Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Ayla

When innoventions was actually innoventions we were able to test drive Segways.

I even think I remember Segway tours in EPCOT in the world showcase in the mornings before WS was open to guests.
Yes, all in highly controlled environments and the tour was before WS opened. Uncontrolled guests out in the wild? Not a chance.

Disstevefan1

My wife works with high schoolers who know how to explain their anxiety in a way that lets them skip lines…they can go to prom but the Haunted Mansion line gives them anxiety if it’s more than a 13-minute wait.
Is the party over for these high schoolers or will they be able to use the same code words under the new system?

This whole thing will be interesting to watch.

Angel Ariel

Rider switch will, though.

You still get to skip the line.
It really isn't the place of anyone on this thread to determine for anyone else on this thread what appropriate accommodations would be for an individual's condition. These are the types of posts that end up down rabbit holes that aren't necessary or helpful to anyone right now. Mods on another board that I'm on have been pretty clear in recent days to avoid these types of comments, and it has helped to keep the speculation and defensiveness down.

I know the mods here are much fewer in number, and modding is a thankless job, so I'm not proposing they be responsible for anything more. But we as a community can work to avoid it on our own.

RamblinWreck

It really isn't the place of anyone on this thread to determine for anyone else on this thread what appropriate accommodations would be for an individual's condition. These are the types of posts that end up down rabbit holes that aren't necessary or helpful to anyone right now. Mods on another board that I'm on have been pretty clear in recent days to avoid these types of comments, and it has helped to keep the speculation and defensiveness down.

I know the mods here are much fewer in number, and modding is a thankless job, so I'm not proposing they be responsible for anything more. But we as a community can work to avoid it on our own.
While that’s fair, rider switch is functionally the same as DAS for the disabled person.

The only people who can’t be appropriately served by it are those with developmental abilities so severe that they can’t understand or tolerate their party being separated for a ride.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
There is a finite amount of G+ spots available. Yes, in theory, Disney could drastically increase the number if G+/ILL spots available for purchase to iffset the reduction of DAS users, but that seems unlikely since it would create the same issue of long lines and lack of value that got them to this point in the first place.
Genie+ rarely sells out with the exception of a handful of days per year. On those days of genie+ selling out ,LL wait times are definitely longer.

You have the DAS power users who already buy genie+ and they will now be making an extra selection or two each day that would have been time used for DAS. The current amount of DAS users who claim their child is autistic is most likely high. They'll continue to us DAS and most likely buy genie+ as well. Add in the new group of people who will now claim their child has autism (which will definitely happen) and who will also buy genie+ , and then add the people who Disney actually gives DAS to. Now add the people who currently have DAS and don't buy genie+ but will now be denied DAS and will most likely buy genie+

This will all add to the amount of genie+ users increasing and the amount of decreased wait time for standby and LL will be nothing major. Just an observation.

Fido Chuckwagon

So now it's okay if we're given some type of accommodation to also use our money to buy Genie+? Gee, thanks. I really appreciate your permission.
I’m not giving you “permission” to do anything. It appears pretty likely that a bunch of people previously eligible for DAS are no longer eligible. You have three options:
1. Sue Disney. Good luck;
2. Stop Going to Disney;
3. Adapt to be able to still enjoy the parks. That will likely require purchasing Genie+. Right now I think that the majority of guests purchase Genie+, so it’s not like that would be abnormal.

Edit: I guess option 4 is to become really abusive towards the CM’s in the parks. Based on some of the posting in this thread I’m going to guess that a bunch of people are going to choose option 4.

MickeyLuv'r

Ok, well then I expect we will see news stories about people passing out in the lines, throwing up, and having panic attacks and other medical events in the queues of all the Six Flags Parks, Sea World, Universal, Busch Gardens, and local amusement parks any day now.
You've never seen someone throw up at an amusement park?
Have you been to a theme park?

I've been hit by stranger's vomit, like the guy getting off the Mummy who spewed all over me, the ride vehicle, his friend.
For that matter, I've lost my gut quite a few times at WDW. (In the last year even.)
And I can recall it happening to family members...
Also on the way TO Orlando...
At Universal, six Flags, local parks growing up...

If you don't think it happens very often, I got news for you.

You've never seen someone throw up at an amusement park?
Have you been to a theme park?

I've been hit by stranger's vomit, like the guy getting off the Mummy who spewed all over me, the ride vehicle, his friend.
For that matter, I've lost my gut quite a few times at WDW. (In the last year even.)
And I can recall it happening to family members...
Also on the way TO Orlando...
At Universal, six Flags, local parks growing up...

If you don't think it happens very often, I got news for you.
It is pretty obvious he meant ppl throwing up in the lines BECAUSE of the line. Not after riding a roller coaster.

Trauma

You are fine to have that opinion, but for those of us who actually need the current level of accommodation, a simple line re-entry pass isn't going to do a dang thing... Nor is putting me in a wheelchair...
Disney World is now for the healthy only.

Universal still accommodates all disabilities with documentation. So the good news is you can still enjoy the parks there.

lazyboy97o

I have a friend with a condition that is slowly fixing his joints together, for whom it is very painful to sit in a wheelchair but also hard to walk (standing is ok) and he was basically told to get a scooter and drive through most queues.

He decided WDW isn’t for him any more although he also said there are parts of a WDW trip beyond the queues that are also hard. The whole trip is hard. Not sure a bloated Lightning Lane would have helped all that much, though.
This is the exact opposite of what is supposed to happen. And this is exactly why people are getting upset and defensive. This attitude is very much in the vein of the idea that those with disabilities should not be engaged in public activities.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

It's sad to see the small (and typical) group of members on this thread who are quick to judge, point fingers, name call, etc.

We had a forum member share their medical condition of IBS (which is most likely embarrassing to discuss or at the very least is not comfortable to talk about) and they were met with accusations of being able to wait in line for one attraction but not another. The member was guilty until proven innocent in several other members eyes.

It all reminds of the covid thread when we literally had people wishing harm and/or suffering upon others without knowing much beyond a paragraph of text.

Comped

I have a friend with a condition that is slowly fixing his joints together, for whom it is very painful to sit in a wheelchair but also hard to walk (standing is ok) and he was basically told to get a scooter and drive through most queues.

He decided WDW isn’t for him any more although he also said there are parts of a WDW trip beyond the queues that are also hard. The whole trip is hard. Not sure a bloated Lightning Lane would have helped all that much, though.
The problem with my case is that because of my vision issues, it's impossible for me to use a scooter in a manner I'd be willing to do in a crowded park environment. Would not be safe for other guests. (Ironically for me it's almost the opposite, where standing for long lengths of time tends to be the issue, while walking isn't.)

RamblinWreck

Disney World is now for the healthy only.

Universal still accommodates all disabilities with documentation. So the good news is you can still enjoy the parks there.
Which disabilities is Disney not accommodating though?

I’m not looking to belittle people’s needs like some here but it sure seems that Disney is working to accommodate everyone.

They just might not offer you the holy grail of accommodations, that very few people need but everyone would love to have.

Tha Realest

You are fine to have that opinion, but for those of us who actually need the current level of accommodation, a simple line re-entry pass isn't going to do a dang thing... Nor is putting me in a wheelchair...
And you are fine to have that opinion. Clearly Disney disagrees with your assessment that it’s a “need” that can’t be accommodated with something other than DAS

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom