News New Stroller Size/Wagon Rules and Enforcement - Effective May 1 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocabear

Interestingly, at Shanghai Disneyland there were no big strollers at all....quite the contrary, they were the very smallest ones and they had one that was even smaller...tiny.

ImperfectPixie

Well a lot of these people are putting kids that are past stroller age into strollers anyway.
That is EXACTLY the problem. People are so determined to spend every waking moment in the parks on the move, and they don't want to listen to kids whining about being tired, so they put kids who are way too old for a stroller in one anyway. The sad part is that it really isn't as enjoyable to do that (or even necessary) for a trip to feel magical. Our best trips are the ones in which we have multiple options for each day and wing it as much as possible - with leisurely breaks throughout the day, or even a big break back at the resort pool.

Incomudro

Well a lot of these people are putting kids that are past stroller age into strollers anyway. That is adding to the congestion. Healthy kids do not need a stroller past the age of 5. Most kids can go all day and then beg to go swimming when they get back to the resort. If a child is too tired to walk by the end of the day, then something went wrong. Either they did not rest enough, or were not fed healthy foods to give their bodies the energy it takes to make it through the day. Millions of children over the years have had no issues with walking in the parks. If your child can not make it, look at how your family is touring. As far as wagons go, I don't like how kids sit in them. Their legs are not in a seated position which can get uncomfortable after a while. With regular strollers, kids can sit and lay back when needed.

The only concession I make for bringing a stroller aged kid in the park, is if that child is the sibling of an older non stroller aged kid and this is the only time - age wise - they can take such a vacation together.

Incomudro

That is EXACTLY the problem. People are so determined to spend every waking moment in the parks on the move, and they don't want to listen to kids whining about being tired, so they put kids who are way too old for a stroller in one anyway. The sad part is that it really isn't as enjoyable to do that (or even necessary) for a trip to feel magical. Our best trips are the ones in which we have multiple options for each day and wing it as much as possible - with leisurely breaks throughout the day, or even a big break back at the resort pool.

Precisely.
Little kids - stroller aged kids (and a bit older) - only know the information about the parks, that the parents tell them.
Kids will enjoy what you show them, and won't know what they missed - because they don't know what else there is.

unmitigated disaster

Yep.
Yep. My father and I went in November. He is ambulatory but 89. Open to close is not an option for him, so we planned to do things from rope drop to about 5 PM and took lots of breaks and had a great time.

ImperfectPixie

The only concession I make for bringing a stroller aged kid in the park, is if that child is the sibling of an older non stroller aged kid and this is the only time - age wise - they can take such a vacation together.
Which was exactly the case for us. Our oldest was almost 8, and our youngest 2 1/2. It would have broken my heart for our oldest to not experience it while he was still young enough to believe in the magic.

ETA: Oldest is now 13...and still believes. Granted, his autism makes him slightly less mature than his peers (not by very much), but I credit Disney with helping to keep the magic alive for him...it's his favorite place in the world and is our family happy place.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

We have spent many days of our WDW vacations watching the ducks or riding IASW over and over. Whatever my kids wanted to do at the time, we did. We wanted our kids to enjoy themselves and have a fun and relaxing time. If that meant that we missed out on a few rides, so what. We are adults and can manage to live without going on space mountain. We chose to have kids knowing that meant that our lives would not be fully our own anymore.

Sparksfly

I'm only posting this once as I don't wish to stay in this thread. The attitudes towards parents and children in here is appalling to say the least and Ill leave it at that. We all have opinions in here...clearly....that's mine. But for those who need this as a medical device I hope this post is informative, and for those who have adverse opinions about the Keenz or any other stroller/stroller wagon...please keep those opinions to yourself when you see these in the parks. They are there for a medical reason.

Attachments

• 20190501_111340.jpg
    20190501_111340.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 311
  • FB_IMG_1556723518503.jpg
    FB_IMG_1556723518503.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 291

trainplane3

I'm only posting this once as I don't wish to stay in this thread. The attitudes towards parents and children in here is appalling to say the least and Ill leave it at that. We all have opinions in here...clearly....that's mine. But for those who need this as a medical device I hope this post is informative, and for those who have adverse opinions about the Keenz or any other stroller/stroller wagon...please keep those opinions to yourself when you see these in the parks. They are there for a medical reason.
I don't think anyone here will complain if it's for a medical related reason. I'm not surprised Disney is making exceptions for said reason.

Edit: Genuine medical reason. Not any kind of "Little Sally wants it because she needs her iPad, 25 backup batteries, 3 coloring books, 10 bottles of water, a camping set, 4 pillows, and 2 pet rabbits at a moments notice and we absolutely have to be in the park from 8am until close with no room breaks at all".

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Imagine, a wagon as a medical device.

Kingoglow

Oh shush with this...I wouldn't trade the memories we made when our youngest was 2 1/2 for anything. It can be done without an obnoxiously large wagon/stroller...you just have to plan accordingly and pay very close attention to your little one's needs (and put them before your own) and be flexible.

I disagree and think you should be shushing. The stroller phenomenon at the parks has become so much of an eye sore. It would be so much better in terms of space and flow if they restricted all strollers from the parks and be done with it.

ImperfectPixie

I disagree and think you should be shushing. The stroller phenomenon at the parks has become so much of an eye sore. It would be so much better in terms of space and flow if they restricted all strollers from the parks and be done with it.
Well, we all know that won't be happening. I could get behind an age limit for strollers - with medical exemptions, of course.

Incomudro

That's funny - I'm a parent, which means I have children.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Looks like people have found a way around the ban less than 24hrs after it went into effect. Because no one will game the system and claim a medical exception when there isn't one ...

If it is a genuine need them I have no issue. However due to your laws Disney cannot ask for proof .

Chi84

Premium Member
I t
Looks like people have found a way around the ban less than 24hrs after it went into effect. Because no one will game the system and claim a medical exception when there isn't one ...

If it is a genuine need them I have no issue. However due to your laws Disney cannot ask for proof .
I think it’s too early to know how it will be enforced. Disney may be dealing with people who came here with a wagon to accommodate a special need without being aware of the ban. Maybe those people are being told it’s a one-time exemption for the first few weeks of the rule change. We don’t know yet.

polynesiangirl

The only thing I'll add to this discussion is that we couldn't WAIT to be done with strollers at WDW, oh my LORD. The minute our youngest was old enough to go without one (I want to say he was 3-ish? I don't remember anymore...) we were like GOODBYE FOREVER STROLLERS, HOORAY. 😄

Obviously I completely understand that some have legitimate medical reasons for continuing to use them (and of course I've got no issue with that.) Honestly overall it's not even that I have that much of a problem with other people using strollers as much as they do, it's more that I can't imagine wanting to use a stroller longer than you need to, or wanting to use the biggest stroller possible. Dragging them onto the buses, having to constantly park it in the stupid stroller parking lots (and then trying to figure out where the CMs shuffled it to while you were on the ride), trying not to run over other people, the times your preschooler decides to try to bolt from the thing while you're on the move, having to either rent one or haul one from home onto a plane...ugh. It's such a pain in the butt. I suppose people must be doing it to "maximize" their park time, but personally I definitely don't miss our stroller days. The extra storage was kind of nice, but not worth the added hassle to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom