News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

draybook

Me at Club Cool on our upcoming Labor Day week trip...

Casper Gutman

These changes are clearly an upgrade. WDW is closing Innoventions, a large space with a poorly defined purpose, little coherent theming, and large amounts of open space punctuated by outdated kiosks. But to make up for that, they are going to repurpose Odyssey and WoL and build a new festival center, so we will have THREE NEW large spaces with a poorly defined purpose, little coherent theming, and large amounts of open space punctuated by outdated kiosks.

Oh, and the old festival center by the UK still exists, so maybe four?

EPCOT - come for the cavernous, decaying, pointless interiors, stay because you’re too drunk to find the exit

EPICOT

These changes are clearly an upgrade. WDW is closing Innoventions, a large space with a poorly defined purpose, little coherent theming, and large amounts of open space punctuated by outdated kiosks. But to make up for that, they are going to repurpose Odyssey and WoL and build a new festival center, so we will have THREE NEW large spaces with a poorly defined purpose, little coherent theming, and large amounts of open space punctuated by outdated kiosks.

Oh, and the old festival center by the UK still exists, so maybe four?

EPCOT - come for the cavernous, decaying, pointless interiors, stay because you’re too drunk to find the exit

AND they will spread the *lightly themed warehouses* out across the park as much as possible so you will have to walk in the blistering heat multiple times to do the same things you used to be able to do in just 1 building! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Yankee Mouse

It makes me sad they can't use Marvel in the parks as I feel like having a true Stark Expo would be the only way management would be even remotely interested in keeping EPCOT's roots intact. I know many might just moan at the sound of Marvel, but we all know Disney only uses relevant IP's now so this would be the best case scenario for EPCOT. Ant-Man could easily host a ride similar to Adventure Thru Inner Space & they could fit in a Black Panther pavilion showcasing the technology they use in Wakanda as well. It would bring attendance in while keeping EPCOT's purpose. Much better plan than whatever they are doing with Guardians, which I'll enjoy but it really has nothing to do with EPCOT. To be honest, the rumored remodel doesn't look anything different that what they are doing to our local tired malls out in California. Add some pretty lounge areas, some alcohol, add a movie theater, make it pretty & call it a day. I'm sure it will look nice but not very inspiring like EPCOT is supposed to be
View attachment 385071
View attachment 385072
View attachment 385073
View attachment 385075
View attachment 385074

I get what you are saying and generally agree with you but I don't think adding a pavilion to showcase fictional technology based on the fantasy world of Wakanda would keep epcot's true purpose at all. I guess you could argue horizons did that with the Jules Verne reference but that always felt more inspiring than one based on comic books would be.

Either way, this new direction is so disappointing.

tirian

It makes me sad they can't use Marvel in the parks as I feel like having a true Stark Expo would be the only way management would be even remotely interested in keeping EPCOT's roots intact. I know many might just moan at the sound of Marvel, but we all know Disney only uses relevant IP's now so this would be the best case scenario for EPCOT. Ant-Man could easily host a ride similar to Adventure Thru Inner Space & they could fit in a Black Panther pavilion showcasing the technology they use in Wakanda as well. It would bring attendance in while keeping EPCOT's purpose. Much better plan than whatever they are doing with Guardians, which I'll enjoy but it really has nothing to do with EPCOT. To be honest, the rumored remodel doesn't look anything different that what they are doing to our local tired malls out in California. Add some pretty lounge areas, some alcohol, add a movie theater, make it pretty & call it a day. I'm sure it will look nice but not very inspiring like EPCOT is supposed to be
View attachment 385071
View attachment 385072
View attachment 385073
View attachment 385075
View attachment 385074

The original Communicore and early Innoventions were essentially Stark Expos. The problem is what to put in there, since Disney is definitely not a tech company, and the real ones don’t seem interested in showcasing bleeding-edge tech to the general public.

Internet forums often claim that future tech changes too frequently to place in a theme park, and that people can see it at Best Buy anyway. But that doesn't stop annual trade shows from updating their latest, greatest products each year—many of which are astounding and never go into production, making them true small-scale attractions in their own right.

Those could’ve been the B and C tickets Epcot needs to round out its park. Instead, Disney is hiding the lack of activities by chopping up the large buildings into smaller ones.

You’re not getting anything new, folks. WDI is just making the gaps less noticeable.

trainplane3

The original Communicore and early Innoventions were essentially Stark Expos. The problem is what to put in there, since Disney is definitely not a tech company, and the real ones don’t seem interested in showcasing bleeding-edge tech to the general public.

Internet forums often claim that future tech changes too frequently to place in a theme park, and that people can see it at Best Buy anyway. But that doesn't stop annual trade shows from updating their latest, greatest products each year—many of which are astounding and never go into production, making them true small-scale attractions in their own right.

Those could’ve been the B and C tickets Epcot needs to round out its park. Instead, Disney is hiding the lack of activities by chopping up the large buildings into smaller ones.

You’re not getting anything new, folks. WDI is just making the gaps less noticeable.
Small, simple dark rides in the buildings would be neat. Something along the lines of the Google Assistant "ride".

Hilariously simple yet very charming to sell a piece of tech.

Rich Brownn

The original Communicore was more a supplement to the attractions. You'd visit Universe of Energy to get an overview of the past, present and possible future of Energy. Then in CommunCore you could get more in-depth and hands-on information about Energy (and, of course, Exxon). There was the Future Choice Theater (instant polling), Backstage Magic showing computers, etc. The current Inventions were more stand-alone industry exhibits like you'd find at a tech convention.

tirian

The original Communicore was more a supplement to the attractions. You'd visit Universe of Energy to get an overview of the past, present and possible future of Energy. Then in CommunCore you could get more in-depth and hands-on information about Energy (and, of course, Exxon). There was the Future Choice Theater (instant polling), Backstage Magic showing computers, etc. The current Inventions were more stand-alone industry exhibits like you'd find at a tech convention.
Yes, I know. And they showcased quite a bit of cutting-edge tech in the 80s and 90s.

OvertheHorizon

Technology has made the original business model for Epcot obsolete. Disney could promise companies millions of annual visitors (with good disposable income) to which they could showcase their products and services by sponsoring a pavilion in Future World. Now those same companies can reach the same audiences via the Internet at a lower cost than investing millions annually with Disney.

I would hate to see Epcot lose its promise of showcasing new technology. Perhaps in the same way that they host "food and spirits" festivals for a couple of months at a time, they could host the theme-park equivalent of cutting edge trade shows. I'd be just as happy to schedule my visit during one of those times.

starri42

Technology has made the original business model for Epcot obsolete. Disney could promise companies millions of annual visitors (with good disposable income) to which they could showcase their products and services by sponsoring a pavilion in Future World. Now those same companies can reach the same audiences via the Internet at a lower cost than investing millions annually with Disney.
Exactly.

I would be super bummed if they end up either adding IP to or closing Living with the Land or Spaceship Earth, given that they really are the last vestiges of the nerdy park that nerdy me loved as a child. But I'm 41 now, and society more broadly has completely changed since I was 12 and visiting for the first time. And the 12-year-olds today who are going to go back at 41 doesn't necessarily want the same things I did at that age. Whether this is progress or regress, I guess is up to the individual. I just see it as neutral. Time only flows forward.

I made a trip in January. I hadn't been to Magic Kingdom for 25 years, Epcot and Hollywood Studios for 30, and never to Animal Kingdom. I had a marvelous time. I rope-dropped Mine Train and Flight of Passage, I enjoyed Festival of the Arts, and yeah, I did have an adult beverage or two. I honestly didn't find it better or worse, just different.

OvertheHorizon

I was 38 when I first visited Epcot (72 now). I loved it. And there was the promise of updates to keep up with technology, which never happened quickly enough--in my opinion. Now they are in desperate need of a revamp in the Future World section. I'm not opposed to the use of Disney's IP in newly imagined pavilions, but The Seas is a perfect example of how NOT to use IP. If I want to see Finding Nemo, I can stream the movie. But I'd be happy to have Nemo and his friends help me better understand the ecosystem in which they live. That could capture the imagination of children and the kid inside of all of us by doing so.

I've never understood why Disney, one of the leaders in creativity, can't create a Journey Into Imagination that blows us all away. That's one instance where the original ride was better than its successors, but it could still be SO MUCH MORE!

Jon81uk

I would hate to see Epcot lose its promise of showcasing new technology. Perhaps in the same way that they host "food and spirits" festivals for a couple of months at a time, they could host the theme-park equivalent of cutting edge trade shows. I'd be just as happy to schedule my visit during one of those times.

Exactly, the tech shows are general business to business or business to journalists, they are showing off new products to get store buyers to stock them and journalists to write about them. As @OvertheHorizon stated, if companies want to advertise directly to the public there are multiple different ways they can do that now, including their own social media and youtube and influencers, bloggers and youtubers media.

Jon81uk

I was 38 when I first visited Epcot (72 now). I loved it. And there was the promise of updates to keep up with technology, which never happened quickly enough--in my opinion. Now they are in desperate need of a revamp in the Future World section. I'm not opposed to the use of Disney's IP in newly imagined pavilions, but The Seas is a perfect example of how NOT to use IP. If I want to see Finding Nemo, I can stream the movie. But I'd be happy to have Nemo and his friends help me better understand the ecosystem in which they live. That could capture the imagination of children and the kid inside of all of us by doing so.

I've never understood why Disney, one of the leaders in creativity, can't create a Journey Into Imagination that blows us all away. That's one instance where the original ride was better than its successors, but it could still be SO MUCH MORE!

Turtle Talk is good and often can talk about the sea and other elements, the ride at the beginning of the pavilion is just a rehash of the movie plot when as you say it could give so much more information about the sea life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom