Trip Report *COMPLETED* Once Upon a Christmas Time...A Very Merry Trip Report

Hello Everyone!

We just returned from yet another WDW visit this past weekend and with the holiday season quickly approaching I wanted to make sure I at least started our report before Christmas knowing that I would easily let this slip into January if I didn't.

Just to refresh your memory, this was the first trip we planned as DVC members having joined the club in March. Something we should have done years ago but better late than never, I guess! For those of you who may want to do some pre-reading, here is a link to the pre-trip report that started early this year and now seems so crazy to think the trip has already come and gone.

With that short preamble...let's start the show!

The Main Characters
My wife, Kelly, and I, along with our two Disney Princesses, Ella (7), and Lennon (5).

MK_MSCONFEC_20160808_7766697622_zpslcr5ylvk.jpeg

Here we are on our summer 2016 visit.

The Script
Once our DVC membership was completely finalized in March and we had access to the booking system we started thinking about our next visit. Kelly and I had spent Christmas in WDW way back in 2009 and we loved how the parks looked and felt decorated for the holidays. We figured this would be a great opportunity for us to head back around Christmas time and give the girls their first taste of a Disney Christmas.

Originally we booked accommodation for December 7-16 at our home resort, Saratoga Springs, and waited for the 7-month window to open to have access to other DVC options. Once the window hit we made our move. Our intention was to try and get the Grand Floridian knowing it would be next to impossible with a backup plan of either the Beach Club or Wilderness Lodge. Both BC and WL were available and we eventually decided on the BC because of the great Boardwalk location.

After we secured a one-bedroom villa at BC we decided to add another day to the trip because...well, why not! The 6th was not available at the time at BC so we ended up booking the additional night at AKL. I would periodically check back to see if the BC was open and one day, to my surprise, a one-bedroom lake view at the GF popped up. I quickly called the member line and made the switch from AKL to the Grand thinking this was likely the only chance we'd ever get to stay there so might as well take advantage.

Now we were all set and all that was left to do was wait out the remaining months and for once look forward to winter!

We planned and planned and planned as the days ticked by. Kelly and I escaped kid free to Denver in November to watch the GOAT, Tom Brady, crush the Broncos...something I have always wanted to do and finally was able to check it off the bucket list.

Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr
Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on FlickrUntitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on FlickrUntitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on FlickrUntitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on FlickrUntitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr

Once we returned it was all Disney, all the time as we were now less than a month away!

Zipadeelady

According to the online menu for the Tune-In lounge, the PB&J shake is available:

View attachment 269855
Awesome! Thanks!

That's one thing I don't think I've had yet! I think the girls may have split one a few trips back but even that I can't recall. Might have to add it to the list for next time!

You'll have to give it a try. I never would've ordered it, it's just nothing that sounds good to me, but after seeing everyone say how delicious it is I had to give it a try and it was.... delicious. It's on our list for this summer!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Awesome! Thanks!

You'll have to give it a try. I never would've ordered it, it's just nothing that sounds good to me, but after seeing everyone say how delicious it is I had to give it a try and it was.... delicious. It's on our list for this summer!

I kinda have that same feeling toward it but does seem to be a big hit. I’ll give it a go next time.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Quick question. I noticed that a few times you mentioned going to a popular ride and getting a "return time". How does that work? When you return, do you go in the FP+ line? I hadn't heard of this before.

Thanks for reading along, John. Because Ella is type 1 diabetic, we've been able to acquire a guest assistance pass for her. In perfect conditions, her glucose levels are wildly unpredictable and anytime we vacation it's always a bit of a guessing game how her body is going to react.

With the typical Florida heat, though not necessarily on this trip, she tends to have more variation in her levels so trying to avoid standing in the heat for longer periods of time can be a benefit in keeping her more consistent. I know most queues aren't entirely outdoors or anything but even so it helps us avoid having an incident while being stuck in a line.

With the GA pass you speak with a CM at the entrance of the attraction and they will scan your magic band and give you a time to return to the ride. Usually, it's the length of the standby line minus 10 minutes. When your return window opens you go through the FP+ line and scan your bands.

It's definitely been useful for us and we probably take advantage of it more than we need to but at the same time, it has been a big benefit for us especially visiting during the warmer months. With her body changing so much, keeping her levels consistent is a major challenge so any help we can get is always a plus. I will say this trip was the first we've taken since she started wearing a constant glucose monitor which we can use our phones to check her level at any given time without drawing blood and that really made a big difference.

amjt660

Premium Member
Thanks for reading along, John. Because Ella is type 1 diabetic, we've been able to acquire a guest assistance pass for her. In perfect conditions, her glucose levels are wildly unpredictable and anytime we vacation it's always a bit of a guessing game how her body is going to react.

With the typical Florida heat, though not necessarily on this trip, she tends to have more variation in her levels so trying to avoid standing in the heat for longer periods of time can be a benefit in keeping her more consistent. I know most queues aren't entirely outdoors or anything but even so it helps us avoid having an incident while being stuck in a line.

With the GA pass you speak with a CM at the entrance of the attraction and they will scan your magic band and give you a time to return to the ride. Usually, it's the length of the standby line minus 10 minutes. When your return window opens you go through the FP+ line and scan your bands.

It's definitely been useful for us and we probably take advantage of it more than we need to but at the same time, it has been a big benefit for us especially visiting during the warmer months. With her body changing so much, keeping her levels consistent is a major challenge so any help we can get is always a plus. I will say this trip was the first we've taken since she started wearing a constant glucose monitor which we can use our phones to check her level at any given time without drawing blood and that really made a big difference.
This is an example of the Guest Assistance Pass being properly used.
Thank you for the explanation and for sharing with us
I am glad that Disney offers a system that allows Ella and the rest of you to enjoy the parks with what I assume is a lot less stress.

Max

John Dulmage

Thanks for the response. I think that's great that Disney lets you do that. I know it must be scary for you as parents to worry about her. Now that I think of it, the other trip report that I read that used this also had a child with a special medical need. FYI (not trying to play doctor) but my SIL is type 1 diabetic (uses an insulin pump now) - but, he has reduced his insulin levels drastically when he (and now all of us) started going Gluten-free about 10 months ago. Good luck in the future and I love your report and enjoy reading about your family. We went to WDW with my daughter and aforementioned SIL and 3 grandkids in June 2016 and a lot of your report brings back great memories of that trip!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
December 14 – Breakfast, Hollywood Studios, and EPCOT

As we awoke to start our next day, it was starting to sink in that we only had two park days left on the trip. What started out as seemingly more than enough time to do and see everything we wanted to, had now turned into a scramble to try and squeeze in the things we had yet to accomplish.

On this morning we were heading to our last character meal, a new one for us, dining with Ariel, Eric, Flynn, and Rapunzel at Trattoria al Forno. We had early reservations as the restaurant was a quick walk across the Boardwalk and we wanted to make sure Ella ate a decent time for her blood sugar levels.

We were up and ready to roll and the girls made sure they were dressed to impress the characters.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/21jKLJ6]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

I know Kelly was trying to get a shot of the kids, their dresses, and the restaurant sign but can’t help feeling she had some ulterior motive in that shot…

We walked through the doors and checked in. I had never been to this restaurant before so it was cool to check out something new. The setting is very nice and just based on the look of the place I would definitely come back again on a future trip.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/255MfJk]IMG_1691 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

We were seated pretty quickly and given the opportunity to mull over the menu before the characters started arriving. The kids were very happy to order Flounders flapjacks, Kelly ordered the Tower of Pancakes and I settled on the Royale Breakfast. Our server left us with some pastries, coffee and juice to enjoy while we waited for the meal and the arrival of the characters.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/ExgBvh]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

Lots of young families were seated in the restaurant and all the kids went crazy when the first announcement was made introducing the first guest. After the short intro out walked Ariel. We were somewhere in the middle of the room so we had a bit of time to wait for her to drop by.

As we watched Ariel make the rounds our food was delivered and we started to dig in. Between the pastries and the first few bites of the meal, we were most satisfied with the food.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/ExgAgo]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/D2iFmg]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

We didn’t get through much of the meal before Ariel stopped at our table. By then Flynn Ryder was next to enter the dining area and start his visits. Ariel was most impressed with the outfits and the autograph books. Kelly put in a ton of time arrange for all of that…kudos to her for pulling everything off.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2412j1d]IMG_1700 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2412hV7]IMG_1702 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

Before Flynn arrived the girls were lucky enough to walk hand in hand with Ariel as they made their way around the restaurant a few times as part of a morning celebration. They were loving it.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2412kZo]IMG_1696 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

Flynn was his sweet talking self and won over the girls with the smoulder
[url=https://flic.kr/p/255LXPP]IMG_1710 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/255M3TB]IMG_1705 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

Selfie time...
[url=https://flic.kr/p/22Ex3Sc]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

Hey...wait a second...
[url=https://flic.kr/p/FqEM6X]IMG_1709 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

Rapunzel was next to visit and she hit it off right away with Ella because of her dress.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/255LTpr]IMG_1714 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/255Lstp]IMG_1717 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/22jMgY3]IMG_1719 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

And finally, Prince Eric was the last to greet the table. He seemed pretty sweet on Lennon. She pulled off the Ariel outfit all too well.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/23HGeqX]IMG_1724 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/22jMeRY]IMG_1725 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/22jMdvb]IMG_1729 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

With the character visits completed and the last of our meals finished, we settled up using our dining plan and made our way back to the stroller to head over to Hollywood Studios for the morning. All of us left the restaurant feeling pretty good about our first experience at the Trattoria. The food was really good, the setting was quite nice and the interaction with the characters was top notch. We had a lot of fun. Great way to start the day.

I think we would definitely go back but only if we were staying in the Boardwalk area again. Though I guess with Uber and the Minnie Van service it does make taking a more direct route a little easier so who knows.

Just before we loaded up to make the walk to DHS, we snapped a few photos around the Boardwalk. It was a gorgeous morning and barely any people around which made for a nice backdrop. Plus the kids were feeling very Disney in their outfits.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/HHNqon]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/21Am1mN]Disney World - 2017 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
And with that, we set off down the walking path towards DHS for our final visit of the trip.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
This is an example of the Guest Assistance Pass being properly used.
Thank you for the explanation and for sharing with us
I am glad that Disney offers a system that allows Ella and the rest of you to enjoy the parks with what I assume is a lot less stress.

Max
We try not to abuse it too much because we are really thankful that Disney has allowed us to take advantage of this option. I will say it is something we've relied on more than a time or two to avoid massive lines (like FoP during this trip) but for the most part, we try to keep that to a minimum.

Thanks for the response. I think that's great that Disney lets you do that. I know it must be scary for you as parents to worry about her. Now that I think of it, the other trip report that I read that used this also had a child with a special medical need. FYI (not trying to play doctor) but my SIL is type 1 diabetic (uses an insulin pump now) - but, he has reduced his insulin levels drastically when he (and now all of us) started going Gluten-free about 10 months ago. Good luck in the future and I love your report and enjoy reading about your family. We went to WDW with my daughter and aforementioned SIL and 3 grandkids in June 2016 and a lot of your report brings back great memories of that trip!

Not a problem. It is a nice option to have and does make things a little easier, that's for sure.

Thanks for sharing about your SIL. Oddly enough, we went on this trip thinking it would be the last time Ella could eat freely, or as freely as a T1D can. All her doctors were convinced that she was also allergic to gluten based on some recent testing. We had a biopsy scheduled in January that surprisingly came back negative but in that time we did introduce some gluten free items into the diet. They are still going to keep a close eye on her as it could crop up at any time but at least for now she doesn't have to take on a completely gluten free diet.

Really good to hear that your SIL was able to reduce the insulin levels. What pump does he use if you don't mind me asking?

ELeigh

Just before we loaded up to make the walk to DHS, we snapped a few photos around the Boardwalk. It was a gorgeous morning and barely any people around which made for a nice backdrop. Plus the kids were feeling very Disney in their outfits.

These dresses are adorable, looks like the girls had a magical time at the breakfast!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
These dresses are adorable, looks like the girls had a magical time at the breakfast!

The dresses really turned out well. Kelly ordered them from an Instagram account she follows. Can't recall which one exactly but the woman who made them is a huge Disney fan. We ordered them months before the trip but they ended up arriving just days before we left. They were worth the wait though, definitely added some extra magic to the breakfast.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
His pump is a Paradigm by Medtronic. It is serving him well.

Thanks, John! I've heard a lot about that pump. Happy to know it's working well for him.

Ella is on the Omnipod. Even in the five years since she was diagnosed, it's pretty wild to see how technology is making it easier and easier to manage things.

AKemily

I know Kelly was trying to get a shot of the kids, their dresses, and the restaurant sign but can’t help feeling she had some ulterior motive in that shot…
I didn't even notice you in the picture until you said this. :hilarious::hilarious:

I looove Lennon's Ariel dress! Her "town" dress isn't one you usually see!

AKemily

Also, I think the Rapunzel you had was Ariel when we saw her at TaF! Her eyebrows are kind of red so I wonder if she's usually Ariel. She actually looks more fit to be a Rapunzel to me!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
I didn't even notice you in the picture until you said this. :hilarious::hilarious:

I looove Lennon's Ariel dress! Her "town" dress isn't one you usually see!

Also, I think the Rapunzel you had was Ariel when we saw her at TaF! Her eyebrows are kind of red so I wonder if she's usually Ariel. She actually looks more fit to be a Rapunzel to me!

HA! I had a good laugh when I first saw that picture. Asked Kelly why she couldn't wait another minute or at least frame me out!

I could see her as an Ariel but definitely think she makes a better Rapunzel.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
After a nice walk in the sun to DHS, we arrived not long after park open. We decided we would head right over to Toy Story to see if the line for Woody and Buzz was manageable. We had FP+ for Toy Story Mania but every time we wanted to meet the characters their line times have been crazy.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/ExCo6u]Disney World - 2017 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

Thankfully we arrived to find only about a 20-minute wait so we jumped in line. The queue is actually pretty cool.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/22Ex3sK]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/251Z9sy]IMG_1739 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2411Sq5]IMG_1742 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

Nice to have the chance to fill in the page Kelly created to look like the wallpaper in Andy’s room.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/22jLGPC]STUDIO_PIXARPLCHR1_20171214_407140781374 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

I couldn’t pass up the chance to pose with Woody and Buzz. My five-year-old niece is about the biggest Buzz fan I’ve ever known so we made sure to send the pics to her shortly after we left.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/255LBc6]IMG_1754 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

From there we jumped in line for Toy Story Mania for what was likely our last ride of the trip. We ended up going into the newest loading area which was a first for us.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/21zZVym]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

I rode with Ella this time and it was the final opportunity for Kelly to take the title…needless to say I remain the undefeated champ of the family. At least until we visit again.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/21jKLjt]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/HHNpjt]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

Really can’t wait for this to open up next year.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/D2iCXi]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

From Toy Story, we found a spot at the Disney Jr. show. This is one of the girls’ favourites so we couldn’t go through a whole trip without seeing it at least once. To be honest, I think this may have been the first time I’ve actually seen the show. I always end up going to another ride that we may have FP+ for then subbing with Kelly when the show is over.

The show was pretty good. I didn’t fall asleep like the lady sitting on a nearby bench and the kids were really into it which made it that much better.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/22BSsaf]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

From there we had FP+ for Tower of Terror but since the kids had no interest in riding, they decided to go meet Olaf while I dropped into the Hollywood Tower Hotel.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/D2iC6i]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

Love the theming throughout this ride. Really tough to challenge the overall feel once you walk into the queue.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/D2iCcF]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/HHNoex]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

The ride itself never gets old and even riding as a single, I had a blast. Meanwhile, Kelly and the girls waited through a pretty solid line to be able to give warm hugs to Olaf.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/251YMa3]STUDIO_CELEBRITYACHAR_20171214_407143295866 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

Once I met back up with them it was Kelly’s turn to ride ToT. Me and the girls grabbed some popcorn and found a quiet spot near the ride exit to wait for Kelly. There are some really cool photo opportunities that I’ve never really noticed before. I’m always rushing out to head to the next stop or meet up with the family. Happy to slow it down today.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/FqE5s2]STUDIO_TOWEROFTERRORBRIDE_20171214_8142882267 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/HHNoZk]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

When Kelly came off the ride we were pretty sure we had accomplished what we wanted to for the morning and the kids seemed happy to get back to the hotel and possibly head into the DVC pool for a bit before we made our way to EPCOT for the evening.

We slowly made our way back towards the park entrance but made a quick stop at Starbucks to use up a few snack credits. Kelly got tired of sharing her hibiscus tea with the kids so everyone got their own for the walk back.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/HHNoci]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

By the time we arrived back at the BC, both Kelly and I were pretty hungry so I decided a quick stop at Hurricane Hanna’s was would a better idea than heading to the underwhelming marketplace.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/22Ex1Z4]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

Kelly took the kids back to the room and I waited for our order. Grilled Chicken sandwich for Kelly and the Buffalo Chicken Wrap for me. I also ordered a couple of virgin drinks, a Pina colada and a strawberry daiquiri, as part of our quick service credit. Kelly chose the daiquiri and I enjoyed the colada. Not the best, but not the worst lunch we’d had on the trip. It was quick and hit the spot.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/21jKLGT]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

When we finished eating, Kelly was quite content to relax for a bit while I took the kids to splash around in the pool for a bit. We had the grounds to ourselves which they enjoyed and I am always up for a good soak. My feet were pleased after walking that trail to DHS a few times over the last couple days.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
After our short break back at the hotel, we decided to walk over to EPCOT to get our evening started. We had dinner plans at Via Napoli later on but still wanted to get through a few final things before we bid adieu to the park. I was pretty excited to roll through the rest of World Showcase to collect the remaining passport stamps the girls were missing and Kelly was set on getting to see some charaters we had yet to meet.

As we arrived, we headed straight into WS and started checking out the sights around some of the pavilions we needed to hit up. Morocco was one of the first we walked through. Still can't believe we've never dedicated any time to actually touring through the countries.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/21jKHiP]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/23HFQUe]IMG_1761 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

From there we stopped at China. We found the KidCot station and also found ourselves chatting with an old friend.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/GX2zPj]IMG_1770 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/22jLUKw]IMG_1774 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

On the way out I made a quick loop through the Shanghai Disney showcase. Looks like a really cool set up there. I'm hopeful one day we might venture across the pond to check out some of the other resorts but for now we're pretty happy with DL and WDW.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/HHNkfg]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

After China we strolled through Norway, not for Frozen this time but to collect our passport stamp. There were some really interesting items that caught my eye in the gift shop but not sure I would be brave enough to give something like this a try.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/HHNm9a]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

While we already had our stamp from Mexico, we really wanted to ride the Grand Fiesta Tour once more. Both Kelly and I really enjoyed this cute ride and, again, couldn't believe this was our first trip venturing inside to check things out. We've been missing out for so many years.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/21jKGqg]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Exgx4S]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

Feeling we got our Donald fix, we left the WS and made our way over toward the character meet and greet spots. We were really hoping to meet Baymax along with Joy and Sadness as long as the lines weren't to crazy. All of our walking had made us thristy so we decided that Club Cool would be a good place to stop before moving on.

The girls were happy to try some of the different flavours of soda but I was there for one reason...Beverly. I couldn't get amy takers to join me but that wasn't enough to scare me off.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/23HFNJn]IMG_1763 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

Frankly I didn't think it was too bad. I've had it before so I kinda knew what to expect but it tasted somewhat decent. I was feeling good so decided to have another go at. This time I had a much worse opinion when I was done. One taste, not so bad, any more than that, awful!

We looked around the store for a bit before heading on. There were some cool souvenirs to potentially take home. Ella loves lip balm so she went nuts over this display. Ended up buying a pack of several different soda flavoured lip balms.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/21jKT7r]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/HHNofz]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

We filled up on free drinks, bought our small takeaways and finally made out way over to the characters. The lines weren't crazy but we split up to try and keep them as short as we could. Kelly took the girls to see Baymax, who had the shorter line, and I waited for them to join me to meet Joy and Sadness. I was kinda bummed to miss out on Baymax. I quite enjoyed seeing him last trip. Was very surprised to see just how soft that suit was!

At least the girls enjoyed in me absence.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/FqE5Mv]EPCOT_BIGHERO6CHAR_20171214_407150174591 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/22jLP91]EPCOT_BIGHERO6CHAR_20171214_407150174592 by [[/URL]url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/137503717@N07/]Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

They then met up with me as I had made may way through about half the line so far.
Nothing but good memories here...
[url=https://flic.kr/p/21zZSNb]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

After about 10 minutes or so it was our turn with Joy and Sadness
[url=https://flic.kr/p/22jLRSY]EPCOT_INSIDEOUTCHAR_20171214_407150619504 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/255MjEr]EPCOT_INSIDEOUTCHAR_20171214_407150619518 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/255Mkvp]EPCOT_INSIDEOUTCHAR_20171214_407150619520 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/255MmTp]EPCOT_INSIDEOUTCHAR_20171214_407150619523 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2412tvf]EPCOT_INSIDEOUTCHAR_20171214_407150619536 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

Upon saying our goodbyes it was about time for us to head back into WS to check in for our dinner. We loaded up our stuff and made the walk back, enjoying the last of the sun which was starting to set as we casually strolled around the park.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
We arrived at Via Napoli a little ahead of our reservation time but we checked in and hoped we didn't have to wait too long. The front area of the restaurant was quite busy so I wasn't sure if we'd be getting in anytime soon. We took a seat and waited to be called. We ate at this restaurant for the first time last trip and very much enjoyed it. We were looking forward to another good meal.

And we had some nice ambiance to enjoy while we waited.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/21jKF98]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

Before too long we were called up and escorted to our table for the evening. We had a cool look at the pizza ovens but for whatever reason I didn't get a picture. The restaurant was packed and servers were all over the place. Our server stopped by to take our drink orders and get us started. I debated on what to get but decided to start with a beer flight. Good call by me.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HHNmge]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

By this time, Kelly and I had run out of table service credits on our dining plan but the girls had one last meal each. Not that it mattered or anything but we did find out that the girls meal came with an appetizer on the dining plan, which I wouldn't have guessed but since we knew they wouldn't eat it, Kelly and I decided to take advantage and ordered the bocconcini. It was darn tasty.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/21jKDWi]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

It came time to order meals. Kids went first. Ella was easy, she went with the kids pizza. Lennon, on the other hand, ordered the spaghetti and meatballs, hold the meatballs, and the sauce. So just noodles...not buttered noodles, just plain noodles. Ok, whatever. I ordered the picante pizza and Kelly decided on the penne rosate con pollo.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/22EwZvH]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/HHNiJv]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

I quite enjoyed my pizza. The crust was fantastic. Kelly was not as happy with her meal. She found it to be a bit bland and a letdown from what she had ordered last year, which was no longer on the menu.

We did have an enjoyable time though, so that was good. Our server was fantastic and made for an even better experience. We settled up and decided to carry on for the evening.

Before leaving Italy we made sure to get the passport stamped and head towards the only remaining pavilions we had yet to get stamped, America and Japan.

We found the KidCot stop in America, which was beyond busy for some reason. I realized quickly that a bit of an overzealous CM was definitely taking his time filling out the kids passports and telling jokes far beyond their comprehension. As I waited with Lennon and Ella to get their passports stamped, Kelly had jumped in line for pictures with Santa and Mrs. Claus. It took so long for our CM to finally finish up the passports, all while spouting really awful one liners that were just not funny, that we essentially ran over and jumped right on Santa's lap as soon as we got over there.

Thankfully the kids didn't seem to mind meeting another Santa and the addition of Mrs. Claus was a great touch.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/FqEZtx]EPCOT_AACHARACTER_20171214_407158172718 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/FqF38F]EPCOT_AACHARACTER_20171214_407158172731 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

From there it was over to Japan. We not only wandered the pavilion to find the KidCot area, but Kelly and I stopped for our own memorable nighttime shot.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/22jMCCE]EPCOT_WSCJAPANICON_20171215_407158703588 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

Now with our passports completely full, we made our way back to Future World for our final EPCOT ride, one last spin on Test Track. We were getting pretty close to park close so this was gonna be our last hurrah before heading home and calling it a night. I was able to secure a FP+ for the ride earlier in the day so our timing was perfect. Good way to go out.

We jumped in the queue and made our way through to the design room
[url=https://flic.kr/p/21zZRnA]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/22Ex1aP]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

Not quite the sleek design of a Tesla or something like that but we were ready to put them to the test. We wandered through the rest of the queue until we were in position to load up. We were joined by a couple of single riders and we were ready to roll.

Test Track had become one of the kids favourites so it seemed appropriate to finish the night by speeding down the track.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/22jMEUd]EPCOT_DPIRIDESYSGMTT_20171215_8143204742 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

Thrilling way to out. We were ready to walk back to the Beach Club and look ahead to our final day at the parks. Our last park day was starting with breakfast at Be Our Guest. We planned to spend some time at MK, as we typically do on our final day, and close out the trip at Animal Kingdom. Can't believe it's almost over!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom