Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

bclane

I’m really hoping that the smaller than expected crowds at DL pushes Disney to actually include (from day one at DHS) things like the Star War themed drones taking off and landing in the distance, interactive droids roaming around, spontaneous stunt shows/roof top entertainment, and more free roaming alien characters in the land. These were all hinted at or rumored before and would really make the land come alive. Either way, I know I will be crying tears of joy when I first visit the place, but I am really hoping they add back in the elements that appear to have been scaled back or cut for DL.

choco choco

But a big part is that Disney tried to simply copy Unis approach to HPL. Franchises are different from one another. What makes one franchise-based Land truly immersive may not work for another. It’s fairly indisputable that the architecture and design of SWL is magnificent. What seems lacking is the experience offered.

Exactly. Knott's in Southern California has had an immersive interactive experience called Ghost Town Alive! since 2016 which mostly involved a storyline sussed out by doing a self-guided tour of actors and spontaneous vignettes peppered throughout Ghost Town and a summation ceremony performed every evening at sunset in the town square. Ghost Town itself had little added for this experience, basically looking as it always has for nigh on seven decades now.

It was rapturously received, adored by the locals and is basically now expected to return every summer. It's basically the counter-argument that franchise IP's are needed to sell a theme park land, or that what ails Galaxy's Edge is a lack of Original Trilogy locales or content or characters - Ghost Town Alive became beloved even though it was none of those things. Knott's seems to remember - or discovered, since they executed something neither Disney/Universal have yet pulled off - that what makes a great theme park is often its sense of play and looseness; or that half the fun of a theme park is watching other people have fun. It's more about a gentle atmosphere than rigid story, and more about silliness than fealty to "theming." I think both studios are getting rather pretentious with their belief in the power of the franchise, and good on Knott's to provide counter-balance to what a good experience actually is.

drod1985

In case we need another reminder.

Just a reminder - this thread is about the opening of a new land in two Disney parks - not a movie discussion. Regardless of the fact that the land is based upon movies. Please keep movie discussions in the appropriate forums so those who are only interested in updates on Star Wars Land do not have to wade through dozens of posts discussing pros and cons of different movies. Thank you.

Epcot_Imagineer

More information from @SWGalaxysEdge; I haven't been checking into the DL SW:GE thread (where they usually post). I'll also post this in the RotR thread.

EDIT: I was hoping that the media tag would show the whole tweet... Here's an image of the explanation for RotR's delays at the moment according to @SWGalaxysEdge.
D_MYOZhXUAAX722.png

ar81

What ever happened to the concept of if you performed bad on the mission your reputation would follow you throughout the land? They advertised this heavily and was supposed to be just one feature of the immersion. I haven’t seen much evidence of this. Was this also cut?

Stripes

What ever happened to the concept of if you performed bad on the mission your reputation would follow you throughout the land? They advertised this heavily and was supposed to be just one feature of the immersion. I haven’t seen much evidence of this. Was this also cut?

ToTBellHop

TeriofTerror

More information from @SWGalaxysEdge; I haven't been checking into the DL SW:GE thread (where they usually post). I'll also post this in the RotR thread.

EDIT: I was hoping that the media tag would show the whole tweet... Here's an image of the explanation for RotR's delays at the moment according to @SWGalaxysEdge.
View attachment 388749

ADA compliance just occurred to them? I have a hard time believing that.

drod1985

Yeah. Forgetting to add shade in Toy Story Land is one thing, but the ADA is literally law and any ride developer is surely intimately-aware of it. Hell, any builder, in general, has to be aware of the ADA.

Even the 23-year old Imagineers aren’t that obtuse.

"Hey folks - bad news. Well gosh darned-it, we forgot to add wheels to the ride vehicles. Couldn't quite figure out why they were just sitting there in the show building, not moving."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom