New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

ToTBellHop

One has to think those vocally dismissive toward these changes (before even seeing how they work out) have been taking advantage of the system and know, deep down, that they don’t need to skip lines. So the anger comes from the realization that they may have to wait in line like the rest of us. You are welcome to go through the stages of grief though perhaps not here.

News flash: no one LIKES that outdoor queue at TRON in July. But rational people understand it’s part of a summer theme park trip in Florida. We go in summer because the trade off (now) is light crowds and the guarantee that it’ll be warm enough to swim in the outstanding Disney pools (one of the few areas where Disney hotels still excel).

If your only impediment is “Florida is hot and stormy in the summer,” you can just go in January and be happy.

DAS is for those with disabilities rendering them unable to wait in line any time of year. And I have full faith that those individuals and their immediate families know who they are and, further, that Disney will continue accommodating them as they’ve always excelled at accommodating the disabled (certainly better than competitors).

When my kids whine that they are hot, we get ice water (free unlike some theme parks…) and head to an air conditioned ride next. Pool break every afternoon. There are simple, common sense modifications that we make that, for some reason, others cannot?

DAS is for individuals for whom simpler accommodations do not suffice. It’s just like special education in schools. Every child with special needs does not immediately get a 1-to-1 teacher even though that might make things easier. You start with smaller accommodations, increase if necessary, and sunset when no longer necessary. Some kids do get 1-to-1 support and they get it. Just like those who actually need DAS will get it. Others may just need a cup of ice water.

RamblinWreck

One has to think those vocally dismissive toward these changes (before even seeing how they work out) have been taking advantage of the system and know, deep down, that they don’t need to skip lines. So the anger comes from the realization that they may have to wait in line like the rest of us. You are welcome to go through the stages of grief though perhaps not here.

News flash: no one LIKES that outdoor queue at TRON in July. But rational people understand it’s part of a summer theme park trip in Florida. We go in summer because the trade off (now) is light crowds and the guarantee that it’ll be warm enough to swim in the outstanding Disney pools (one of the few areas where Disney hotels still excel).

If your only impediment is “Florida is hot and stormy in the summer,” you can just go in January and be happy.

DAS is for those with disabilities rendering them unable to wait in line any time of year. And I have full faith that those individuals and their immediate families know who they are and, further, that Disney will continue accommodating them as they’ve always excelled at accommodating the disabled (certainly better than competitors).

When my kids whine that they are hot, we get ice water (free unlike some theme parks…) and head to an air conditioned ride next. Pool break every afternoon. There are simple, common sense modifications that we make that, for some reason, others cannot?

DAS is for individuals for whom simpler accommodations do not suffice. It’s just like special education in schools. Every child with special needs does not immediately get a 1-to-1 teacher even though that might make things easier. You start with smaller accommodations, increase if necessary, and sunset when no longer necessary. Some kids do get 1-to-1 support and they get it. Just like those who actually need DAS will get it. Others may just need a cup of ice water.
Since TRON is on the virtual queue, that one might not be the best example.

Someone who has a heart condition that triggers an arrythmia when they get overheated, for instance, might be best served trying to experience that attraction at night, or in the morning. But you don't get much of a choice when it comes to the VQ.

ToTBellHop

But these words out of context can be distorted too.

Is "if I have to" without any consequence? Meaning... take for example the person with the handicap parking because they can't walk long distances... it doesn't only mean they can't physically do it ever, it can mean they have trouble doing so, or even to the point of difficult to do.

Does "if I have to" mean they can tolerate it for 20mins if they have to.. or does it mean "I can do it for hours on end..". The idea of posing for a photo doesn't address this distinction at all.

Can a deaf person read lips enough to get by? Maybe...
Does that mean they shouldn't be offered Closed Captioning because they can get by partially or with difficulty w/o?

I don't know this woman or her issue - but I think taking her as a poster child of the issue of 'need vs want' is not a great platform to preach from.

Severity is hard to communicate and interpret, especially when dealing with topics that are related to coping or tolerance.. instead of physically impossible.

Visiting Disney shouldn't be a matter of 'what you can survive' - Its intended to be an enjoyable experience. From a customer service prospective, that is going to mean trying to make guests comfortable where they can. That is going to open up the discussion to things about what reduces negatives for guests and not just dealing with 'what you can absolutely physically do if you had to'.

And this is why it's difficult to fit one answer to all problems... especially when the solutions include things that people would otherwise .
I find ability to enjoy WDW is more based upon the individual than Disney for most of us. Most people can come in with an appropriate mindset, adequately prepared for the conditions that come from a theme park existing in Central Florida and being extremely popular, and have a great time.

Miserable people are miserable. They post miserably online before their trips, post miserably during their trips about all of the things they’re owed, leave miserable. Say “the magic is dead!” And then do it again. There’s a definite pathology there but not one requiring DAS.

Some people are disabled to the point that even with every reasonable precaution taken, they still can’t wait in line. It’s then that DAS should enter the chat.

For many, DAS is the first crutch and that’s unreasonable.

phillip9698

There’s a lot of gray area between those two examples, I know someone who‘s a veteran who has (had) DAS because of PTSD and severe panic attacks, honorable discharge and full disability from the army… should they get it? 99% of the time they'd probably be fine without it but I’d hate to be in line next to them the 1% of the time they freak out, chances are very high they’re going to barrel over half the line to get out of that situation. The same is probably true of the IBS people and others who technically don’t need DAS until the exact second they do.

The changes are bound to reduce abuse but I also expect more stories coming out of the parks about people pushing their way out of lines in a panic, people fainting in lines, people throwing up in lines… guess that’s just the price that has to be paid to prevent abuse.

Its amazing how so many other theme/amusement parks exist without the level of service that DAS provided and ease of obtainment yet dont have queues that are a panic of people passing out, throwing up, bowling people over, etc.... What is it specifically about Disney that causes these issues?

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Its amazing how so many other theme/amusement parks exist without the level of service that DAS provided yet dont have queues that are a panic of people passing out, throwing up, bowling people over, etc.... What is it specifically about Disney that causes these issues?
What do other parks not offer?

ToTBellHop

I don’t think it’s useful or worthwhile to litigate specific examples here especially when we don’t have all the information (even if some reasons seem ridiculous) let’s just accept that DAS will be more gatekept by Disney and per their new policy, if you do not have a developmental delay you aren’t getting the pass.
I agree with that but we have a litany of people who currently receive DAS who think they understand the ADA better than…anyone.

At the end of the day, this should improve a problematic situation.

UK Disney

Since TRON is on the virtual queue, that one might not be the best example.

Someone who has a heart condition that triggers an arrythmia when they get overheated, for instance, might be best served trying to experience that attraction at night, or in the morning. But you don't get much of a choice when it comes to the VQ.
You still get to go through the LL though, you don't wait in the VQ line.

Angel Ariel

people with disabilities also often have higher rates of anxiety also. The lack of clear information from Disney will heighten anxiety, especially for people with trips near the changeover date. Having anxiety about an upcoming change that there is little clear information about to know whether it will impact you or not doesn't mean one is abusing DAS and doesn't really need it.

ConfettiCupcake

I think the issue is less “who would expect to avoid sun in WDW?” and more “why does avoiding the sun get accommodated with anything but a means to avoid outdoor, mostly unshaded, queues?”

I don’t think they’re going to start squabbling over the legitimacy of someone’s need, rather they are going to be much more directly addressing said need and I imagine the ability to wait elsewhere for every single attraction is going to be a much more rare accommodation.

Fido Chuckwagon

One has to think those vocally dismissive toward these changes (before even seeing how they work out) have been taking advantage of the system and know, deep down, that they don’t need to skip lines.
Oh, it's definitely this. The people protesting the loudest are probably the abusers. If you're in a thread calling posters "inhuman" because they think that a line skip system at a theme park might need to be tweaked, then you're the problem.

Last edited:

Trauma

Oh, it's definitely this. The people protesting the loudest are probably the abusers. If you're in a thread calling people who think that a line skip system at a theme park might need to be tweaked "inhuman," then you're the problem.
Nice there is a whole group of you making ignorant comments.

Did it ever occur to you that there is people that legitimately need DAS that are no longer eligible?

Yes that’s fine it’s Disney’s choice, but people are allowed to voice their displeasure.

lazyboy97o

I think the issue is less “who would expect to avoid sun in WDW?” and more “why does avoiding the sun get accommodated with anything but a means to avoid outdoor, mostly unshaded, queues?”

I don’t think they’re going to start squabbling over the legitimacy of someone’s need, rather they are going to be much more directly addressing said need and I imagine the ability to wait elsewhere for every single attraction is going to be a much more rare accommodation.
And this is something that could have been done with the system. An attraction with indoors queues could have just appeared as unavailable. If it reached a wait time where exterior queues are in use then it could switch over to being available.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom