Lance Armstrong At The End Of American Adventure

KeithVH

I just found this thread and my first thought is . . . Really? The idea is put forth about a great America sports figure and all people can think of are a few paltry, extremely recent names.

Does no one have any kind of memory? Can we get past 1980? And are the examples posted in this thread, for the most part, what people think of as great?

Is that the impression we want everyone visitor to the Adventure to have? Even people who aren't sports fans could come up with some great names. I agree that there are some questionable names but so many good possibilities exist:

1961 US Figure Skating team
Brian Piccolo
Billy Mills
Arthur Ashe
Jim Thorpe

Took longer to type than even come up with this short list. There are a LOT more. Great American athletes. In all senses of the word.

Hrudey3032

Yeah! We should replace him with the Manning Brothers!
th

They are crime fighters too. The football police!

Mouse3268

I would personally say no to any professional wrestler. Behind the scenes, most of those guys are human garbage. Stone Cold and Hulk Hogan are perfect examples.

I have no issues with Tiger Woods. He cheated on his wife, got caught and fessed up. He lost half his empire, if anyone deserves a second chance, and we Americans are all about second chances, its him. As far as I know, he's had no perfomance enhancing drug issues, he won his championships by hard wok, thats the American way.

Tom Brady has the cheater stigma attached to him, so I would say never.
Peyton Manning seems like a nice guy and a championship calibur quarterback, so I would have no issue.
Lance Armstrong needs to go, the guy is scum.
Michael Phelps is a no. Drug users should always be on the outside looking in.
Tim Tebow would be a wonderful selection.
I would also veto any baseball player from 1990 to 2009 based on all steroid allegations.

Jimmy Thick- Plenty of options.

You do realize that Marilyn Monroe, Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson are all the montage. All drug users, all on the inside.

yoda_5729

I say the whole thing should be a montage of post 1908 Chicago Cubs to remind us all that if you go and and give it your all, you still may be a loser. :lookaroun

Or Manti Te'o since it would be almost impossible to get in too bad of trouble with a life populated by fantasy women......

It's weird that this was posted on the first page, and now with the return of this thread, The Chicago Cubs are the defending WS champs.

Bender123

It's weird that this was posted on the first page, and now with the return of this thread, The Chicago Cubs are the defending WS champs.

Im laughing at all the squeaky clean athletes in the thread that fell apart in the last few years..

Tiger Woods (duh), Manning (allegations of PED), Hulk Hogan (Racist rant), etc...These are actually pretty funny.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
Side note - If you follow the incredibly important history of televised rasslin' here in the U.S., you could argue that WDW is WWF/E and Uni is WCW. Now, after dominating televised wrestling for decades, WWF found itself playing second fiddle for several years to WCW before making a triumphant comeback and eventually crushing the life out of its competition and then absorbing it....Will the theme park wars play out like that? Time will tell.
maxresdefault.jpg

thomas998

Im laughing at all the squeaky clean athletes in the thread that fell apart in the last few years..

Tiger Woods (duh), Manning (allegations of PED), Hulk Hogan (Racist rant), etc...These are actually pretty funny.
I would think the most appropriate athlete to use at the end would be an unknown, unidentifiable kid... such as simply the back of a little kid playing baseball or something... because in all honesty, by the time most of these kids get to even the high school level the cheating and drug use has already started.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Derek Jeter would be a good one to replace Lance. Also need to put the 1980 Men's Hockey Team from the Lake Placid Olympics added back to the show. It was taken out years ago. That team and their winning the Gold Medal is the greatest American sports moment by far. Still gives me chills!

Nix to DJ as MLB suspended him for how many years???, 1980's Mens Hockey Team from Lake Placid HELL YES!

Chef Mickey

Seems part of being an American icon is also having some demons and controversy. Lance and Tiger should definitely be out, but no one is really clean. JFK is highly questionable, yet he's loved. Clinton was a terrible example but is also loved.

Kamikaze

Seems part of being an American icon is also having some demons and controversy. Lance and Tiger should definitely be out, but no one is really clean. JFK is highly questionable, yet he's loved. Clinton was a terrible example but is also loved.

Lance and Tiger are two separate issues completely. Lance cheated in his sport and admitted to it. Tiger never cheated and was a groundbreaking athlete. He had his scandal, sure, but his problem was getting married in the first place. He should have just stayed single and there wouldn't have been an issue. I don't like Tiger at all, personally. But he deserves a spot as a 'legend' even with his adultery.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom