News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

TheIceBaron

Is there any word on a bigger Trader Sam’s equivalent in this tower if there is no fun rooftop? Or are all those people going to flood the existing one in the Great Ceremonial House?

DisneyOutsider

Is there any word on a bigger Trader Sam’s equivalent in this tower if there is no fun rooftop? Or are all those people going to flood the existing one in the Great Ceremonial House?
I would bet on at least two bars at the new tower, with none of them being tiki bars.

That being said, Trader Sam's is already easily accessible to everyone in the MK-area as is, hotel guests and TTC patrons

Bocabear

The dark roofing makes it look substantially better, imho. The lobby looks very good as well.

Based on what we knew we were getting, this direction definitely feels like a best case scenario.
Does it though? Saying "it could be worse" does not make this feel any better.
Heck, I would go so far as to say the interior looks very beautiful... It just does not look like the resort... It's too modern, lacks all the style and feeling of being at Disney's Polynesian Resort...Looks more like Miami...
boo.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

TheIceBaron

I would bet on at least two bars at the new tower, with none of them being tiki bars.

That being said, Trader Sam's is already easily accessible to everyone in the MK-area as is, hotel guests and TTC patrons

I stayed at Poly a month ago and it was still not easy to get in there, so with added hotel capacity very close by, I worry about it. Yeah everyone in MK area can get there but it’s a little easier if it’s just a short walk away.

DisneyOutsider

Heck, I would go so far as to say the interior looks very beautiful... It just does not look like the resort... It's too modern, lacks all the style and feeling of being at Disney's Polynesian Resort...Looks more like Miami...
boo.
Someone who follows the goings on at WDW closely and who saw the concept art should have known not to expect a continuation of the kitschy mid century tiki theme from the original build. I think that's the context that OP is speaking from

FiestaFunKid

Disney has really lost its way with creating unique and immersive resort environments that invoke a specific feeling from guests. As nice as this looks, there is a reason people flock to CR, Poly, GF, WDL, Boardwalk decades later - and this ain't it. I feel like I'm attending a work/corporate conference when I see these sanitized new builds (Disneyland Hotel DVC Tower included).

I don't know the internal creative structure well - but did Imagineering used to have more involvement on the resort side, and now it's mainly hotel industry hires who skill set is building the latest trends? It reminds me of Mike Brady in The Brady Bunch Movie only being capable of one style.

DisneyOutsider

I stayed at Poly a month ago and it was still not easy to get in there, so with added hotel capacity very close by, I worry about it. Yeah everyone in MK area can get there but it’s a little easier if it’s just a short walk away.
Yeah it's definitely a legit concern. It's also adding demand for the existing monorail station and ferry boat landing, though of I ever stay there I'm likely walking to MK being that close to GF. Will be interesting to see the final amenities line up and how things play out.

TheIceBaron

I think why this hotel specifically stings is because it takes away from the existing property. I am not sure how many people complained about Riviera’s existence because it didn’t replace anything or ruin much. But here it does.

It also stings because we know what Disney is capable of and we are comparing Disney against itself. Otherwise this hotel isn’t terrible per se, just so many things they could have done to mitigate any concerns and they didn’t.

MouseEarsMom33

Disney has really lost its way with creating unique and immersive resort environments that invoke a specific feeling from guests. As nice as this looks, there is a reason people flock to CR, Poly, GF, WDL, Boardwalk decades later - and this ain't it. I feel like I'm attending a work/corporate conference when I see these sanitized new builds (Disneyland Hotel DVC Tower included).

I don't know the internal creative structure well - but did Imagineering used to have more involvement on the resort side, and now it's mainly hotel industry hires who skill set is building the latest trends? It reminds me of Mike Brady in The Brady Bunch Movie only being capable of one style.
The theming of the new cruise ships have been nice. They need more of that talent for the hotels.

DisneyOutsider

I'm mostly relieved that they didn't vomit a Moana-bomb all over the lobby.
DVC seems to be showing more restraint in that area after that Reflections scare combined with the Incredibles re-theme at Contemporary.

FiestaFunKid

I think why this hotel specifically stings is because it takes away from the existing property. I am not sure how many people complained about Riviera’s existence because it didn’t replace anything or ruin much. But here it does.

It also stings because we know what Disney is capable of and we are comparing Disney against itself. Otherwise this hotel isn’t terrible per se, just so many things they could have done to mitigate any concerns and they didn’t.
good points....it also re-affirms a disappointing trend that the new builds have become more homogenized. Gone are the days of the vastly unique experiences of CR, Poly and GF.

SplashJacket

boo.
It’s not really “it could be worse,” but instead, given what we already know about the project and what is getting built, they didn’t have to make any changes to the exterior, but instead they did, and they improved it.

We could complain about it getting built to begin with (but we already did) but now we know it’s getting built, and to me, it went from going from bad to good. Baffling to making sense.

DisneyOutsider

I'm concerned now when I stay at GF that monorail will be full
They could alleviate this in the future with a new fleet with open gangways optimized for capacity, but I'm guessing that most here would complain about that as well.

Maybe a new fleet could also decrease headways for the MK loop, but there may be other limitations preventing that.

James Alucobond

Oh my gosh, all it takes is some brown paint and everyone suddenly loves this monstrosity? Nothing about this update makes me feel ANY better about this being here. The lobby is drab and boring and could fit in any luxury hotel brand. The exterior is still just as drab as before; it's just brown now. I am astonished at the change in attitude here based on this update.
There is a significant gulf between “this paint scheme looks a bit better than what was originally proposed” and “this now looks amazing”.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom