New Tomorrowland. Is this the year it finally gets announced?

mickEblu

Original Poster
Darth Vader meet n Greet was fun. Or maybe it’s always cool doing something new at DL. Weird that such an iconic character is behind a Disney Visa “paywall.” Darth Vader had a real presence at almost 6’8. My son was successfully recruited to the dark side. He has always said his favorite color is red.

Phroobar

I rode Autopia twice yesterday. I think sometimes we forget how much kids love that ride. My 8 year old son who is already bored of MMRR loves Autopia. My three year old daughter loves it as well. I took my time to really take in the atmosphere yesterday and it’s quite nice. Really neat lay out and very pleasant with all of those trees. Takes up a ton of room of course but I’m not sure if it would retain its charm if it got chopped in half. Not sure it needs it but When/ if it goes Electric it’ll probably get a soundtrack. Hopefully just some music and not some sort of radio chatter, narration or them trying to shove a story in there.

I have been in a less critical mood of late but I think TL as a whole isn’t as bad as we think it is. The Autopia/ Subs/ Matterhorn side is beautiful. Yes, it’s a hodge podge of IP (some of which doesn’t belong) and it could use a little refresh but as far as aesthetically I think if they did something with the ugly remains of the Rocket Jets tower (bring it back) and brought back the PeopleMover they’d be like 80% there. Then if they replaced Buzz with a dark ride or use it for show scenes for the PeopleMover, put a nice space themed restaurant in the Carrousel building and something appropriate in the TL theatre you’d have a pretty solid land.
The Autopia is a pretty rare ride in the theme park industry. I can't think of many non Disney parks that still have driving car rides.

mickEblu

Original Poster
My son finally got picked to be the rebel spy on Star Tours… because I asked without him noticing haha. Didn’t realize this was possible but I gave it a shot. Not sure if this was because ai requested it but instead of showing the picture of the rebel spy on the small screen to the far right they showed his picture on the main screen. Anyway it’s crazy that there are apparently 250 combinations and we got nearly the same ride as last time. Wookie Planet - Space Whales and the same ending. Only the intro and the transmission changed. This time Ashoka. 0/2 on Mando/ Grogu.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I rode Autopia twice yesterday. I think sometimes we forget how much kids love that ride. My 8 year old son who is already bored of MMRR loves Autopia. My three year old daughter loves it as well. I took my time to really take in the atmosphere yesterday and it’s quite nice. Really neat lay out and very pleasant with all of those trees. Takes up a ton of room of course but I’m not sure if it would retain its charm if it got chopped in half. Not sure it needs it but When/ if it goes Electric it’ll probably get a soundtrack. Hopefully just some music and not some sort of radio chatter, narration or them trying to shove a story in there.

I have been in a less critical mood of late but I think TL as a whole isn’t as bad as we think it is. The Autopia/ Subs/ Matterhorn side is beautiful. Yes, it’s a hodge podge of IP (some of which doesn’t belong) and it could use a little refresh but as far as aesthetically I think if they did something with the ugly remains of the Rocket Jets tower (bring it back) and brought back the PeopleMover they’d be like 80% there. Then if they replaced Buzz with a dark ride or use it for show scenes for the PeopleMover, put a nice space themed restaurant in the Carrousel building and something appropriate in the TL theatre you’d have a pretty solid land.
At one time I was for getting rid of Autopia because it looked like Disney was never going to modernize it. But since they appear to have committed to updating it to be electric I'm all for keeping it in some form, even if it gets shortened so the rest can be used for expansion.

As for the rest of TL if they could do an overarching theme cool, but otherwise a refresh of everything would be nice including hopefully new attractions to replace older ones like Buzz.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Darth Vader meet n Greet was fun. Or maybe it’s always cool doing something new at DL. Weird that such an iconic character is behind a Disney Visa “paywall.” Darth Vader had a real presence at almost 6’8. My son was successfully recruited to the dark side. He has always said his favorite color is red.
I did the Vader M&G back in 2016 and I was genuinely intimidated by him.
My son finally got picked to be the rebel spy on Star Tours… because I asked without him noticing haha. Didn’t realize this was possible but I gave it a shot. Not sure if this was because ai requested it but instead of showing the picture of the rebel spy on the small screen to the far right they showed his picture on the main screen. Anyway it’s crazy that there are apparently 250 combinations and we got nearly the same ride as last time. Wookie Planet - Space Whales and the same ending. Only the intro and the transmission changed. This time Ashoka. 0/2 on Mando/ Grogu.
I think it depends on the opening scenario. I could be wrong, but I think if it is Vader or Kylo it is on the side screen, but if it is the probe droid it is on the main screen.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I did the Vader M&G back in 2016 and I was genuinely intimidated by him.

I think it depends on the opening scenario. I could be wrong, but I think if it is Vader or Kylo it is on the side screen, but if it is the probe droid it is on the main screen.

Oh you could be right we had the Stormtroopers/ probe droid.

Lol this reminds me of when I first played Vader Immortal on Occulus a few years ago. It was the middle of the night and I was genuinely startled when he first appeared.

Ismael Flores

Anaheim currently gets 236 Megawatts of electricity from a coal plant operating in Utah, and 318 Megawatts of electricity from Natural Gas plants located in Burbank and Anaheim (coincidentally Disney's two towns!). That is 72% of Anaheim's daily use, and almost all of it exclusively after sundown when Autopia cars would be charging for the next day.

Where do you propose Anaheim replaces 72% of its electricity from?
I think i am missing something in this conversation but i am just curious as to why it matter if the cars are charged at night?
True solar energy is not being produced after sundown but that does not mean they stop working. Solar energy can be collected and simple solar backups would allow you to continue using that energy collected.

I use solar energy to charge my car overnight never been an issue whether the sun is out or not. I would think Disney and Anaheim has plans to eventually go away from coal or natural gas and not worry whether the sun is out or not
Or maybe i am just not following the conversation 😁

Last edited:

Nirya

I took my girlfriend for her first trip last week and she somehow got picked to be the spy without me asking. Didn't even have her wearing a First Time button or anything.

J4546

I think i am missing something in this conversation but i am just curious as to why it matter if the cars are charged at night?
True solar energy is not being produced after sundown but that does not mean they stop working. Solar energy can be collected and simple solar backups would allow you to continue using that energy collected.

I use solar energy to charge my car overnight never been an issue whether the sun is out or not. I would think Disney and Anaheim has plans to eventually go away from coal or natural gas and not worry whether the sun is out or not
no you are, but some people are really into identity politics so if anyone ever does anything they dont like, it is deemed as a personal attack and they must make sure to let them know they are wrong.

D.Silentu

Anyway it’s crazy that there are apparently 250 combinations and we got nearly the same ride as last time. Wookie Planet - Space Whales and the same ending. Only the intro and the transmission changed. This time Ashoka. 0/2 on Mando/ Grogu.
I once took a friend to ride it for the first time and we had an opportunity to ride again in the evening. I delightedly anticipated his reaction when he realized the ride changes. Somehow, we got the exact same scenarios as before! As you are saying, the odds of this just boggle me!

TP2000

Don't worry, you aren't missing much. 🤣

I had a neighbor with a Tesla power wall setup, with a roof full of solar panels. I had to dutifully go on the power wall tour several times over the years whenever they had me over, and it is an impressive technology. But on a statewide scale, the technology is just not there yet to store the solar power collected out in Palm Springs at 2pm and then transfer it to Anaheim or throughout California at 2am.

For the most part, California's electric grid transfers over almost exclusively to coal and natural gas plants (and some dams like Hoover, Shasta, etc.) once the sun starts to set. By Midnight, almost all of the electricity Anaheim's electric utility is distributing is coming from their natural gas plants in California, or the coal plant they still use in Utah.

Thus, if Autopia is converted to an EV system with the cars needing to charge up overnight for 12 to 16 hours of use for the next day, the new Autopia would be powered primarily by fossil fuels. You just don't pump it into the cars themselves, you pump it into the giant boilers at the gas plants feeding the SoCal grid overnight.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I once took a friend to ride it for the first time and we had an opportunity to ride again in the evening. I delightedly anticipated his reaction when he realized the ride changes. Somehow, we got the exact same scenarios as before! As you are saying, the odds of this just boggle me!

I dunno how they figure they 250 combos but it just doesn’t seem like it’s working like that in reality. For example I feel like anytime I get Kashyyk I’m on one of the simulators to the left. I wonder if they keep certain profiles to specific simulators. In other words is every single simulator in Star Tours programmed to offer all 250 scenarios?

mickEblu

Original Poster
I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t want a new Tomorrowland. I just want the TL 67 skin and entrance, the PeopleMover to come back, a spinner back on the platform, a Buzz replacement and for them to utilize their empty buildings. I’m not even sure Disney has any incentive to do much more than that. A spinner going back on the platform doesn’t even sound realistic. Outside of the above, Autopia being replaced or shortened for a Fantasyland expansion is the only thing that seems plausible.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
Isn't this ultimately what most of us want to some varying degree?

I think so although you do hear a decent amount of people that are willing to let go of the Subs, Autopia and Star Tours.

My big thing is for the land to give off that TL 67 vibe they have to nail the entrance. Meaning the Astro Orbitor has to go or be moved and I just don’t feel like that’s in the cards.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think so although you do hear a decent amount of people that are willing to let go of the Subs, Autopia and Star Tours.

My big thing is for the land to give off that TL 67 vibe they have to nail the entrance. Meaning the Astro Orbitor has to go or be moved and I just don’t feel like that’s in the cards.
I mean we all talk about the "cool" things that could be done and added to TL in a complete overhaul. But ultimately if they did a TL67 retro futuristic revival I'm pretty sure it would be universally praised by every fan.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I mean we all talk about the "cool" things that could be done and added to TL in a complete overhaul. But ultimately if they did a TL67 retro futuristic revival I'm pretty sure it would be universally praised by every fan.

Exactly so why spend the money if you I don’t have to? They re better off spending it on Avatar and other DL Forward additions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom