News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
True, and I am generally happier with the cleaner designs of many of Disney's new hotel rooms (e.g. Yacht & Beach Club). I think their lobby redesigns, though, have generally been downgrades that suggest an aversion to theming in hotel design, for example with random decorations and furniture that seem like they have been sourced at Crate and Barrel.

We'll see with this one, it could be that the finishings and fittings will end up looking nicer in the final designs.
I can do without silly bedspreads and furniture in rooms…

…but the lobbies, amenities, common spaces should be themed. I know where to find a Marriott if I want one (at 1/2 the price)

In the Parks
No
Oh my gosh, all it takes is some brown paint and everyone suddenly loves this monstrosity? Nothing about this update makes me feel ANY better about this being here. The lobby is drab and boring and could fit in any luxury hotel brand. The exterior is still just as drab as before; it's just brown now. I am astonished at the change in attitude here based on this update.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Is this the first official confirmation we're getting that a restaurant will be in there, or did I miss something earlier?

It was plainly obvious in the original concept art, but they never put it in writing that I can recall.
IMG_0287.jpeg

From the original concept art. If that’s not a restaurant I don’t know what else it could be.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’d wonder how big of a price difference is between lagoon view and parking lot view.
There will be a similar point gap as there is at bay lake and grand Floridian for comparables

One cool thing about the poly is that since it’s entirely inside the Monorail loop, you get at least that view even on the parking lot side

You would also get a view of the golf courses and Epcot/studios in the distance on the upper floors

DisneyOutsider

I don’t know if they will or not. It’s is a prime location, just not sure if the market they are targeting for this tower cares about the Marriott style of it.
It's more aesthetically pleasing than the Riviera build-out with a much more substantial lobby, has a better location as you mentioned, and comes with none of the re-sale restrictions that Riviera has. I think it will fly off the shelves as fast as they want it to (depending on how they price it and/or incentivise).

Bocabear

You can tell when people hate a project because no updates…

OMG i don't even know what to say....from the logo onward... it looks like French art Deco on the logo and then the interior...is just so wrong..... It is not unattractive... It is pretty enough...Looks like Bay Lake Tower...but wow what a miss for the Polynesian.... it is very sad to see. I had high hopes at one point, but this kind of seals it...

TheIceBaron

There will be a similar point gap as there is at bay lake and grand Floridian for comparables

One cool thing about the poly is that since it’s entirely inside the Monorail loop, you get at least that view even on the parking lot side

You would also get a view of the golf courses and Epcot/studios in the distance on the upper floors

Yeah I mean I don’t want it to sell well because I don’t like the tower but not sure what price guests would be willing to pay for the non lagoon facing rooms compared to what Disney thinks they are willing to pay.

DisneyOutsider

Oh my gosh, all it takes is some brown paint and everyone suddenly loves this monstrosity? Nothing about this update makes me feel ANY better about this being here. The lobby is drab and boring and could fit in any luxury hotel brand. The exterior is still just as drab as before; it's just brown now. I am astonished at the change in attitude here based on this update.
Vast majority of folks here seem to agree with you. Not sure where you're sensing any kind of vibe shift.

ToTBellHop

The Parks Blog doesn't mention a restaurant anywhere, nor does Scott Gustin.
From the press release:

The Island Tower at Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows aligns with Disney's 2030 environmental goals while providing Guests with the experience and features they expect from Disney Vacation Club. The tower is projected to use approximately 30 percent less energy than a typical resort of a similar size through a variety of measures, including optimized heating and cooling systems, energy-efficient lighting, and the first all-electric kitchen on Walt Disney World Resort property within the tower's restaurant. Furthermore, the majority of the tower was constructed off-site using pre-fabrication techniques that help minimize construction waste. Like Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows, the tower will be a part of the Florida Department of Environmental Protection's Green Lodging program, which recognizes lodging facilities that make a commitment to conserve and protect Florida's natural resources.

In the Parks
No
From the press release:

The Island Tower at Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows aligns with Disney's 2030 environmental goals while providing Guests with the experience and features they expect from Disney Vacation Club. The tower is projected to use approximately 30 percent less energy than a typical resort of a similar size through a variety of measures, including optimized heating and cooling systems, energy-efficient lighting, and the first all-electric kitchen on Walt Disney World Resort property within the tower's restaurant. Furthermore, the majority of the tower was constructed off-site using pre-fabrication techniques that help minimize construction waste. Like Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows, the tower will be a part of the Florida Department of Environmental Protection's Green Lodging program, which recognizes lodging facilities that make a commitment to conserve and protect Florida's natural resources.
Where is the press release? I just saw the Parks Blog announcement and Gustin.

SplashJacket

View attachment 784670View attachment 784671

Comparing the original concept art to the new one I’m most disappointed at the dramatic cutback of greenery on the facade. It’s most noticeable at the corner where the left wing meets the center, but it’s apparent throughout the entire building.

You can also tell they really scaled back the size of the windows/doors, especially on the upper floors.

I think the darker color roofs are an improvement though.
The dark roofing makes it look substantially better, imho. The lobby looks very good as well.

Based on what we knew we were getting, this direction definitely feels like a best case scenario.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom