News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Brer Oswald

If Phantom Manor can work in Frontierland, a flight to the Land of the Dead can. It’s not much more fantastical than Splash/TBA.
Frontierland in Disneyland always had the little Mexican Mesa Town area. To me it’s completely believable. I would just be disappointed if it and Moana were the only major additions to MK (especially since Borge are rumoured to have simulator components to them).

SpectreJordan

I’m in my mid-30s and I don’t really know either of those properties. I doubt most people younger than me would either. They may be classics, but I don’t think they’ve survived in relevancy enough for modern-day attractions.
Yeah, they're not relevant. But if they're going to do more western stuff it makes sense to base it off of actual western characters instead of freakin' Woody.

Ideally, it'd be something original. Get Imagineering's creative juices flowing & potentially give the movie studio a Western IP that they'd fully own.

Dcgc28

I'm 60. They were old when I was a kid.
What you’re about to read is pure opinion:

This is the biggest issue Disney is fighting right now. The IPs that Universal has are so fresh compared to what Disney is able to trot out, I mean we’re still pushing Indiana Jones…the vastly superior story to Indiana Jones has been told, uncharted, and even it’s already 17 years old.

Disney has to get more relatable IP in the parks, they know it. What they don’t know is what their fans want, vs what’s worth the expense it takes to build these things. Which is why they’re forcing it in to parks and resorts just to see what sticks.

The Leader of the Club

This is the biggest issue Disney is fighting right now. The IPs that Universal has are so fresh compared to what Disney is able to trot out, I mean we’re still pushing Indiana Jones…the vastly superior story to Indiana Jones has been told, uncharted, and even it’s already 17 years old.

Disney has to get more relatable IP in the parks, they know it. What they don’t know is what their fans want, vs what’s worth the expense it takes to build these things. Which is why they’re forcing it in to parks and resorts just to see what sticks.
Maybe I’m just not hip, but I can’t think of any “fresh” IP that Universal has access to except Nintendo and MAYBE Despicable Me.

The Potter movies have been done for a decade, HTTYD is done (except the live action version?), Universal Monsters aren’t actively bringing people to theaters, even the Jurassic World movies are maligned despite their box office success.

What franchises does Universal have that I’m supposed to be excited about?

Casper Gutman

This is the opposite of the truth. Most of Hollywood’s key IPs are quite old - the only major live-action franchises created during the 21st century are John Wick, Avatar, and Fast and Furious (barely). Disney and Uni each have one of those and Uni’s is older and fading fast.

Animated IPs are a slightly different matter. Disney animation is actually the only entity in modern Hollywood pumping out successful fresh IPs like Coco (2017), Moana(2016), Encanto (2021), and Frozen (2013). Uni animation creates some fresh material as well, but they’re far more focused on sequels - hence the constant leveraging of older properties like Shrek (2001), Despicable Me (2010), and Kung Fu Panda (2008). Their freshest major franchise is Trolls, which I’d argue is weaker then any of Disney’s recent major IPs.

And calling Uncharted “vastly superior” to Indiana Jones is so mad it strains the boundaries of credibility.

UNCgolf

The Uncharted games are quite good, but they're certainly not better than Raiders of the Lost Ark or Last Crusade (and the Uncharted movie was terrible).

More importantly, there are millions and millions of people who have seen an Indiana Jones movie but have never played an Uncharted game. There aren't very many people who have played Uncharted without seeing at least one Indy film.

Last edited:

The Leader of the Club

More importantly, there are millions and millions of people who have seen an Indiana Jones movie but have never played an Uncharted game. There aren't very many people who have played Uncharted without seeing at least one Indy film.
Games in general just don’t have the broad appeal that movies do. My parents don’t know who Nathan Drake is, but they do know Indiana Jones. I’d wager that 70% of guests at WDW can’t name a Kingdom Hearts character other than Sora.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Zorro - perfect fit for the American Adventure pavilion in EPCOT!

Yes! His story takes place in California!!

Perhaps DCA would like it, too!!

For those who don't know Zorro, Puss 'n Boots (Shrek version) is a take on the genre.

My choice would be a Zorro, The Gay Blade land.

DKampy

You lost me at Uncharted is superior to Indiana Jones… and if that is the franchise people want…. What happened with the film… it should of been a blockbuster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom