News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

Bocabear

I think the Fantasy Springs project will be very popular in Japan...it is all so precious and cute or Kawaii. It will excite 1o year old girls which seems to be an aesthetic they really love there.... But no way would a lot of that fly here... It is nice to see them do something ambitious in thematic construction with all the water... and I guess it is different....
I wish whoever has been working on the plans for WDW had just a little bit of that whimsy for our parks here...

Incomudro

You've never noticed all of those rectangular satellite buildings sprawling out from the main building at Grand Floridian? Those were the DVC additions over a decade or so ago.

Not as jarring as it doesn't hover over-top of the main building like the Poly addition does.
I haven't been near the GF in years.

Disone

Disney has really lost its way with creating unique and immersive resort environments that invoke a specific feeling from guests. As nice as this looks, there is a reason people flock to CR, Poly, GF, WDL, Boardwalk decades later - and this ain't it. I feel like I'm attending a work/corporate conference when I see these sanitized new builds (Disneyland Hotel DVC Tower included)
I want to love it but I land here with you. They can talk about the dozens of artists that created exclusive art inspired by modern Polynesia, sustainable stories , and Disney IP.

But I miss the days when a press release did not have to explain all that to me.... It used to be a much more intuitive experience that was rich with feeling.

At WL no one has to tell you the stories the totem poles are telling you, or what stones from the great fireplace represent for you to be impressed with the place.

Last edited:

davis_unoxx

I want to love it but I land here with you. They can talk about the dozens of artists that created exclusive art inspired by modern Polynesia, sustainable stories , and Disney IP.

But I miss the days when a press release did not have to explain all that to me.... It used to be a much more intuitive experience that was rich with feeling.

At WL one has to tell you the stories the totem poles are telling you, or what stones from the great fireplace represent for you to be impressed with the place.
I agree! When they say sustainable stories what does that even mean? I’m afraid they won’t have any tiki decor at this part of resort which is a shame.

Due to being afraid of “cultural appropriation” which is literally what Disney was built on… theming on different parts of the world.

The Hatbox Ghost

Regarding the current exterior painting seen from the lagoon, has anyone else noticed all the white paint on the right hand side of the tower?

Both artist renderings (original and recent) do not indicate any white in these areas. In person, it almost looks as if they might be trying to tie in, or blend, the white aesthetic of the GF side of the tower on the right, with the brown/beige aesthetic of Poly side on the left. Yuck, I certainly hope not.

monothingie

I'm both Crunchy and Delicious!
Premium Member
I can’t help but wonder about the name, “Island Tower”. It seems so bland and generic, almost as if they were intentionally playing it safe trying to avoid offending someone.

Maybe I’ll feel different when it’s built, but it’s such a radical departure from the bold imagineering work That had been done in decades past.

peter11435

I can’t help but wonder about the name, “Island Tower”. It seems so bland and generic, almost as if they were intentionally playing it safe trying to avoid offending someone.

Maybe I’ll feel different when it’s built, but it’s such a radical departure from the bold imagineering work That had been done in decades past.
I would argue Island Tower is less bland and generic than simply slapping villas before or after the name of the existing resort like they did with GF, BW, WL, BC…..

Jambo Dad

I would argue Island Tower is less bland and generic than simply slapping villas before or after the name of the existing resort like they did with GF, BW, WL, BC…..I
I agree for the most part. Beach club is sort of hidden so it didn’t matter much. If you look at the Grand carefully - it’s a giant box with some detail grafted on i. Boardwalk is less obvious but weak. Boulder Ridge I don’t mind except that’s its color scheme is morose. Riviera is a terrible execution and poorly placed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree for the most part. Beach club is sort of hidden so it didn’t matter much. If you look at the Grand carefully - it’s a giant box with some detail grafted on i. Boardwalk is less obvious but weak. Boulder Ridge I don’t mind except that’s its color scheme is morose. Riviera is a terrible execution and poorly placed.
The interior of grand Floridian is nice…so I don’t mind the bland T form to it.

Boardwalk was purpose built…so I can’t argue that.

Wilderness lodge is great…gutting half of it because they overpriced it to put bland rooms as timeshare 75 feet away from the existing timeshare block is a little suspect

Riviera is…well…

monothingie

I'm both Crunchy and Delicious!
Premium Member
I would argue Island Tower is less bland and generic than simply slapping villas before or after the name of the existing resort like they did with GF, BW, WL, BC…..
From the company that brought you Aulani…

Walt Disney Imagineers worked hand in hand with local artisans and cultural experts to create Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa. Inspired by the natural wonders and rich traditions of Hawai‘i, Aulani Resort is the ultimate family getaway—celebrating the beauty, history and welcoming spirit of the island.

What’s the “Island Tower’s” story? On the way to the Honolulu International Airport in their Uber an imagineer caught a glimpse of a Marriot near the airport and said we need to build that at WDW?

_caleb

At WL no one has to tell you the stories the totem poles are telling you, or what stones from the great fireplace represent for you to be impressed with the place.
The reason they're telling you about the steps they've taken to add an air of authenticity through collaboration with Polynesian artists is that the resulting work isn't going to feel as "Polynesian" to what guests might expect.

The "tiki" aesthetic of the original Polynesian Resort (and the Tiki room, etc.) isn't based on any real cultural influences. It's a romanticized amalgam of exotica that American G.I.s brought back after serving in the Pacific during WW2. I'm a big fan of tiki and the fan-made culture that's developed around it.

As Disney embraces a more truly multi-cultural perspective, they seem to be trying to incorporate actual cultural influences and moving away from artificial/synthetic ones developed through and for an American majority perspective. Because the Island Tower is being creatively developed with actual Hawaiian and Polynesian artists, it's not going to "feel" Post-War Tiki, it's going to be more (modernly) Hawaiian/Polynesian. I think they're hoping that by showing how it's authentic, they can address casual questions about why the whole thing doesn't feel more like Trader Sam's.

BTW, I see this dynamic happening across the Disney Parks. See: TBA, recent updates to the Jungle Cruise, some changes to the World Showcase Pavilions, etc.

Tha Realest

I agree! When they say sustainable stories what does that even mean? I’m afraid they won’t have any tiki decor at this part of resort which is a shame.

Due to being afraid of “cultural appropriation” which is literally what Disney was built on… theming on different parts of the world.

The reason they're telling you about the steps they've taken to add an air of authenticity through collaboration with Polynesian artists is that the resulting work isn't going to feel as "Polynesian" to what guests might expect.

The "tiki" aesthetic of the original Polynesian Resort (and the Tiki room, etc.) isn't based on any real cultural influences. It's a romanticized amalgam of exotica that American G.I.s brought back after serving in the Pacific during WW2. I'm a big fan of tiki and the fan-made culture that's developed around it.

As Disney embraces a more truly multi-cultural perspective, they seem to be trying to incorporate actual cultural influences and moving away from artificial/synthetic ones developed through and for an American majority perspective. Because the Island Tower is being creatively developed with actual Hawaiian and Polynesian artists, it's not going to "feel" Post-War Tiki, it's going to be more (modernly) Hawaiian/Polynesian. I think they're hoping that by showing how it's authentic, they can address casual questions about why the whole thing doesn't feel more like Trader Sam's.

BTW, I see this dynamic happening across the Disney Parks. See: TBA, recent updates to the Jungle Cruise, some changes to the World Showcase Pavilions, etc.
Building that terrible bland hote and calling it authentically Polynesian feels more offensive to that culture than the Tiki aesthetic.

davis_unoxx

Seems like Disney pick and chooses what areas of the world have “culturally appropriate” theming.

They sell Ireland shirts in the UK pavilion, two countries that still have bad blood to this day and had violent attacks up through the 90s.

Also they sell Greek deserts in the Morocco pavilion. Seems like Disney only cares if it’s certain groups.

DisneyOutsider

From the company that brought you Aulani…

What’s the “Island Tower’s” story? On the way to the Honolulu International Airport in their Uber an imagineer caught a glimpse of a Marriot near the airport and said we need to build that at WDW?
Aulani is the name of the resort. Island Tower is not the name of the resort. It's just a quick reference for way finding purposes.

It's more analogous to the two sides of Aulani, name Ewa Tower and Waianae Tower. Pretty similar functional naming conventions.

_caleb

Building that terrible bland hote and calling it authentically Polynesian feels more offensive to that culture than the Tiki aesthetic.
I suppose that’s for the Polynesian artists to judge? And keep in mind that while those are ancient cultures, they’re modern and cosmopolitan, too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom