So what changes will we see at DHS GE based on DL GE?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The difference is that Oz is important to that story and well described. The planets of Star Wars are generally not well described. You don’t see or know about much except some basic description like desert or cold or swamp. The Mos Eisley Cantina is a perfect example, a place that so many say they want to visit but if you look, most of the walls are just plain, beige walls without ornament or decoration.

And as Star Wars fans we are used to getting new locaitons with each movie. I don't remember anyone complaing that Empire Strikes back didn't visit any of the same planets at A New Hope.

Capsin4

I know this is a location new to SW and I’ve seen concept art of ships in the land, but After perusing this thread and seeing comments about no music, few ambient sounds and cuts to roaming characters, droids and entertainment I’m wondering how much this feels like SW.

Outside some ships, droids in planters and merch, how much does this place feel like stepping into SW? Is it going to be two obviously SW attractions sitting in the middle of somewhat disconnected theming?

I try to avoid hyperbole, but if they fail in that regard, it’s hard to overestimate how bad it is.

durangojim

Original Poster
I'm just not sure on which land they could have implemented. Endor moon is trees, Hoth is ice, Tatooine is desert. Croissant is a giant city (which would have been really cool). Ok yeah I would have done Croissant with different sections. You could implement the Jedi order, the Emperor and his apprentice at the time, and just about anything really. You could constantly update the land in terms of story as well.
Is Croissant the French planet?;)

RobWDW1971

I have to admire WDI for being this thorough. They obviously were trying. But it's also obvious that they were way overthinking this and these decisions were being made in conference rooms far from Disneyland by people who have never actually worked in a theme park. People who hired in to WDI straight out of college, rose through the ranks and bought a Tesla and a hip mid-century modern house in Glendale, and have no idea how to be a good host to 50,000 customers per day at an amusement park.

Honest question for those that defend the music-less immersion concept:

When Kylo comes out of the ship and the Star Wars music plays while he speaks and then exists, is it:

A). There is a full orchestra hiding inside the Tie Echelon

B). Kylo's robes include several speakers woven in so he can make dramatic entrances throughout the day

Discuss.

durangojim

Original Poster

When Kylo comes out of the ship and the Star Wars music plays while he speaks and then exists, is it:

B). Kylo's robes include several speakers woven in so he can make dramatic entrances throughout the day

Discuss.
I think he’s force projecting the music into our heads.

eddie104

I know this is a location new to SW and I’ve seen concept art of ships in the land, but After perusing this thread and seeing comments about no music, few ambient sounds and cuts to roaming characters, droids and entertainment I’m wondering how much this feels like SW.

Outside some ships, droids in planters and merch, how much does this place feel like stepping into SW? Is it going to be two obviously SW attractions sitting in the middle of somewhat disconnected theming?

I try to avoid hyperbole, but if they fail in that regard, it’s hard to overestimate how bad it is.
Well now I guess we will have to see for ourselves :p

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Discuss.

Reminds of the famous piece of trivia from the movie Lifeboat...

"Asked why he had decided not to have any musical score during the narrative of this movie, Sir Alfred Hitchcock reasoned that the audience wouldn't know where the music was coming from in the middle of an ocean. Composer David Raskin replied "Ask Mr. Hitchcock to explain where the camera came from and I'll tell him where the music comes from." "

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

Reminds of the famous piece of trivia from the move Lifeboat...

"Asked why he had decided not to have any musical score during the narrative of this movie, Sir Alfred Hitchcock reasoned that the audience wouldn't know where the music was coming from in the middle of an ocean. Composer David Raskin replied "Ask Mr. Hitchcock to explain where the camera came from and I'll tell him where the music comes from." "

And why do I sense we are about to learn come January about the little known fact that prison transport carts inside of Star Destroyers play orchestral music while you move from room to room.

erasure fan1

Continues to be insane to me they built a land that you've never seen in the movies, particularly the originals.
I think what gets me about that decision is this. Disney is a company that loves its synergy. So to not have black spire in force awakens, or better yet Rouge one, seems a bit odd. It would have been so simple to incorporate and it wouldn't have needed to be in your face. Just stopping off there to meet someone so you could get a quick glimpse would be all you need. Just a mention in Solo and a comic really wasn't enough. In the end, if Rise kicks butt it really won't matter all that much.

SpoiledBlueMilk

And BTW, this is not some planter tucked away in a corner, this is right in the center of the walkway greeting you in one of the entrances.

"Welcome to Batuu! Are you immersed yet?!"

View attachment 389685

Yes, actually. Star Wars is a dirty, lived-in universe. Batuu is a pre-hyper space trading planet and Black Spire is the oldest outpost. I'd expect to see broken down droids tossed somewhere with vegetation growing over them. Conversely, if it was all clean, pristine and perfect, that would take me out of the immersion.

ppete1975

Yes, actually. Star Wars is a dirty, lived-in universe. Batuu is a pre-hyper space trading planet and Black Spire is the oldest outpost. I'd expect to see broken down droids tossed somewhere with vegetation growing over them. Conversely, if it was all clean, pristine and perfect, that would take me out of the immersion.
I totally agree with you, but I think they could have done better. Maybe make them rusty and aged like they had been there for decades. Little to shiny to totally finish the feeling. But that's a small gripe.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m just curious based on initial reports what changes (if any) we’re going to see when DHS’s opens like having rotating chairs on Smuggler’s Run, or more patient CMs at Oga’s Cantina (although I prefer WDW CMs to DL CMs).

You will see no changes...except they will dump the virtual queuing system if it’s not going to be PACKED.

Wdw is going to suffer the consequences of their bad rollout in anahiem. The street will need to “see” that Star Wars is a tremendous cash cow and will be forever...or the stock won’t go up $0.08 that day...
...so it WILL be packed. Count on it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I totally agree with you, but I think they could have done better. Maybe make them rusty and aged like they had been there for decades. Little to shiny to totally finish the feeling. But that's a small gripe.

Of course they could have done better...they could have built a “lived in” area that that the audience could identify with “living in”

Somebody said it on another thread: “they built a non-descript land that resembles tatooine and jakku - places the characters in the movies are desperate to leave”

5 years at WDI and LFL and that never occurred to anyone, huh?

Good day 🤯

rsm

But it's a film series about a rebellion constantly on the run and heros escaping the bad guys. By nature they're desperate to leave every location, because the only time we see the locations in the movies is when they're being attacked and heading to the next one. There are very few exceptions.

RobWDW1971

One of the key assumptions of the immersion concept is that one wants to be actually immersed in that location. I have no interest in being in a deserted, depressing, bombed out, rusted outpost I've never heard of nor care about. They captured a place nobody ever wanted to go to perfectly. Mission accomplished!!!

wserratore1963

Discuss.
B

Kman101

I have no problem with one non-dairy plant-based “milk”, but dang it, one of the “milks” needs to actually be milk. It’s a texture thing from what I’ve been reading online.

Non-Vegans unite!

Rice and coconut milk doesn't appeal to me. I'm all for healthy but no thanks ...

Darth Snips

One of the key assumptions of the immersion concept is that one wants to be actually immersed in that location. I have no interest in being in a deserted, depressing, bombed out, rusted outpost I've never heard of nor care about. They captured a place nobody ever wanted to go to perfectly. Mission accomplished!!!
Actually, I've been meaning to ask about this. I've seen this complaint a lot, especially on the Disneyland forum. Not to be rude, but I just don't understand this at all.

George Lucas was one of the first people to coin the phrase "lived-in future". Instead of everything being shiny and sleek and beautiful in sci-fi stories (Star Trek, Buck Rogers, etc.), he wanted to show a future that looked old, beat-up, and used. He made the Falcon a hunk of junk; he made Luke's (and Anakin's) home a dirty farm on a dusty world; he made every weapon, ship, and piece of equipment the Rebellion used look like it was on its last leg. True, the OT did have some beautiful locations (Hoth, Bespin, Endor), but he always made sure to show that they were torn by war, corruption, and bloodshed.

Yes, you could have chosen a more attractive locale for a Star Wars Land, but that wouldn't, to me, have embodied Star Wars. When I think of Star Wars, I don't think of sweeping vistas with beautiful architecture and landscaping. I think of wretched hives of scum and villainy.

Also, I don't get the whole "no one wants to be immersed here" critique either. Do you feel the same way about Animal Kingdom? Harambe, Anandapur, and Serka Zong are essentially third-world countries. They're dirty and worn down; they're covered in bike tracks and children's bare footprints; there are power lines hanging everywhere. Objectively speaking, they're ugly. And yet, they are also some of the most well realized theme park areas in the world.

I don't mean to come off as condescending or insulting; I just genuinely don't understand this line of reasoning. If you could elaborate on this, I would love to hear someone explain in more detail why the choice of a war-torn junkyard is a poor one. To me, it seems to perfectly embody the Star Wars tone. If anyone feels differently, I would love to hear your take on this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom