Lion plush is that

a) it's near impossible to do
b) anybody can do it, because there's almost nothing unique about the design

Those 25 year old Disney drawings? Turns out they still hold up and have exclusive use of them. And they work better as toys.

Thanks for proving my point Disney:

I thought the one on the left was a knock off, but then I realized that was the official version. 😬

Animaniac93-98

Disney apparently submitted it for "Best Motion Picture Musical or Comedy", but was told by the HFP that animated movies don't qualify [anymore, they did in the past].

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
"Live Action" Lion King has been nominated for Best Animated Feature for this year's Golden Globes.

Golden Globes is a farce whether they agree with what I like or not... their awarding protocols are laughable, and often up for sale. The emcees often joke about what a joke the GGs are.

Thought experiment time: Take all the critics of Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes and then limit their scores to just under a hundred of them who live in Southern California and cover media for foreign press.

The resulting score is: who cares?

Darkprime

Golden Globes is a farce whether they agree with what I like or not... their awarding protocols are laughable, and often up for sale. The emcees often joke about what a joke the GGs are.

Thought experiment time: Take all the critics of Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes and then limit their scores to just under a hundred of them who live in Southern California and cover media for foreign press.

The resulting score is: who cares?

This is why I don't understand why all the Hollywood trades are freaking out about the lack of woman getting nominated in the GG this year. Since when did we start taking the GG seriously? Did I miss something?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
This is why I don't understand why all the Hollywood trades are freaking out about the lack of woman getting nominated in the GG this year. Since when did we start taking the GG seriously? Did I miss something?

It's easiest to go offense with people you don't like!

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
This is sad.

I wish the story made sense.

It sounds like both MPC shut down and that MPC still exists.

I think what was meant that MPC shut down its Vancouver Studio. Which makes the narrative about not getting enough money from Disney for its work sound a bit off. Or was that studio underbidding to MPC?

I don't know. It's all muddled. The writer doesn't know how to tell a linear story.

Certainly is was just one of many many studios that worked on The Lion King. It's not as the clickbait title implies that *the* VFX company that did TLK closed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom