The View from Down Low

GrammieBee

Original Poster
I am grateful that there have been very few negative remarks in the various threads about people in mobility scooters. Obviously there will always be a few inconsiderate people who do not need a scooter but will find it much easier to sit and roll along than walk the long distances required in a Disney Park. They probably think they are much smarter than and superior to the average park guest.

That said, I would like to tell you what it is like to be at a level half that of everyone else. They cannot or do not see me! It is DISNEY World, for gosh sake, and they are busy gawking and looking around. If not that, they are looking at a map, or stop suddenly to take a picture. Probably on our next trip this coming October they will also be walking around with their noses buried in their phones.

I understand all this and am not upset by it, but it means that when I am moving I can't look around and enjoy the surroundings. If they are close ahead of me I have to spend my time looking at feet and legs trying to guess where they are going so I will not run into them. If they are ahead of me, spread out and moving slowly I have to figure out how I can pass them without running over them. I equate it to broken field running in football. If they are coming towards me, I have to stop, hope they see me and let them swirl around me like a rock in the rapids. Then there are those who suddenly decide to run in front of me going from one side of the walk to the other. I am constantly starting and stopping which is very hard on the scooter's transmission. If it is at all crowded, it is extrmely difficult to back up or turn around without my husband "directing" traffic.

The worst time is when there is a tight packed moving crowd. If someone is walking parallel near the front of my scooter and suddenly cuts in front of me, it is impossible for me to stop quickly enough to avoid running over their foot. Fortunately this has happened only twice in the past twelve years.

One thread complaned about a scooter rider beeping at them. I, personally, have never been in a scooter that had a horn any louder than the chirp of a microwave. I have recently mounted a bicycle bell on my scooter and will see if that helps.

This post is becomming much too long. One final thought. Just because I am in my early eighties, cannot walk very far and am using a scooter, does not mean that I am mentally deficient as well!

Last edited:

G8rchamps

I am a stroller pusher and "we" take a lot of heat. I think both have catagories have good riders/pushers and bad ones. I see a lot of legs and feet too watching the wheels of the stroller, but I am 6'2" and can easily see over the crowd as well- It must be tough to be stuck down low and not know that like 2 people over is a clearing...

Cesar R M

I am grateful that there have been very few negative remarks in the various threads about people in mobility scooters. Obviously there will always be a few inconsiderate people who do not need a scooter but will find it much easier to sit and roll along than walk the long distances required in a Disney Park. They probably think they are much smarter than and superior to the average park guest.

That said, I would like to tell you what it is like to be at a level half that of everyone else. They cannot or do not see me! It is DISNEY World, for gosh sake, and they are busy gawking and looking around. If not that, they are looking at a map, or stop suddenly to take a picture. Probably on our next trip this coming October they will also be walking around with their noses buried in their phones.

I understand all this and am not upset by it, but it means that when I am moving I can't look around and enjoy the surroundings. If they are close ahead of me I have to spend my time looking at feet and legs trying to guess where they are going so I will not run into them. If they are ahead of me, spread out and moving slowly I have to figure out how I can pass them without running over them. I equate it to broken field running in football. If they are coming towards me, I have to stop, hope they see me and let them swirl around me like a rock in the rapids. Then there are those who suddenly decide to run in front of me going from one side of the walk to the other. I am constantly starting and stopping which is very hard on the scooter's transmission. If it is at all crowded, it is extrmely difficult to back up or turn around without my husband "directing" traffic.

The worst time is when there is a tight packed moving crowd. If someone is walking parallel near the front of my scooter and suddenly cuts in front of me, it is impossible for me to stop quickly enough to avoid running over their foot. Fortunately this has happened only twice in the past twelve years.

One thread complaned about a scooter rider beeping at them. I, personally, have never been in a scooter that had a horn any louder than the chirp of a microwave. I have recently mounted a bicycle bell on my scooter and will see if that helps.

This thread is becomming much too long. One final thought. Just because I am in my early eighties, cannot walk very far and am using a scooter, does not mean that I am mentally deficient as well!

by any chance you were trying to answer to an already existing forum thread?
because it seems you are, but by mistake you made another thread.

Shellieb1

I am very aware of the people in the scooters and do my best to stay out of there way. What upsets me are that some people that use these scooters do not pay attention to what they are doing. I had my back turned at an attraction in EPCOT and some lady in a scooter ran right into me at full force knocking me down and severely cutting up the back of my legs from the scooter hitting me. I could not walk right for 3 days and all she said was "oh Sorry I was looking the other way." I mean come on, if you are operating one of these things you should treat it like a car and pay attention at all times. What also really got me mad was that a Castmember was standing not that far from the whole thing and never came over to assist me. I still have a scar from the incident too.

DManRightHere

People walking have to put up with the "inconsiderate walkers" as we'll. I was standing in a crowded designated fireworks viewing area at MK last year and some guy with a stroller clearly thought I should have moved for him (even though there was nowhere to go, it was INSANE) and ran over my foot and SHOVED me as he went by while staring at me as he went by with some lady following him yelling sorry (not sarcastically) at me.

That was only one of two incidents on our entire trip though.

Avoid MK fireworks Memorial Day weekend.

stevehousse

I'm surpised with the arthritis in ur old hands, u were even able to type that. Sorry but I don't know any 80 year olds that us a computer or even how to get online at that.

We have had these threads many times here and they all get closed...hopefully this one will too

R W B

I'm surpised with the arthritis in ur old hands, u were even able to type that. Sorry but I don't know any 80 year olds that us a computer or even how to get online at that.

We have had these threads many times here and they all get closed...hopefully this one will too
What the hell is this suppose to be???

My grandmother is 91yrs old and can type just fine. She may need help getting to the website or the web page she wants but she would have no issues typing up something like this then clicking submit.

This post may or may not be a troll but just because you don't know any elderly people that can type doesn't mean all of them can't.

stevehousse

What the hell is this suppose to be???

My grandmother is 91yrs old and can type just fine. She may need help getting to the website or the web page she wants but she would have no issues typing up something like this then clicking submit.

This post may or may not be a troll but just because you don't know any elderly people that can type doesn't mean all of them can't.
A joke...

These scooter threads always lead to no good, it should b closed before anything crazy can happen...

bethymouse

My Mom and Dad both had scooters, and swore to never go back, sadly!:cry: People just seem to ignore scooters, and especially if there's seemingly "nothing wrong with them". My Mom & Dad in their 70's had a very hard time boarding the buses. The CM's were so patient and kind, but man did people stare at my parents! I wanted to knock some blocks off!:mad: At AK, getting to the Safari was horrible! People literally ran in front of my parents to get to the queue first! ( Opening- we had breakfast at Tusker House). The CM's had to warn my parents of the "stampede" of people coming in to get to the ride!:eek:
People in general just need to be more courteous and kind to each other, and not so selfish about "their vacation". We share this one great big beautiful world we call Walt Disney World! We must embrace each other, and smile at each other. After all, it truly is the happiest place on earth!:joyfull:

GrammieBee

Original Poster
OK, I'll bite. Why do scooter threads lead to no good and should be closed? And what the heck is a troll? I admit I am new at this. I do not believe I was answering an already exiisting thread as I was describing but not complaining about the walking skills of other Disney guests as they related to me in a scooter. The purpose of the thread was to let others to know what it was like to be at half the level of others and for them to be aware of the the one situation where running over a foot can not be averted.

sissa216

There unfortunately is a lot of negativity surrounding scooter and wheelchair use, because a few rude people ruin it for everyone else. Of course there will always be people who don't look like they need one- but you never know their circumstance. At the end of a long day, some people can be hot, tired, and cranky, and get irritated watching somebody go ahead of them on the bus. I try to just enjoy the fact that I'm spending time with my family, and don't need one myself. While Disney is very accommodating to guests with all types of needs- it definitely can be difficult to try and navigate large crowds and distances in one. I think that given the choice, many people using a scooter would rather not have to deal with it- so I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they're not scamming.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
OK, I'll bite. Why do scooter threads lead to no good and should be closed? And what the heck is a troll? I admit I am new at this. I do not believe I was answering an already exiisting thread as I was describing but not complaining about the walking skills of other Disney guests as they related to me in a scooter. The purpose of the thread was to let others to know what it was like to be at half the level of others and for them to be aware of the the one situation where running over a foot can not be averted.
Again:

:facepalm:

gwhb75

Hey...I got mentioned in this thread (I'm the one who complained about being beeped at in another thread). I feel like a celebrity now.

OK, but seriously...a horn or a bell????? Should I download a horn app to my phone and use that when I want to get around someone? A simple "excuse me" would suffice.

Jimdalva

I ended up in a wheel chair during our Christmas trip. It was the either chair or give up and go home, I chose the chair. It was NOT fun and I gained a respect and understanding of people with mobility issues. Yes I could still walk short distances but every step was a jolt of pain. My simple knee 'scope' a month earlier I thought was healed an a done deal. However after 3 days of touring it had swelled back up like it was the day after surgery. No one 'see's ' you down there and moving thru the crowd is tuff. Every one took turns pushing me, my wife, my kids and grandchildren. Then pretty quick everyone got tired of pushing me, the kids argued that it was someone else's turn. My hands were rubbed raw on the wheels pushing myself. NO FUN AT ALL

Britt

This was so harsh for me to read. :/ I just can not be so disrespectful to someone over 60. IDK what it is, but this bothered me so much.

ratherbeinwdw

Hey...I got mentioned in this thread (I'm the one who complained about being beeped at in another thread). I feel like a celebrity now.

OK, but seriously...a horn or a bell????? Should I download a horn app to my phone and use that when I want to get around someone? A simple "excuse me" would suffice.
That doesn't work when you're on an ECV. The distance from the people in front of you makes you have to raise your voice quite loud to be heard, then they feel you have just come up behind them and want them to move. They don't realize you've been there for a while trying to get their attention so they'll move their conversation elsewhere. I've had to use a chair twice, and heaven forbid, I may have to use one in May. I've been on both sides. I believe there's an equal number of idiots on both sides of the ECV's/stroller issue.

Redhawk

A joke...

These scooter threads always lead to no good, it should b closed before anything crazy can happen...
My two aunts over 80 both use e-mail, Facebook, etc. -- as do many older folks.

Your "joke" was mean-spirited and not funny. If you don't see a purpose to this thread or simply don't like it, why not just leave it alone?

I'm reading this because my best friend's child must use a wheelchair and I'm encouraging them to go to WDW. It's helpful to get the perspective of those who use wheelchairs and other vehicles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom