Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

brb1006

Pete just made his Tokyo debut for "Quacky Celebration ★ Donald the Legend!" which celebrates Donald Duck's 90th Birthday.

SplashJacket

IMG_2301.png

It’s a bizarre project.

The hotel overlooks one of the best themed environments anywhere in the world, and yet doesn’t match the same vibe.

But at the same time, there’s this section of the building which looks absolutely whimsical and magical with a Sorcerer Mickey rock water feature. Yet, in the back is a a banal, flat design.

The above photo paints a wild contrast.

aleh021

Agreed. Overall, I believe Miracosta will still be the true gem of Disney hotels at both TDR and other Disney resorts. The Fantasy Springs hotel has some beautiful elements, and some areas fall flat or feel flat. The rooms look flat, and some sides of the building are just flat.

SplashJacket

IMG_2308.gif

Look at this view of Fantasy Springs.

Removing the main hotel makes it absolutely stunning. With the hotel, it dominates and taints the vista.

The higher themed lower building of FS aren’t the issue (they’re gorgeous, fit with the surroundings, and highly detailed). The main tower’s design the problem. Both the scale and aesthetic clash with the naturalistic world around it.

I feel it could’ve used more natural tones (greens, browns, grays, etc) and been more like the Disney Treasure’s lobby—but it seems they went with the Disney Wish’s aesthetic.

TDR lacks a Disney Lodge-style resort (making it the only resort besides Shanghai), so I definitely wish they made Fantasy Lodge with natural woods, greenery, and rocks that better blend into the environment.
IMG_2300.jpeg

IMG_2300.jpeg

Last edited:

ThemeParkTraveller

View attachment 781176

Removing the main hotel makes it absolutely stunning. With the hotel, it dominates and taints the vista.

The higher themed lower building of FS aren’t the issue (they’re gorgeous, fit with the surroundings, and highly detailed). The main tower’s design the problem. Both the scale and aesthetic clash with the naturalistic world around it.

I feel it could’ve used more natural tones (greens, browns, grays, etc) and been more like the Disney Treasure’s lobby—but it seems they went with the Disney Wish’s aesthetic.

TDR lacks a Disney Lodge-style resort (making it the only resort besides Shanghai), so I definitely wish they made Fantasy Lodge with natural woods, greenery, and rocks that better blend into the environment.

I couldn't agree more. OLC have desperately tried to fix the hotel's exterior, but there's only so much you can do with that towering, blocky design (to their credit, it does look better than it did before). It would have been better had they kept the Grand Chateau's design throughout the whole facade instead of having these two contrasting buildings. Feasibly, I'm not sure what more can be done with this existing design other than adding some vegetation to that blocky structure.

The silver lining is that the FS Hotel likely isn't this obtrusive outside of this garden courtyard it shares with the park. I imagine the sightlines are much better once you're within the 3 themed areas. You still have to go to this area here to access the main shop, but otherwise it can be ignored by most park guests unlike the MiraCosta.

sedati

I couldn't agree more. OLC have desperately tried to fix the hotel's exterior, but there's only so much you can do with that towering, blocky design (to their credit, it does look better than it did before). It would have been better had they kept the Grand Chateau's design throughout the whole facade instead of having these two contrasting buildings. Feasibly, I'm not sure what more can be done with this existing design other than adding some vegetation to that blocky structure.

The silver lining is that the FS Hotel likely isn't this obtrusive outside of this garden courtyard it shares with the park. I imagine the sightlines are much better once you're within the 3 themed areas. You still have to go to this area here to access the main shop, but otherwise it can be ignored by most park guests unlike the MiraCosta.
I don't understand the idea that any part of this was a "Fix". The project still isn't finished. Disney often puts scaffolding up and down as a project progresses and makes minor changes along the way. I think the details were always meant to be there, but maybe they weren't finalized until they could do tests at scale to see how they'd look (there was a test done very early on).

I agree that the hotel is an odd mismatch, but can see that the segments seen from the park proper are well themed.

Miracosta should remain the benchmark for in-park hotels as it doesn't look like an in-park hotel. Grand Helios is the worst example by not only looking like a big hotel shoved into a park, but given the most prominent position in the park.

Last edited:

BrianLo

View attachment 781176

This hotel is a massively confusing project. I really wish that basic wing was not visible. But at least it really only impacts the hotel forecourt. Arendelle does an effective job blocking it for the day guests, which is probably why they figured they could 'get away' with it.

I think many of the Tokyo hotels are garish monstrosities, but this takes the cake. That said, the lower levels for the main guest facing presentation are in fact actually nice.

Inside the hotel seems fine. It's nice they have a sweeping lobby, it gives off extra-Disneyfied Grand Floridian vibes.

BUT I do realize the irony that my greatest compliment of this hotel is 'you shouldn't be able to see it that much' 😂

Animaniac93-98

For the “Lodge” cravers:

The Hotel should have been Arendelle lodging with strong timber themes to seamlessly attach to the Frozen section creating a sizable anchor section to Fantasy Springs.

instead of flat tall hotel facades the lodge could have been an extension of the Frozen mountain scape.

Agreed, and it would have been nice if this hotel mirrored Mira Costa in a way by making the hotel the rest of the Arrendelle village.

Bayou

This hotel has made some rather peculiar choices. To start, its aesthetic seems disconnected from the storybook style areas featured within the land. Mixing elements of Classic French Baroque and whimsical Gaudi-inspired architecture, the overall look lacks cohesion. It's odd that luxury rooms boast exclusively Classic French Baroque design while other rooms only showcase fantastical Gaudi-inspired themes. Certain areas feel barren and devoid of style, possibly due to an overemphasis on detailing elsewhere. Its sheer size dwarfs the surrounding land, yet the imagineers took this into account, and made sure it wanes't visible from the themed portions (supposedly). Overall, this hotel seems uncertain of its identity. The imagineers may have made a mistake creating a structure that stands apart rather than complimenting its surroundings.

Bayou

1 FROZEN
2 PETERPAN
3 RAPUNZEL
4 TINKERBELL
Do you think you could add the rides list to your list so we can gauge how these new experiences compare to already existing ones?

Rise of the Resistance, Mystic Manor, Frozen Ever After, Radiator Springs Racers, Enchanted Tale of Beauty and Beast

ThemeParkTraveller

This hotel has made some rather peculiar choices. To start, its aesthetic seems disconnected from the storybook style areas featured within the land. Mixing elements of Classic French Baroque and whimsical Gaudi-inspired architecture, the overall look lacks cohesion. It's odd that luxury rooms boast exclusively Classic French Baroque design while other rooms only showcase fantastical Gaudi-inspired themes. Certain areas feel barren and devoid of style, possibly due to an overemphasis on detailing elsewhere. Its sheer size dwarfs the surrounding land, yet the imagineers took this into account, and made sure it wanes't visible from the themed portions (supposedly). Overall, this hotel seems uncertain of its identity. The imagineers may have made a mistake creating a structure that stands apart rather than complimenting its surroundings.

I guess like Mystic Manor or the Hotel Hightower, the owner of the FS Hotel was also an eccentric globetrotter who liked to mix various architectural styles to an almost garish degree. The official backstory for the hotel seems to back this up. I wouldn't be surprised if this Duchess was revealed to be a S.E.A. member in the future.

One day a Duchess, who loved travel and adventure, discovered the beauty of the springs. Wandering along the rivers and streams of the springs, the Duchess found herself transported to magical places.
The Duchess loved the enchanted springs so much that she built a little summer home nearby.
As more of her friends visited, the Duchess built a grand palace to host them all. Even today, should you follow the water flowing from the springs' source, you would come to fabled kingdoms found in storybook tales.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom