Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Better than Ministry of Magic? Probably. I'm guessing less screens and less potential for motion sickness.

Better than Monsters? I'm giving 50/50 chance, because I want Monsters to deliver more than any other EU ride.
Ministry of Magic will almost certainly be the most impressive ride in the world.

Universal isn’t obsessed with screens anymore, either.

BrianLo

Ministry of Magic will almost certainly be the most impressive ride in the world.

I absolutely hope so. But Gringotts also sounded like the most impressive ride in the world, on paper.

Sometimes the execution doesn't stick. Disney is not immune to this, as evidenced.

What's interesting about Gringotts for me was that I got to experience it when the reviews were mostly glowing. I'm interested to see how I perceive these Tokyo attractions I'm 'mostly' unspoiled for.

sonoma15

The rides at Epic Universe are so technologically advanced, that I think the success of those two rides really comes down to how well some of the effects that they are trying to achieve work in reality. I could see it either being kind of cheesy or extremely effective.

UNCgolf

I hope you're right, but I'll believe it when I see it. Universal hasn't built a truly great non-coaster attraction in a long time (at least in the US; I'm not as familiar with what they've done elsewhere). Probably have to go back to Spider-Man -- I know some people would put Forbidden Journey here, but too much of that ride is the really quite poor broom flight simulation which drags down the rest of the experience.

That's not to say all the non-coaster attractions they've built have been bad, because they haven't, but not anything I'd consider among the best non-thrill rides in the world.

Last edited:

Bayou

The rides at Epic Universe are so technologically advanced, that I think the success of those two rides really comes down to how well some of the effects that they are trying to achieve work in reality. I could see it either being kind of cheesy or extremely effective.
Where's all this info from? 🤣 The donkey coaster's cool, but it's not groundbreaking tech. There's no evidence that these two other attractions will be groundbreaking in any way. In my view, Universal isn't quite on the cutting edge at least to the extent Disney is.

sonoma15

Where's all this info from? 🤣 The donkey coaster's cool, but it's not groundbreaking tech. There's no evidence that these two other attractions will be groundbreaking in any way. In my view, Universal isn't quite on the cutting edge at least to the extent Disney is.
Mostly from Alicia Stella at Theme Park Stop. I wouldn't say the Donkey Kong coaster is groundbreaking either but these two dark rides are not the Donkey Kong coaster. The main effect I'm referring to is
that the Ministry ride and Monsters ride will both utilize projection mapped animatronics. Not the same technology as Disney as I believe the faces on Disney's projection animatronics are internal projections.

TalkToEthan

“Almost certainly”. Hmmm???
To be the best/impressive in the world it would have to fire huge on all cylinders:
Facade
Queue
Ride

And I can guarantee it will not be the best facade and likely not the best queue.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Which attraction would you give that honor to today? I don’t feel like there is a clear cut #1.

'Attraction' on the whole is probably Rise.

"Ride" on the other hand is extremely messy. Depends on what one is in the mood for, there's been a lot of good stuff recently.

Shanghai Pirates might be the front runner, it's pretty much all ride and not queue floof. But people like their animatronics.

Mystic Manor? RSR? Hagrid's?

Some might even say Cosmic Rewind. An aberrant Flight of Passage Lover. Definitely some supporters of Forbidden Journey/Spiderman. We can run old-school and say Pirates or HM or Tower of Terror (or Splash). You might even get a rogue vote for Sindbad.

There has been some falls from grace though. JTTCOE I think with time and fading uniqueness has lost its shot at being considered number 1 due to ride length.

Edit - Oh and Guests rate Kilimanjaro the highest I believe. I think that is incredibly under-rated on these parts when we think of typical rides. The best walkthrough attraction in the world is at Efteling-though depends how the entirety of World Showcase is considered.

Last edited:

ThemeParkTraveller

"Ride" on the other hand is extremely messy. Depends on what one is in the mood for, there's been a lot of good stuff recently.

Shanghai Pirates might be the front runner, it's pretty much all ride and not queue floof. But people like their animatronics.

Some might even say Cosmic Rewind. An aberrant Flight of Passage Lover. Definitely some supporters of Forbidden Journey/Spiderman. We can run old-school and say Pirates or HM or Tower of Terror (or Splash). You might even get a rogue vote for Sindbad.

There has been some falls from grace though. JTTCOE I think with time and fading uniqueness has lost its shot at being considered number 1 due to ride length.

Edit - Oh and Guests rate Kilimanjaro the highest I believe. I think that is incredibly under-rated on these parts when we think of typical rides. The best walkthrough attraction in the world is at Efteling-though depends how the entirety of World Showcase is considered.

In terms of ambition and scale, I think Rise would also be the top. The technical achievements are mindblowing (when it was working 100% at least), but it's not going to impress everyone the same due to lacking a large number of AAs. Shanghai Pirates would also get docked a few points for lacking a preshow that most of the other top-tier attractions have. And going old-school we would have to include IJA for sure in that discussion.

UNCgolf

Kilimanjaro is phenomenal but I don't think it's really fair to compare it to "normal" theme park attractions.

mickEblu

My knee jerk reaction was ROTR too but then I thought of how I enjoy some of other attractions you listed more or how Shanghai Pirates looks more impressive. Your post kind of echoes how I feel. There really isn’t a clear cut #1. For a while there I think people had it as Forbidden Journey or Spider-Man at IOA. Having been on FJ at USH I’m not sure I would have ever given FJ that honor, even in the early 2010’s. I’d imagine in 95 and the late 90s people would have said Indy.

ThemeParkTraveller

I wonder with Fantasy Springs on the way, since that area has a Peter Pan mini area, will Peter Pans flight close over at Tokyo Disneyland?

There are no concrete plans for that at the moment, but it wouldn't surprise me to see PPF re-themed or removed as part of a larger Fantasyland renovation. The upcoming closure of Space Mountain and Buzz has indicated OLC is willing to remove rides for the greater good (even opening-day ones).

Stripes

Mostly from Alicia Stella at Theme Park Stop. I wouldn't say the Donkey Kong coaster is groundbreaking either but these two dark rides are not the Donkey Kong coaster. The main effect I'm referring to is
that the Ministry ride and Monsters ride will both utilize projection mapped animatronics. Not the same technology as Disney as I believe the faces on Disney's projection animatronics are internal projections.
The only reason Universal isn’t doing internally projected faces is because Disney has patented their technology.

So they’ve come up with a massively over-engineered solution to get around Disney’s patent. And if the lag between the movement of the Thwomp set piece and the projection mapped face on the Thwomp on the Mario Kart attraction is any indication, I’d say the effect will be ruined often.

That is a huge rectangular block of a set piece. It just moves up and down. And the projection mapping animation is often delayed compared to the set piece movement. It throws off the effect. I have to think it’ll be much worse when it comes to a dynamically moving animatronic.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom