Soarin' Over Cali returns to DCA...why not us??

Smiley/OCD

Original Poster
It make sense for World to be in WDW but that still doesn’t give it an excuse for being worse than original (in minor ways)
Your opinion is duly noted, but IMHO, there are 2 ways the world version is worse than the Cali. version...the picture and the scents being the 2 factors that, to me, are major, not minor.

SteamboatJoe

Your opinion is duly noted, but IMHO, there are 2 ways the world version is worse than the Cali. version...the picture and the scents being the 2 factors that, to me, are major, not minor.
And for me, the total lack of transition in California was a distraction. It's been noted in this thread that California also had imperfect images. To each their own in regards to how major or minor something is.

Smiley/OCD

Original Poster
It wasn't a complaint exactly, it was more of an upset that Epcot didn't have it's own. Everyone loved the original, but, like me, didn't like were it ended up. Along with that everyone knew it was exactly the same as in DCA and we all knew it was California. When I say "we all knew" I'm referring to those of us bordering on insanity that spend hours on Disney Chat Rooms. People that didn't, really weren't aware that it was California completely. As I have said a gazillion times, most of those scenes could have been in multiple places in the country.
I didn't imply that you were one of the complainers...I'm asking where were all the threads when SoC opened at Epcot complaining "how dare they put an attraction that is California based in Florida. I remember when the attraction first opened waiting 90+ minutes in the standby line. All the people that responded to my original post asking why can't we have both by saying because you're in Florida, not California...those are the people I'm questioning...I never saw a thread saying SoC is wrong in Florida, why don't we have a SatW instead...never happened...As far as where the scenes were shot, I personally don't care where they were actually filmed...I just think (again, my opinion and judging by the comments by others) is better visually and a treat to the olfactory sensors. I really wish I put a poll in the beginning of the post, but I think I have the ammo I need.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I didn't imply that you were one of the complainers...I'm asking where were all the threads when SoC opened at Epcot complaining "how dare they put an attraction that is California based in Florida. I remember when the attraction first opened waiting 90+ minutes in the standby line. All the people that responded to my original post asking why can't we have both by saying because you're in Florida, not California...those are the people I'm questioning...I never saw a thread saying SoC is wrong in Florida, why don't we have a SotW instead...never happened...As far as where the scenes were shot, I personally don't care where they were actually filmed...I just think (again, my opinion and judging by the comments by others) is better visually and a treat to the olfactory sensors. I really wish I put a poll in the beginning of the post, but I think I have the ammo I need.
Not a problem... I didn't think that you were talking about me, however, that said. I don't think anybody complained about it being California. It has always been a much loved attraction in Epcot. My thought was if there was any upset is was from those of us (not me) that were more into details of Disney and those that have a unreasonable aversion to "cloning" an attraction. No one that I know of was complaining about content AFAIK.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The original, Cali version was just better...funny, I don't recall ANY complaints before the refurb about the fact we were flying over California while in Florida.

Then you forgot or weren't there. The complaints where there.

The complaints about SoC making no sense in the Land pavilion
The complaints that it was a straight lift with just all the queue elements stripped out
The complaints that it was DL, not WDW in the finale...

Soarin was not liked by many because of the cheap way it was done... but ultimately it's lightning strike blend of accessibility, emotion, and grandeur won over guest small to old.. and the complaints were put aside as lesser than the gains.

30 seconds of searching shows posts like these

It was a very common topic...

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
And for me, the total lack of transition in California was a distraction.

The jump cuts are a artistic choice, not 'lack of'. Hopefully now that SotW 'fixed' that, everyone can see how unbroken the original was in this regard and how contrived and forced it is in the new film.

The one film timed most of the cuts and edits for impact in a great way.

SteamboatJoe

The jump cuts are a artistic choice, not 'lack of'. Hopefully now that SotW 'fixed' that, everyone can see how unbroken the original was in this regard and how contrived and forced it is in the new film.

The one film timed most of the cuts and edits for impact in a great way.
To each their own. It was a choice that wasn't for me.

Smiley/OCD

Original Poster
Then you forgot or weren't there. The complaints where there.

The complaints about SoC making no sense in the Land pavilion
The complaints that it was a straight lift with just all the queue elements stripped out
The complaints that it was DL, not WDW in the finale...

Soarin was not liked by many because of the cheap way it was done... but ultimately it's lightning strike blend of accessibility, emotion, and grandeur won over guest small to old.. and the complaints were put aside as lesser than the gains.

30 seconds of searching shows posts like these

It was a very common topic...
Well, I'm not a premium member, so I wouldn't have knowledge of, nor would I want to know what's being said in the "lounge". I've been a member for 3 years now and don't recall ever seeing a thread about the dislike for SoC...As Taylor Swift sings, "Haters gonna hate..." but it's all ok

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well, I'm not a premium member, so I wouldn't have knowledge of, nor would I want to know what's being said in the "lounge". I've been a member for 3 years now and don't recall ever seeing a thread about the dislike for SoC...As Taylor Swift sings, "Haters gonna hate..." but it's all ok

The thread mentions the lounge... but is not from the lounge. The threads and sentiment was out there and common... even if you anecdotally didn’t see them

Last edited:

Yert3

Gee, I dunno. Maybe because having a film highlighting the regions of the State of California makes no sense in Florida?

I do, though, miss the smell of oranges and forests in my home state. And Sleeping Beauty Castle.
With that logic, none of the locations in the new Soarin’ make any sense, since none of them are in Florida, except for the last scene. World Showcase would also cease to exist. Even The American Adventure, since that’s Pennsylvania and not Florida. I’m not sure why it’s an issue for it to take place in California. We can have pavilions dedicated to other countries but not an attraction dedicated to a state? Even when it first came to Epcot, I thought it was weird they omitted “over California” from the title. It still fits thematically in Epcot in my opinion. Not to mention the scrapping of Jerry Goldsmith’s original score. What an insult to the late legend.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom